Battle of 6’9”s: Andrea Aquino vs. Nancy Mulkey | The Boneyard

Battle of 6’9”s: Andrea Aquino vs. Nancy Mulkey

Reaction Score
Obviously Mulkey was 2016 and Aquino was 2018, but Mulkey was the higher rated of the two in their respective classes, coming in at #19 by espnW Hoopgurlz and #18 by ProspectsNation while Aquino was ranked #21 and #33. Mulkey is also in her second season of college ball while Aquino is yet to play in a game. Who do you guys see as being the better of the two when their college careers are all said an done?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Didn't know the name Nancy Mulkey (yes, living under a rock). I do know about AA, as I have been watching her "live" at all the OSU Home games this year, during the warm-ups. I cannot wait to see AA on the court next year. I don't see her playing with her back to the basket. AA can handle the ball, has a smooth, beautiful shot from the 3-point line. She is also smooth going to the basket, like a guard. Of course, never seen AA play defense, but given she is practicing with OSU this entire year (as a redshirt), she won't be terrible when she starts her college career next year. I base that upon watching Destiny Slocum's advancement as a defender this entire year. Destiny has really shown solid progress. I'll make sure to take in a Rice game during the NCAA playoffs. Thanks for the tip.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I haven't seen Mulkey with Rice. I did see her twice as a Fr. at Oklahoma when they were out here in Seattle for 1st and 2nd round Tourney games. She didn't really jump out as anything other than just really tall. But that's been 2 years, she may have improved significantly since then.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
She is playing on CBSSN currently for those interested.

Just turned it on, halftime. One of the MTSU players is wearing a face mask that looks like Bane from Batman. :oops:

Reaction Score
I think that C-USA and Rice was a much better fit for Mulkey than Oklahoma and the Big-12 were. Mulkey is a great shot blocker, but not a great rebounder, particularly for 6’9”. The offense definitely runs through her and Ogwumike at Rice. She doesn’t play with her back to the basket, and prefers the 12 footer.

I personally think Aquino will be the better of the two. I think she moves better, is stronger, and more agile than Mulkey.

Reaction Score
I agree that Aquino will the far better of the two. As LOTrader mentioned she as far more developed skills as a freshman than Mulkey even has right now. She has a far deeper shooting range and even though she has been only playing basketball a few years possesses a good basketball IQ.

I will say that Mulkey has improved quite a bit since high school. She was quite effective in the NCAA playoff game Rice lost to Marquette. Marquette was fortunate to win that one. Mulkey was a bad matchup for them both on offensive and defense. Dabball is correct in that Rice seems to be a better fit for her. Probably because they allow her to play the high post on offense and don't attempt to keep her in the traditional low post position on offense. That is precisely what Oregon St will also not do. They will not need Aquino to play a back to the basket post game because they have other players too do that.

Having just watched some film on Oregon St's newest recruit- 6'9" Jelena Mitovic, it would seem that at her height might also be compared to Mulkey. Aquino was far more mobile as a high school Sr. and has far too many other skills to compare with Mulkey in that respect. Still, both are similar in that they like to play facing the basket. Mitrovic, however, plays a traditional back to the basket game and has good post moves. Still while she even though having quick defensive reactions in challenging shots, she does appear to be slower in transition corresponding more to what I saw from Mulkey in high school. Of course, taller players often tend to develop slower than shorter players, so as if seems that Mulkey's transition speed increased the same might also happen in respect to Mitrovic. The film never showed her running down the court and my perspective is based on purely a few steps. So her actual speed down the court is still a mystery.

All three of them appear to see the floor well and are good passers.

It will be playing on the same team with players like Mitrovic, Jones and Morris that will allow Aquino the luxury of never being put in the low post on offense. The other low post options will allow Aquino and Kennedy Brown the option of playing on the perimeter where they can be more effective. Opposing teams will also have to account for either 6'9" Mitrovi, 6'7" Morris or a long-armed Jones playing in the post. This is a luxury that Mulkey does not have. The opposition could double Mulkey even when she was in the high post. Having two tall players on the court at the same time is what made Baylor so effective this season. Except with Oregon state those players will be even taller. In the Jordan Brand AllStar game, they played Kennedy Brown at the wing position so it is conceivable that Oregon St. Could put both her and Aquino in at the same time with one of their traditional posts. That would be a hard matchup on the defensive end for teams.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree that Aquino will the far better of the two. As LOTrader mentioned she as far more developed skills as a freshman than Mulkey even has right now. She has a far deeper shooting range and even though she has been only playing basketball a few years possesses a good basketball IQ.

I will say that Mulkey has improved quite a bit since high school. She was quite effective in the NCAA playoff game Rice lost to Marquette. Marquette was fortunate to win that one. Mulkey was a bad matchup for them both on offensive and defense. Dabball is correct in that Rice seems to be a better fit for her. Probably because they allow her to play the high post on offense and don't attempt to keep her in the traditional low post position on offense. That is precisely what Oregon St will also not do. They will not need Aquino to play a back to the basket post game because they have other players too do that.

Having just watched some film on Oregon St's newest recruit- 6'9" Jelena Mitovic, it would seem that at her height might also be compared to Mulkey. Aquino was far more mobile as a high school Sr. and has far too many other skills to compare with Mulkey in that respect. Still, both are similar in that they like to play facing the basket. Mitrovic, however, plays a traditional back to the basket game and has good post moves. Still while she even though having quick defensive reactions in challenging shots, she does appear to be slower in transition corresponding more to what I saw from Mulkey in high school. Of course, taller players often tend to develop slower than shorter players, so as if seems that Mulkey's transition speed increased the same might also happen in respect to Mitrovic. The film never showed her running down the court and my perspective is based on purely a few steps. So her actual speed down the court is still a mystery.

All three of them appear to see the floor well and are good passers.

It will be playing on the same team with players like Mitrovic, Jones and Morris that will allow Aquino the luxury of never being put in the low post on offense. The other low post options will allow Aquino and Kennedy Brown the option of playing on the perimeter where they can be more effective. Opposing teams will also have to account for either 6'9" Mitrovi, 6'7" Morris or a long-armed Jones playing in the post. This is a luxury that Mulkey does not have. The opposition could double Mulkey even when she was in the high post. Having two tall players on the court at the same time is what made Baylor so effective this season. Except with Oregon state those players will be even taller. In the Jordan Brand AllStar game, they played Kennedy Brown at the wing position so it is conceivable that Oregon St. Could put both her and Aquino in at the same time with one of their traditional posts. That would be a hard matchup on the defensive end for teams.

I still struggle seeing Brown as a Wing. She has great mobility and is very agile but I still don’t see her on the perimeter as much. There was a critical moment in the McDAA game where she was guarding Sammi Puisis(Florida St signee) and she gave up 2 consecutive 3’s, a layup, and allowed a pass for a layup in transition. I understand people don’t put a lot of stock in these games but that’s very telling. She seems like a stretch four to me. Offensively she can knock down open threes but she doesn’t have any type of ball handling skills, can’t take players off the dribble and even when she had smaller players defending her she never once looked to post them up. Maybe Rueck is seeing things I’m not and that’s why he s a D1 coach but I just can’t see her out there as many think. It’s definitely something to watch for.

Reaction Score
Brown did not look to do a whole lot of scoring in either of the games, but I think she will make a very good four. If she can evolve to the point where she can play on the wing (improving speed, ball handling, etc), that would be huge for Rueck, but I don’t see it happening yet.

In HS, I think Aquino played some wing becuase she played with two more traditional post players, one of which is headed to Utah. It will be a lot of fun to watch next season.

Reaction Score
Brown did not look to do a whole lot of scoring in either of the games, but I think she will make a very good four. If she can evolve to the point where she can play on the wing (improving speed, ball handling, etc), that would be huge for Rueck, but I don’t see it happening yet.

In HS, I think Aquino played some wing becuase she played with two more traditional post players, one of which is headed to Utah. It will be a lot of fun to watch next season.

I agree. She is a good passer and would make for a good stretch four. Aquino has more ball handling so she could float there a little bit but she too seems like a stretch four. It will be interesting yet exciting to see a team that tall on the floor at once. Next season may be one for the ages!

Reaction Score
Totally disagree with your assessment. I also saw the McDonalds game and it was obvious to me that the coach had her play off her man to play help defense on drives. The coach even stated so himself that is what he did. He said he gave up the threes to focus on guarding the paint. Some times one has to look at the defensive set up to judge who gives up what. It should have been obvious when Sammi was given so much space and she started hitting those three's and Brown did not adjust and play her closer. Oh I do remember at least one defensive let up she had but not the ones you mentioned in respect to her defense in the half court.

In the Jordan Brand game, she played the wing the entire game and her defensive assignments didn't score at all. She also came in earlier than her rotation in the final 2.5 min of the third quarter to play defense on Angel Jackson who had just scored 6 straight points at center. Jackson scored nothing when Brown was on her and to start the fourth Brown went back to playing the wing defensively and on offense. In the Jordan B game, she showed herself to be a good defensive player when she could focus on her assignment. In the McDonalds game neither the offense or defense on both teams looked good. In the Jordan game the defense was better overall and I think that affects how everyone plays.

I also believe that she is not ready to play the wing yet. She should start as a stretch 4 ( sharing time with Aquino ) and with time gradually work herself out to the wing the following years. With the players, Oregon has now there is no room for her at the 3 anyway. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. I think Kennedy sees herself as a wing in the pro's and that's what she wants to work at in college to get herself ready.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Came across this today re: Mikayla Pivec of Oregon State:

Reaction Score
Totally disagree with your assessment. I also saw the McDonalds game and it was obvious to me that the coach had her play off her man to play help defense on drives. The coach even stated so himself that is what he did. He said he gave up the threes to focus on guarding the paint. Some times one has to look at the defensive set up to judge who gives up what. It should have been obvious when Sammi was given so much space and she started hitting those three's and Brown did not adjust and play her closer. Oh I do remember at least one defensive let up she had but not the ones you mentioned in respect to her defense in the half court.

In the Jordan Brand game, she played the wing the entire game and her defensive assignments didn't score at all. She also came in earlier than her rotation in the final 2.5 min of the third quarter to play defense on Angel Jackson who had just scored 6 straight points at center. Jackson scored nothing when Brown was on her and to start the fourth Brown went back to playing the wing defensively and on offense. In the Jordan B game, she showed herself to be a good defensive player when she could focus on her assignment. In the McDonalds game neither the offense or defense on both teams looked good. In the Jordan game the defense was better overall and I think that affects how everyone plays.

I also believe that she is not ready to play the wing yet. She should start as a stretch 4 ( sharing time with Aquino ) and with time gradually work herself out to the wing the following years. With the players, Oregon has now there is no room for her at the 3 anyway. If it doesn't work out then it doesn't work out. I think Kennedy sees herself as a wing in the pro's and that's what she wants to work at in college to get herself ready.

Very possible, I think she said she sees herself as the great Delle Donne, who didn’t really become a wing until she made it to the pros.

Reaction Score
Came across this today re: Mikayla Pivec of Oregon State:

View attachment 42649
She has a real nose for the ball. Sometimes people do not recognize or consider that there is more involved in a certain aspect of basketball than just physical athletic ability. I had a teammate once who although not being very tall was a really good rebounder. He just seemed to know, while the shot was still in the air, the angle the rebound would come off on. That is a rapid, almost unconscious, visual processing skill. A lot of basketball is impacted more by the brains' ability to quickly analyze and process, rather than physical ability. A players ability to view the entire court, quickly process visual information and recognize angles has a huge impact on their offense and defensive abilities. That is one skill that separates an elite PG from a good one. These type of ( intangible ) abilities are also why certain less gifted players destroy their more athletically gifted counterparts.

Certainly, Pivec makes a concerted effort to attack the glass. But you are not going to get those RB numbers on effort alone. It is obvious that she also possesses superior in-flight ball angle recognition skills. Guards generally do not get there rebound numbers from already having established position. Rather they are slicing in from outside while the ball is still in the air. These are the type of skills you are born rather than developed.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom