Batouly Camara a 18/19 Star or Utility Player? | The Boneyard

Batouly Camara a 18/19 Star or Utility Player?

Reaction Score
The Bio from Uconnhuskies.com Women's site posts the following:

As a Redshirt Sophomore (2017-18): Appeared in 23 games, averaging 4.8 minutes per game … tallied eight points, three rebounds and two steals vs. Saint Francis (3/17) … grabbed four rebounds, two assists and a block vs. Cincinnati (3/5) … posted eight points on 3-for-4 shooting with three assists and three rebounds vs. Temple (2/18) … scored four points vs. Tulane (1/27) … went 3-for-4 from the charity strip and added two boards at Houston (1/13) … notched three rebounds in UConn debut at DePaul (12/8).
As a Sophomore (2016-17): Redshirt season per NCAA transfer rules.
As a Freshman at Kentucky (2015-16): Appeared in 33 games with 14 starts … averaged 5.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game … tallied 11 boards vs. UNC Asheville (3/19) … posted 12 points vs. Florida (3/4) … notched 14 points and nine rebounds at South Carolina (2/4) … had 10 rebounds vs. South Carolina (1/14) … scored 10 points at Arizona State (11/15) … made collegiate debut vs. Rice (11/13).
USA Basketball: Earned a spot on the 2014 Women’s U18 National Team trials roster.
Before College: Rated as the No. 2 power forward by All-Star Girls Report coming out of high school and the ninth-best player in the country by ESPN.com ... averaged 12.5 points and 12.0 rebounds per game in helping lead Blair Academy to a 19-3 finish ... named 2014 All-Mid-Atlantic Prep League First Team and was second-team NJ Prep A All-State selection … helped the Buccaneers to three Mid- Atlantic Prep League Championships and a 62-8 overall record ... elected vice chair of Blair Academy's student government council as a junior and was a representative on the student council as a sophomore

Assuming she is healthy this season what is her role with this team?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

As a Redshirt Sophomore (2017-18): Appeared in 23 games, averaging 4.8 minutes per game … tallied eight points, three rebounds and two steals vs. Saint Francis (3/17) … grabbed four rebounds, two assists and a block vs. Cincinnati (3/5) … posted eight points on 3-for-4 shooting with three assists and three rebounds vs. Temple (2/18) … scored four points vs. Tulane (1/27) … went 3-for-4 from the charity strip and added two boards at Houston (1/13) … notched three rebounds in UConn debut at DePaul (12/8).
As a Freshman at Kentucky (2015-16): Appeared in 33 games with 14 starts … averaged 5.3 points and 4.4 rebounds per game … tallied 11 boards vs. UNC Asheville (3/19) … posted 12 points vs. Florida (3/4) … notched 14 points and nine rebounds at South Carolina (2/4) … had 10 rebounds vs. South Carolina (1/14) … scored 10 points at Arizona State (11/15) … made collegiate debut vs. Rice (11/13).
USA Basketball: Earned a spot on the 2014 Women’s U18 National Team trials roster.
Before College: Rated as the No. 2 power forward by All-Star Girls Report coming out of high school and the ninth-best player in the country by ESPN.com ... averaged 12.5 points and 12.0 rebounds per game in helping lead Blair Academy to a 19-3 finish ... named 2014 All-Mid-Atlantic Prep League First Team and was second-team NJ Prep A All-State selection … helped the Buccaneers to three Mid- Atlantic Prep League Championships and a 62-8 overall record ... elected vice chair of Blair Academy's student government council as a junior and was a representative on the student council as a sophomore

Her role this year? Energy, board crasher, defense and experience off the bench.

Reaction Score
I still think Batouly has a real shot to start or play major minutes at C! The Huskies need a real physical presence under the boards and except for Irwin there is no real banger (ONO is an unknown talent at this time).
She can be a beast on the boards and has about a 12' shot as well as cleaning up the misses around the basket!
I look forward to watching her have a healthy season!

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score

You are correct that the UConn Bio says that Batouly was the 9th rated player on ESPN.com, but she was actually the 9th rated post, behind Kristine Anigwe, Kalani Brown, Beatrice Mompremier, Kelly Koshuta, Teaira McCowan, Deja Strother, Jordan Moore, and Chen Yue. Batouly was actually the 53rd rated player on ESPN. Of course she proved to be under-ranked based on her performance at Kentucky her freshman year. If she is not hampered by injuries this season, she could be a beast inside.

Reaction Score
If she’s better at playing under control then she could easily be a starter. There were times last season where she would play too aggressively or too quick and she would pick up a silly foul or commit a turnover. That’s the kind of thing that can’t happen if she wants to play major minutes.

Reaction Score
If she’s better at playing under control then she could easily be a starter. There were times last season where she would play too aggressively or too quick and she would pick up a silly foul or commit a turnover. That’s the kind of thing that can’t happen if she wants to play major minutes.
Hopefully the fouls are just from the adrenaline rush of trying to impress in limited minutes. If she becomes a "regular" this might not be a problem.

Reaction Score
I still think Batouly has a real shot to start or play major minutes at C! The Huskies need a real physical presence under the boards and except for Irwin there is no real banger (ONO is an unknown talent at this time).
She can be a beast on the boards and has about a 12' shot as well as cleaning up the misses around the basket!
I look forward to watching her have a healthy season!

I know you've been a supporter of Touly's abilities, when healthy, it is apparent from the BIO Uconn Coaches saw a Banger, Rebounder and with Student Government a Leader. I hope she is healthy she is really needed.

Reaction Score

All of that which you state is true I saw the same thing. NOT that she requires defense, however, it was apparent all year she was less than physically recovered; her mobility was very limited. Also, she was trying too hard to show she belongs. Everything about Touly depends upon her being healthy.

Reaction Score
All of that which you state is true I saw the same thing. NOT that she requires defense, however, it was apparent all year she was less than physically recovered; her mobility was very limited. Also, she was trying too hard to show she belongs. Everything about Touly depends upon her being healthy.

She sounds like Brittany Hunter .

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Upon her transfer from Kentucky @UcMiami and I had a similar discussion regarding Batouly's role at UCONN. IMO she was always going to be a role player at UCONN capable of giving the team some physical defensive mostly minutes in the post. That was two full season ago. Unfortunately unless she can regain the explosiveness (see picture below) she showed at Kentucky I don't even see that role in her future or present at UCONN. She will likely not start for UCONN this season. If she is not the first post or forward player off the bench this season it will be a very bad sign for her remaining years of eligibility.
1540649485751.png

Reaction Score
Limited minutes. Limited contribution. She offers fouls and aggressiveness, but Geno, IMHO, would rather ride those he trusts to keep the flow than chance upsetting the rhythm in competitive games. Just look back at Kiah, Stewie, Buck, etc., when he felt he couldn't rely on them he refused to use them in those moments.
Of course, if we're not talking about those games then she will get some time and appear to be a contributor. This is a heavy guard oriented offense this year, more than others in recent past. I think Olivia gets lion share of bench minutes for post oriented players. Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Upon her transfer from Kentucky @UcMiami and I had a similar discussion regarding Batouly's role at UCONN. IMO she was always going to be a role player at UCONN capable of giving the team some physical defensive mostly minutes in the post. That was two full season ago. Unfortunately unless she can regain the explosiveness (see picture below) she showed at Kentucky I don't even see that role in her future or present at UCONN. She will likely not start for UCONN this season. If she is not the first post or forward player off the bench this season it will be a very bad sign for her remaining years of eligibility.
View attachment 35672
I fully agree with your final sentence. I'm not in your category or others with knowledge of Touly previous to Uconn . Her future is in her hands, Gods hands and Geno's hands. Charlieball too is correct--Uconn needs another rebounder and strong banger under the boards.

Reaction Score
She sounds like Brittany Hunter .
Brittany Hunter, a previous transfer from Duke, was unique in Women's BB. Extremely talented and extremely physically limited and Geno saw and got excellent minutes from Ms Hunter minutes she dictated when she would play--unique in the annals of Uconn Womens BB a player saying when she would practice and when she would play--she was worth the exchange Geno and Uconn got. We could only imagine what a Healthy Brittany would have been.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Brittany Hunter, a previous transfer from Duke, was unique in Women's BB. Extremely talented and extremely physically limited and Geno saw and got excellent minutes from Ms Hunter minutes she dictated when she would play--unique in the annals of Uconn Womens BB a player saying when she would practice and when she would play--she was worth the exchange Geno and Uconn got. We could only imagine what a Healthy Brittany would have been.
A healthy Brittany Hunter was something like a cross between Candace Parker and Tina Charles. She could have been a megastar.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

This will be her 3rd year in the program. If she's not ready now as Geno says (by the end of their 2nd year), she never will. She spent last year nursing injuries, and was never 100 % healthy, and could not really be counted on to contribute until late in the 2nd half of the season. I read here, or heard in a sound bite that she is still not 100%. She's still nursing a minor injury or two. We'll see exactly where she's at once the season starts. Like Elvis said.............."It's now or never". I think if we ever get to see her injury free, we'll be impressed. I'm hoping the only thing that holds her back (if anything) is injury.

I agree with the general consensus here that Camara has the potential to be a BIG time player for UConn. How much she plays depends on the starters cardio level, their ability to stay out of foul trouble, how well she blends into the starting unit's chemistry and flow, and of course her health. Her size (6-2), experience (4th year in college), maturity (she turns 22 this Friday - Nov 2) will certainly be needed against Baylor's 6-7 post Kalani Brown, and Notre Dame's AA 6-3 post Brianna Turner. There will be other large post players the Huskies will see this season, but these two are the most dominant and experienced.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Anybody pay attention to the practice video/photos and notice how Kyla not Batouly was working with the first (blue) team? Any thoughts?

Reaction Score
I agree with others who state if she hasn't had an impact yet it's not likely to happen. It appears also that she has not fully recovered from her injury over the past season.

Carnac

Reaction Score
She’s starts and plays solid basketball.
Ono is not ready from day one.
Lock it up.

I think either Camara or Williams starts. From the way Geno has been praising Christyn lately, and from all of the accolades she's received from all 3 starters, If I had to bet, I'd bet on Williams. From all reports I've read here in the yard, she's holding her own in practice. She's impressing everyone. Which one starts depends on how Geno wants to go, BIG or small. I think they'll both get lots of minutes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Anybody pay attention to the practice video/photos and notice how Kyla not Batouly was working with the first (blue) team? Any thoughts?

Believe what your eyes tell you. We'll know for sure in 8 days. I think the 5 starters in the Vanguard game will be the same 5 that start the season against Ohio State a week later. Right now, all I know is what I'm reading here in the Boneyard. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Batouly will be a utility player. The question is how productive? She could be the #1 or #2 bench player, or possibly the #4 bench player. I'd like to see her get regular PT. She needs to play under control and avoid cheap fouls.

Reaction Score
I think either Camara or Williams starts. From the way Geno has been praising Christyn lately, and from all of the accolades she's received from all 3 starters, If I had to bet, I'd bet on Williams. From all reports I've read here in the yard, she's holding her own in practice. She's impressing everyone. Which one starts depends on how Geno wants to go, BIG or small. I think they'll both get lots of minutes.
Camara & Williams play way different positions. I don’t think they’re competing with each other for playing time any more than Crystal and Azurá were last year at this time (popular BY theory back then). Only caveat there is Geno’s “big or small” decision may be made by who “gets it,” and who is fearless and can flat-out ball. I predict Williams will be firmly entrenched in the starting lineup by mid-December.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom