Basketball season & tweeting | The Boneyard

Basketball season & tweeting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn players are not allow to tweet during the BB season so most players will post a little sign off message. I remember seeing posts over the past seasons from ND and Baylor players during their regular season and the tourney. Do other schools ban their players from posting on social media during the season? How will recruits that are constantly posting on twitter or other sites handle being cut off?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
UConn players are not allow to tweet during the BB season so most players will post a little sign off message. I remember seeing posts over the past seasons from ND and Baylor players during their regular season and the tourney. Do other schools ban their players from posting on social media during the season? How will recruits that are constantly posting on twitter or other sites handle being cut off?
Same as they have every year for the past 5. It is not an issue same as all the other program expectations like no headphones in public, etc.

Reaction Score
Same as they have every year for the past 5. It is not an issue same as all the other program expectations like no do headphones in public, etc.

I was just wondering if there are other schools that also ban tweeting during the entire season. I'm glad Geno has that rule in place it keeps the team focused.

Reaction Score

Every school in the country has different team rules that are specific to each team. I played baseball in college and we had rules like no alcohol during season for anybody, we had to run to and from the practice field, we could not wear hats backwards as it was disrespectful to the game, we had to address everyone as either sir or mam, no cell phone use on buses or planes we only could use them once we got to our hotels on road trips, etc. The way I see it if you are not able to sacrifice and adhere to something as trivial as these rules or no social media then you are not going to make the other sacrifices needed to be a good player or good teammate.

Reaction Score
They don't ban all social media. For example the team still posts quite a bit on Instagram during the season which is arguably a more popular social media site amongst the teens and early-20s crowd than twitter.

Reaction Score
They don't ban all social media. For example the team still posts quite a bit on Instagram during the season which is arguably a more popular social media site amongst the teens and early-20s crowd than twitter.
What's the difference between Instagram and Twitter?

I use Twitter to send messages to players wishing them well etc. I haven't signed up for Instagram though.

Reaction Score
What's the difference between Instagram and Twitter?

I use Twitter to send messages to players wishing them well etc. I haven't signed up for Instagram though.
It's kind of like twitter, but geared towards pictures. Ever hear the song #selfie and you'll see why it's popular. A lot of people tend to use the same handle on both twitter and IG. I believe Facebook bought IG, so it's coupled with that site where posting to IG can automatically show up on Facebook feeds.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I know they're on Facebook during the season... may even update their status on game day once in a while

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I would think the practical reason to prohibit in-season tweeting is to prevent anyone from tweeting something will attractive negative attention.

How will recruits handle it? Group texts, instagram, snapchat, etc.

Kids are pretty adept at finding communication mediums that adults don't know about. That's how lots of social networks get popularized.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
snapchat is real personal... big diff than Twitter

Reaction Score
I would think the practical reason to prohibit in-season tweeting is to prevent anyone from tweeting something will attractive negative attention.

How will recruits handle it? Group texts, instagram, snapchat, etc.

Kids are pretty adept at finding communication mediums that adults don't know about. That's how lots of social networks get popularized.
That's why Facebook has fallen out of favor... no one wants to be on something their parents use. Plus Facebook is mostly for ads and selling stuff now, and the under 21 demographic doesn't really have the money to spend to keep Facebook in business.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
That's why Facebook has fallen out of favor... no one wants to be on something their parents use. Plus Facebook is mostly for ads and selling stuff now, and the under 21 demographic doesn't really have the money to spend to keep Facebook in business.
totally disagree... best self-controlled site of them all. what do you buy on FB?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Completely OT, but Facebook is quite in for folks my wife knows (I have never). It enables folks who know each other - but don't see each other or even talk frequently on the phone - to have a simple way to share info. For many of my wife's friends, in their 40's through 60's this is wonderful. I do agree that, from what I see, it is a very commercial environment, but I think it is what you make of it.

I do agree that the younger folk have moved on, although, for example, my adult niece and her 2 brothers (and their spouses) simply keep their facebook private and are not friends with the older generation. It seems to work well.

Reaction Score
totally disagree... best self-controlled site of them all. what do you buy on FB?
It's not what you buy, it's what they're trying to get you to buy. It's overly commercial compared to the other sites. I don't have a Facebook and neither do most of my friends (or at least they are not active on them) while most of our parents who are in their 40s and 50s all seem to. It's been an ongoing trend for a while. I'm not saying no one under the age of 25 has a Facebook, but with the proliferation of other sites there are better social media options these days.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
It's not what you buy, it's what they're trying to get you to buy. It's overly commercial compared to the other sites. I don't have a Facebook and neither do most of my friends (or at least they are not active on them) while most of our parents who are in their 40s and 50s all seem to. It's been an ongoing trend for a while. I'm not saying no one under the age of 25 has a Facebook, but with the proliferation of other sites there are better social media options these days.
I understand that kids dont want to be where their parents are but parents will eventually move onto those other sites as well. #myspace
these places are for whomever... I think FB is the best of them all (I have all of them).
Did you deactivate your FB account because you parents had a page? Are you hiding something from them... just curious to know whats the paranoia about.

what sites are hip and new for young adults? here a list of social media sites

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Completely OT, but Facebook is quite in for folks my wife knows (I have never). It enables folks who know each other - but don't see each other or even talk frequently on the phone - to have a simple way to share info. For many of my wife's friends, in their 40's through 60's this is wonderful. I do agree that, from what I see, it is a very commercial environment, but I think it is what you make of it.

I do agree that the younger folk have moved on, although, for example, my adult niece and her 2 brothers (and their spouses) simply keep their facebook private and are not friends with the older generation. It seems to work well.
exactly... you control your own page

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I understand that kids dont want to be where their parents are but parents will eventually move onto those other sites as well. #myspace
these places are for whomever... I think FB is the best of them all (I have all of them).
Did you deactivate your FB account because you parents had a page? Are you hiding something from them... just curious to know whats the paranoia about.

what sites are hip and new for young adults? here a list of social media sites

Compared to these recruits I am an old man (26). Nonetheless, I think most kids still have facebook. Then the other popular ones are twitter, instagram, and tumblr, which each serve their own purposes. I actually haven't run across any recruit tumblrs but tumblr is very popular with young folks in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom