Battle of the big girls, 1 on 1??? | The Boneyard

Battle of the big girls, 1 on 1???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the new and well-done Voepel article and elsewhere, there is mention of how UCONN is in trouble if Dolson is in foul trouble.

Easy to understand that stance, and none of us want to see our big girl in foul trouble. But, I can think of worse things that could hamper our chances. Thus far, she has not had a particularly impressive season, in my view.....certainly not like her terrific performance in the Big East (NOT the NCAA) playoffs last year.

And, I do feel pretty good about our other THREE big girls. Buck has played some of her CONSISTENTLY best basketball. She even looked very impressive on offense when she went down low for the one stretch a few games back and had three or four quick buckets. Stokes has shown some encouraging signs, especially early on. And I continue to like the production I see from Johnson during those limited minutes.

You could look at it as having 20 fouls to give out of that position, not just Dolson's five, though given Baylor's rebounding strength, which goes beyond Griner, I think we might need two bigs on the floor at times.....perhaps even alot of the time.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Does one think that Baylor might just be in trouble if Britney Griner is in foul trouble? Talk about pointing out the obvious.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Does one think that Baylor might just be in trouble if Britney Griner is in foul trouble? Talk about pointing out the obvious.
I would be dumbstruck if the refs put her in foul trouble, particularly at home.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would be dumbstruck if the refs put her in foul trouble, particularly at home.
True, but stranger things have happened and any team losing a player like Stef or Britney is going to feel the effect.

Reaction Score
Who does Baylor have if Griner sits on the bench? vs who uconn has if Dolsen sits on the bench, that is what may make or brake either team, that is a comparison someone with more Baylor knowledge than me might want to explore...

Reaction Score
This is one of the most interesting aspects of the game: not only how well the big girls will play, but how deeply they get into foul trouble.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Do you really want to foul BG 20 times? Think a bunch of fouls will make
Geno happy?

You can think of it as 20 fouls if you want to put a solid FT shooter on the line.

If BG is sitting it will be Pope and Williams. Not nearly as big but still two All-Americans. If BG has to sit fora long stretch it will get ugly for Baylor.

Reaction Score
EAST - just back from dinner and evening in our old neighborhood; catching up on the Yard before bed.

Nope, I don't want us to foul the entire Baylor TEAM 20 times, let alone one player. Was just making the point that we have plenty of back-up available, despite the hand-wringing about fouls on Dolson, and COULD elect to have Dolson play an aggressive game going for rebounds and blocks rather than a tentative games. That's an election I would make.

I do agree with you about those other two rebounders for the Bears, thus my comment about maybe needing two Bigs of our own on the floor at times.

All in all, my view is that, foul for foul, one on Griner hurts Baylor more than one on Dolson hurts us -- other views ????? That is by way of saying that, although we're described by some in the know ;) as being a "small" team, i think we have more depth down low than Baylor

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
EAST - just back from dinner and evening in our old neighborhood; catching up on the Yard before bed.

Nope, I don't want us to foul the entire Baylor TEAM 20 times, let alone one player. Was just making the point that we have plenty of back-up available, despite the hand-wringing about fouls on Dolson, and COULD elect to have Dolson play an aggressive game going for rebounds and blocks rather than a tentative games. That's an election I would make.

I do agree with you about those other two rebounders for the Bears, thus my comment about maybe needing two Bigs of our own on the floor at times.

All in all, my view is that, foul for foul, one on Griner hurts Baylor more than one on Dolson hurts us -- other views ????? That is by way of saying that, although we're described by some in the know ;) as being a "small" team, i think we have more depth down low than Baylor

I do agree that UCONN has more depth in the paint. A foul on Griner is much more monumental than a foul on Dolson. Interestingly enough, the fact that UCONN is so guard oriented is an advantage for UCONN to some extent. Dolson doesn't seem to be a focus of the offense so BG taking away the inside game does not affect UCONN like it did Tennessee, which is working very hard to establish Baugh and Johnson. Foul trouble on BG would provide the UCONN guards with an opportunity to get into the lane, which seems to be a main focus of the UCONN offense.

My concern is that Baylor has a tendency not to go to Griner enough early in the game. Even if she does not score a ton early, going to her pays dividends later in the game if they can draw fouls that put the opposing post player(s) on the bench at the end of the game. Contrary to the views of some, BG is very strong at the end of the game. When the game was on the line against Tennessee the LV post players were lagging a bit and she was incredibly powerful going to the basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom