Batouly Camara a 18/19 Star or Utility Player? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara a 18/19 Star or Utility Player?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think Batouly will be a utility player. The question is how productive? She could be the #1 or #2 bench player, or possibly the #4 bench player. I'd like to see her get regular PT. She needs to play under control and avoid cheap fouls.

Milford, until I hear different, I'm going to assume she knows the plays/system and is ready to contribute (start) BIG time. I really think injuries will play a MAJOR part in how much she plays the first week or two of the season.

If she's not running with the starting unit right now in practice, she won't start. She must run with the starters to develop some semblance of chemistry and timing.

She's been dealing with various injuries for the last two years. She had the entire summer to rest, recuperate and work with team therapists and trainers and she's still not ready. So who's to know if/when she will be ready to play? :confused:

Who's to say the starting until won't see a change come mid January? Remember, that’s when Lou became a starter her freshman year. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Hopefully the fouls are just from the adrenaline rush of trying to impress in limited minutes. If she becomes a "regular" this might not be a problem.

CT refugee- - - -I agree with you! Batouly must have felt after all the time she lost to the knee injury that she had to show more to earn more playing time and she was too hyper most of the time! If she's healthy she can play relaxed and let the game come to her letting her real talent show! I really feel that she has to be given a real chance to succeed because she'll really be needed down in February, March, and April!

Reaction Score
This will be her 3rd year in the program. If she's not ready now as Geno says (by the end of their 2nd year), she never will. She spent last year nursing injuries, and was never 100 % healthy, and could not really be counted on to contribute until late in the 2nd half of the season. I read here, or heard in a sound bite that she is still not 100%. She's still nursing a minor injury or two. We'll see exactly where she's at once the season starts. Like Elvis said...."It's now or never". I think if we ever get to see her injury free, we'll be impressed. I'm hoping the only thing that holds her back (if anything) is injury.
Not sure I agree with the "now of never" statements. This was not an attitude or skill issue - purely injury related. She could very well need several more months to heal. Will be happy if she can contribute by the 2nd half of season. Camara has skills unique to the current team and even as a sub could play critical minutes in key games.

Reaction Score
This will be her 3rd year in the program. If she's not ready now as Geno says (by the end of their 2nd year), she never will. She spent last year nursing injuries, and was never 100 % healthy, and could not really be counted on to contribute until late in the 2nd half of the season. I read here, or heard in a sound bite that she is still not 100%. She's still nursing a minor injury or two. We'll see exactly where she's at once the season starts. Like Elvis said...."It's now or never". I think if we ever get to see her injury free, we'll be impressed. I'm hoping the only thing that holds her back (if anything) is injury.
I just stumbled across 2018 First Night on Roku ESPN and I saw a couple of glimpses of 32/Batouly and she seemed pretty limber. Katie Lou was amazing. CW and Gordon tried too hard to impress--but otherwise were good. A good program (?) to watch ;boring with moments to make it worth watching.

Reaction Score
I think either Camara or Williams starts. From the way Geno has been praising Christyn lately, and from all of the accolades she's received from all 3 starters, If I had to bet, I'd bet on Williams. From all reports I've read here in the yard, she's holding her own in practice. She's impressing everyone. Which one starts depends on how Geno wants to go, BIG or small. I think they'll both get lots of minutes.

Listening and reading to nearly all being said about Chrystn Williams (13), if only 1/2 true she shall start. I know that a leap of faith because Geno only started Super Stars and Frosh usually (ala Megan and Gordon) sit a lot and have a hard first year.
The sad fact we all know: Geno needs (13) to be everything we hope she may be. Even if ONO can't put the ball "through" on a dunk. (First Night dunk contest)
Having said that; Geno needs ONO and Batouly to be all that some have written about them also.

If Irwin is running with the big dogs in practice, as inferred above in this thread, he may think she is big enough, strong enough, experienced enough to give him some error free minutes--again another hope.

Reaction Score
Not sure I agree with the "now of never" statements. This was not an attitude or skill issue - purely injury related. She could very well need several more months to heal. Will be happy if she can contribute by the 2nd half of season. Camara has skills unique to the current team and even as a sub could play critical minutes in key games.
Not speaking for Scoop but that comment is related to what Geno has stated as his philosphy for each year a player is in: Freshmen get all the help, then Soph, Jr's either have it by then or never, Seniors lead. HE restated that a few weeks ago about Juniors.
As in all things Geno, recently, (never say never) he has changed his hard cast in stone beliefs in Transfers, etc Geno hates to lose and will do nearly anything to field a winning team. (I believe)

Carnac

Reaction Score
Listening and reading to nearly all being said about Chrystn Williams (13), if only 1/2 true she shall start. I know that a leap of faith because Geno only started Super Stars and Frosh usually (ala Megan and Gordon) sit a lot and have a hard first year.
The sad fact we all know: Geno needs (13) to be everything we hope she may be. Even if ONO can't put the ball "through" on a dunk. (First Night dunk contest)
Having said that; Geno needs ONO and Batouly to be all that some have written about them also.

If Irwin is running with the big dogs in practice, as inferred above in this thread, he may think she is big enough, strong enough, experienced enough to give him some error free minutes--again another hope.

I think we’ll see a lot of Irwin this year. Geno has already intimated that Christyn will start. Geno and the 3 returning starters have all sang her praises since practice began.

The starters all say that the unit runs faster and more in sync with her on the floor. IMO, that’s the best endorsement one could get. No more speculation at this point. We’ll see for sure a week from today. I think the 5 that start Sunday, start against Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I think we’ll see a lot of Irwin this year. Geno has already intimated that Christyn will start. Geno and the 3 returning starters have all sang her praises since practice began.

The starters all say that the unit runs faster and more in sync with her on the floor. IMO, that’s the best endorsement one could get. No more speculation at this point. We’ll see for sure a week from today. I think the 5 that start Sunday, start against Ohio State.

That's a WOW!!!
While I don't have your knowledge of Irwin's current ability all I can go by is what I saw last season. Kayla has guts, she'll bang with anyone, isn't afraid to take the 3 (and makes more than just a few). On the downside (excuse my view of this) is: she is not fleet of foot, at times out of position, lateral movement is not any more than a hurt Touly.
What is a plus for her getting into more games is: Touly doesn't seem (from first night) to run the floor with energy. Geno absolutely needs another big rebounder. Shea wasn't as tall or as wide as Irwin and she made he money under the boards. No she didn't live there but when the ball went up she went in. Barbara Turner, Shea and others proved you don't have to be 6'6 to be a good reounder it takes determination. As Bill Russel pointed out, he knew where the ball would go as it left the shooters hand.

Carnac

Reaction Score
That's a WOW!!!
While I don't have your knowledge of Irwin's current ability all I can go by is what I saw last season. Kayla has guts, she'll bang with anyone, isn't afraid to take the 3 (and makes more than just a few). On the downside (excuse my view of this) is: she is not fleet of foot, at times out of position, lateral movement is not any more than a hurt Touly.
What is a plus for her getting into more games is: Touly doesn't seem (from first night) to run the floor with energy. Geno absolutely needs another big rebounder. Shea wasn't as tall or as wide as Irwin and she made he money under the boards. No she didn't live there but when the ball went up she went in. Barbara Turner, Shea and others proved you don't have to be 6'6 to be a good reounder it takes determination. As Bill Russel pointed out, he knew where the ball would go as it left the shooters hand.

Someone posted/commented here that Kayla was running with the first team in practice. THAT tells me something. Sometimes we make judgements based on which way the wind is blowing, i.e. Kayla running with the starters. Sometimes we can go by what we see (hear), and what we DON'T see. We can make assumptions because of who wasn't running with the first team.

We have a tendency to reflect back to what we saw last season, and go with that until we see different, as with Megan. Geno has commented several times in the last 3 weeks that Megan as done a 180 degree turn, has made the "sophomore leap", has bulked up a little, and does not look/play like she did last year.

The same can be possibly be said for other players (Irwin, Coombs, Gordon, Bent etc.). Until I read a report (or story) from a reporter that was present at a practice, or from Geno in a presser, I only have last year's performances to go on. Of course I'm hoping (and assuming) they've all greatly improved. They were cheerleaders for the most part last year. This year's team has no room for "cheerleaders".

This team needs every player on the roster to be ready, willing and able to contribute meaningful minutes whenever called upon. Geno referenced in a recent interview: “We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games. The kids coming off the bench have absolutely zero playing experience in any meaningful situations. When was the last time that happened?"

All of the questions we have about the starting lineup and about the returning reserves will be answered this Sunday in the exhibition game against Vanguard. Even though its an exhibition game, and the results/stats will not count, Geno still wants to win the game. Vanguard is a NAIA level program that is nowhere close to being competitive with UConn.

So, how much playing time will Geno give the reserves in a game that does not count, against a team that is nowhere close to being on their level? How much or how little we see of the reserves in the 2 exhibition games will forecast what we can expect to see from them in the early stages of the season.

How much (or how little) the reserves have improved indivually will be on display Sunday, and that's what I'm going to be look for. The reserves will under go the scrutiny of the old "eye" test. ;)

Reaction Score
Someone reported here that Kayla was running with the first team in practice. THAT tells me something. Sometimes we make judgements based on which way the wind is blowing. Sometimes we go by what we see (hear), and what we DON'T see. We can make assumptions because of who wasn't running with the first team.

We all have a tendency to reflect back to what we saw last season, and go with that until we see different, as with Megan. Geno has commented several times in the last 3 weeks that Megan as done a 180 degree turn, and does not look like the same player of last year.

The same can be possibly be said for other players (Irwin, Coombs, Gordon, Bent etc.) hopefully. Until I read a report (or story) from a reporter that was present at a practice, or from Geno in a presser, I only have last year's performances to go on. Of course I'm hoping (and assuming) they've all greatly improved. They were cheerleaders for the most part last year.

The team needs them to contribute this year with meaningful minutes in meaningful games. Geno referenced in a recent interview: “We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games. The kids coming off the bench have absolutely zero playing experience in any meaningful situations. When was the last time that happened?"

All of the questions we have about the starting lineup and about the returning reserves will be answered this Sunday in the exhibition game against Vanguard. Even though its an exhibition game, and the results/stats will not count, Geno still wants to win the game. Vanguard is a NAIA level program that is nowhere close to being competitive with UConn.

So, how much playing time will Geno give the reserves in a game that does not count, against a team that is nowhere close to being on their level relativly speaking? How much or how little we see of the reserves in the 2 exhibition games will forecast what we can expect to see from them at least early this season.

How much (or how little) these reserves have improved indivually will be on display Sunday. The reserves will under go the scrutiny of the old "eye" test. ;)

Great analysis and hypotheses of what we see and don't see and what advancement from last year to this they have made has not been in our viewing area.

Sunday, if Geno chooses, may give us a glimpse of those we have high hopes for. Let the FUN begin!!

Reaction Score
Someone posted/commented here that Kayla was running with the first team in practice. THAT tells me something. Sometimes we make judgements based on which way the wind is blowing, i.e. Kayla running with the starters. Sometimes we can go by what we see (hear), and what we DON'T see. We can make assumptions because of who wasn't running with the first team.

We have a tendency to reflect back to what we saw last season, and go with that until we see different, as with Megan. Geno has commented several times in the last 3 weeks that Megan as done a 180 degree turn, has made the "sophomore leap", has bulked up a little, and does not look/play like she did last year.

The same can be possibly be said for other players (Irwin, Coombs, Gordon, Bent etc.). Until I read a report (or story) from a reporter that was present at a practice, or from Geno in a presser, I only have last year's performances to go on. Of course I'm hoping (and assuming) they've all greatly improved. They were cheerleaders for the most part last year. This year's team has no room for "cheerleaders".

This team needs every player on the roster to contribute meaningful minutes in every game. Geno referenced in a recent interview: “We’re probably going to start two kids that have never started a game, ever,” “When was the last time that happened? We’re going to start one kid who’s never started any games — played any games. The kids coming off the bench have absolutely zero playing experience in any meaningful situations. When was the last time that happened?"

So, how much playing time will Geno give the reserves in a game that does not count, against a team that is nowhere close to being on their level? How much or how little we see of the reserves in the 2 exhibition games will forecast what we can expect to see from them at least early this season.

How much (or how little) the reserves have improved indivually will be on display Sunday. The reserves will under go the scrutiny of the old "eye" test. ;)
Scoop,
I placed the post about the practice pic and I can appreciate your opinion on the matter. Of course, Geno is generally very clear about his choices regarding who he believes are his clear n consistent contributors all the way down the line to those who aren't. I don't imagine it was some kind of psychological game play with the media, fans and opponents to place Kyla in a first team jersey. It is fair to say in this moment he (Geno)believes she offers more than Batouly at this time. We can conjecture all we want, but seeing is believing at UConn Wbb. The better players play, the best start.

Reaction Score
Going by a news/sports reporter on channel 8/ABC at 6pm the starting 5 for UCONN will be: He said Geno said Christyn Williams was going to start, so it should look like this:
PG Crystal Dangerfield
SG CWilliams
SF Meg Walker
PF KLS
C Pheesa

So the first G off the bench could be Bent, Coombs, Gordon
and ONO, Batouly, or Irwin first big!

Reaction Score
Going by a news/sports reporter on channel 8/ABC at 6pm the starting 5 for UCONN will be: He said Geno said Christyn Williams was going to start, so it should look like this:
PG Crystal Dangerfield
SG CWilliams
SF Meg Walker
PF KLS
C Pheesa

So the first G off the bench could be Bent, Coombs, Gordon
and ONO, Batouly, or Irwin first big!
I'm guessing Coombs first guard off bench. Irwin or ONO first big. I'm guessing Irwin at the start of season. Lots of firepower in that lineup. If they shoot good percentages that floor will be so spread it could turn into a lot of layups n free throws in most games.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Scoop,
I placed the post about the practice pic and I can appreciate your opinion on the matter. Of course, Geno is generally very clear about his choices regarding who he believes are his clear n consistent contributors all the way down the line to those who aren't. I don't imagine it was some kind of psychological game play with the media, fans and opponents to place Kyla in a first team jersey. It is fair to say in this moment he (Geno)believes she offers more than Batouly at this time. We can conjecture all we want, but seeing is believing at UConn Wbb. The better players play, the best start.

It’s been confirmed that Christyn will start. I don’t know who the 6th man will be, nor am I advocating for anyone. I’m guessing that Irwin, Camara and Coombs will be the first 3 off the bench. The order they come off in I have no idea.

Reaction Score
It’s been confirmed that Christyn will start. I don’t know who the 6th man will be, nor am I advocating for anyone. I’m guessing that Irwin, Camara and Coombs will be the first 3 off the bench. The order they come off in I have no idea.
Ok. Thanks for the info.

Reaction Score
Upon her transfer from Kentucky @UcMiami and I had a similar discussion regarding Batouly's role at UCONN. IMO she was always going to be a role player at UCONN capable of giving the team some physical defensive mostly minutes in the post. That was two full season ago. Unfortunately unless she can regain the explosiveness (see picture below) she showed at Kentucky I don't even see that role in her future or present at UCONN. She will likely not start for UCONN this season. If she is not the first post or forward player off the bench this season it will be a very bad sign for her remaining years of eligibility.
View attachment 35672
Maybe another Rashidat Sadiq? The forgotten UCONN transfer?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom