Basketball Schools want to break away | The Boneyard

Basketball Schools want to break away

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/...l-only-league/29335?utm_source=twitterfeed&ut

"John M. Marinatto, the Big East’s commissioner, said the league had long encouraged its basketball athletic directors to meet separately from the football AD’s and to discuss any concerns they may have with proposed changes. “Although they’ve had discussions, I’ve had no indication from any of them that they have serious desires to break away,” he said."

WTF!!! Why would you encourage this??? Big East leadership, what esle needs to be said.

Reaction Score
http://chronicle.com/blogs/players/...l-only-league/29335?utm_source=twitterfeed&ut

"John M. Marinatto, the Big East’s commissioner, said the league had long encouraged its basketball athletic directors to meet separately from the football AD’s and to discuss any concerns they may have with proposed changes. “Although they’ve had discussions, I’ve had no indication from any of them that they have serious desires to break away,” he said."

WTF!!! Why would you encourage this??? Big East leadership, what esle needs to be said.

Georgetown says it's not them. I don't think it's Nova either since they still want to play BE football. So it's possible that this could be the trimming of the fat that would free up some space in the basketball league that could help out in the long run. I wouldn't mind losing DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence. I like Marquette but we could live without them. If we could just keep Notre Dame, Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova that would be fine with me.

Reaction Score
Georgetown says it's not them. I don't think it's Nova either since they still want to play BE football. So it's possible that this could be the trimming of the fat that would free up some space in the basketball league that could help out in the long run. I wouldn't mind losing DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence. I like Marquette but we could live without them. If we could just keep Notre Dame, Georgetown, St. John's, and Villanova that would be fine with me.
Maybe everyone is getting tired of the misaligned interests. The Nova upgrade is a fantasy that the school has not embraced. And if you are Gtown, Marquette, Nova and, yes, St Johns, there is probably a decent/break-evenTV contract available for them plus 2-4 other teams that focus on BB (Xavier, St. Joes, Butler, Geo. Mason). A split is inevitable. What group has the foresight to lead the way? It does not appear to be the FB schools, that much is clear.

Reaction Score
Link?

Don't get me wrong, FriarJ. I have no problem with the basketball schools but if we could trade DePaul, Seton Hall, and Providence for say Memphis, Temple, and UNLV as all sports members it would be kind of a no-brainer if those basketball schools decide they want to leave the Big East.

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-basket...two-schools-discuss-leaving-basketball-league

Georgetown President John J. DeGioia says his school is not among those entertaining the thought of fleeing.
"We certainly could have confronted in this moment an opportunity to break up the conference, and we emphatically made the decision to keep it together. We had a full consensus that the best thing for our basketball programs would be to remain in complete alignment with the football programs," he said. "I would be surprised to hear that any of our non-football-playing members would report contemplating separation."

Reaction Score
No worries. The clergy at GTown, St. John's, Nova, PC, Marqiette, DePaul would never go behond Marinatto's back. He's got their interest close to his heart and is probably working with Hathaway to screw UConn in some fashion.

As for the ringleaders, if you're Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, St. John's, you're probably going to be right.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There's been no serious discussions from any of the hoop-only schools about splitting off.

In the grand scheme of things, there are only three that matter and at least two of the three are desperately committed to preserving the conference as is. (Or at least as close to it as possible..as we know, that's been a moving target.)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My response to them would be, " Turn in your keys and leave the check for $5 million each on the table."

My next call would be to ND, "Jack, it's Susan. ACC or do you want to give a true Eastern Football Conference a go. Start with us two and Rutgers. I'm sure we can get SU, Pitt, and WVU to come back. Not to mention that little weasel, Flippy. Pick three more from UL, USF, Cincy, MD, PSU, Miami, VT, VA or whomever else you want. We'll get $25M a year for FB and BB from NBC easy."

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
My response to them would be, " Turn in your keys and leave the check for $5 million each on the table."

My next call would be to ND, "Jack, it's Susan. ACC or do you want to give a true Eastern Football Conference a go. Start with us two and Rutgers. I'm sure we can get SU, Pitt, and WVU to come back. Not to mention that little weasel, Flippy. Pick three more from UL, USF, Cincy, MD, PSU, Miami, VT, VA or whomever else you want. We'll get $25M a year for FB and BB from NBC easy."

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I think that would actually be a better way for Notre Dame to join a football conference. That way they get to put it together and call the shots. Not that it would really be preferable for some of the other members but I think if Notre Dame called with this proposal schools would listen.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Can you seriously imagine DePaul suggesting changes in the status quo?

Depaul is kinda like the neighbor's yip yip dog. Except it doesn't yip all that much and makes a sick howling noise when you take out the trash. All it does is attract feral male cats in mating season and it gets humped over and over.

Reaction Score

Would love if something like this happened. Seeing ACC painted on Gampel would be hard to digest.

Reaction Score
The only thing holding this conference together at this point is branding rights to the name "Big East"which all of these mutually exclusive schools are fighting desperately to keep. I still would love to see UConn lead the charge for a new conference called the Big North or something to that effect which should include North East football/all sports schools and Notre Dame.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom