Basketball players sue NCAA over NIL use in March Madness promos (several UConn players included) | The Boneyard

Basketball players sue NCAA over NIL use in March Madness promos (several UConn players included)

Reaction Score
Sixteen former men's college basketball players, including Kansas stars Mario Chalmers and Sherron Collins, UConn guard Ryan Boatright and Arizona guard Jason Terry, have sued the NCAA and multiple conferences for the unauthorized use of their name, image and likeness in March Madness highlights.

Among the other plaintiffs were former UConn players Alex Oriakhi, DeAndre Daniels and Roscoe Smith.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Assuming there’s some legal language between the NCAA and the schools that the NCAA has unlimited rights to use content from the games for promotional activities

But if there’s a bag to get, go ahead and get it I guess? Lol

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Does the law provide for retroactive NIL compensation for players whose time in college pre-dated the legislation?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Why? Because the NCAA can't afford to compensate these folks fairly?
Look, the new rules are working out to our benefit and I have no problem with any of our former players making a cash grab if the opportunity presents itself, but that just wasn't the world when they played. The notion that you couldn't broadcast them without playing them is something new.

Just an FYI, it's not like the NCAA is sitting on buckets full of money. Where this will come from is from a reduction of future basketball distributions.

Reaction Score
I don't care if these are our former players, this is a stupid lawsuit. Regardless of how you feel about NIL (and admittedly I'm still not 100% on board with paying college players), this was not the law when these kids played and NCAA has broadcast rights to the tournament that these kids were lucky enough to play in. Or just give them each a $20 for the couple seconds they might have been in the highlight videos.

Reaction Score
What’s ironic is most of these guys (ours included) made handsomely paid careers with this “unauthorized use of their name and likeness”… would they have signed a form in their playing days saying “don’t use my name”? lol obviously not

Reaction Score
Look, the new rules are working out to our benefit and I have no problem with any of our former players making a cash grab if the opportunity presents itself, but that just wasn't the world when they played. The notion that you couldn't broadcast them without playing them is something new.

Just an FYI, it's not like the NCAA is sitting on buckets full of money. Where this will come from is from a reduction of future basketball distributions.

Since March Madness is 90% of their revenue
Inless they cancel all their championships the distribution will be affected .
Thats chump change gor the p football
schools but its a matter of survival for folks left out
Were is the outrage over the real injustice.

Reaction Score

NCAA should be forced to pay Bill Walton's estate and Kareem for not letting them play as freshmen. Walton's estate and Kareem could then pay back Sam Gilbert's family.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Since March Madness is 90% of their revenue
Inless they cancel all their championships the distribution will be affected .
Thats chump change gor the p football
schools but its a matter of survival for folks left out
Were is the outrage over the real injustice.

Unfortunately, the outrage is only among schools that are outside the P5 P4. I've read that 90% of the settlement is due to former P5 players but 65% of it is being paid for by non-P5 institutions.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This is pathetic. Just do away with all highlights of any college basketball ever played and erase all the One Shining Moment videos.
No just pay them if you are going to show their image. Its the same for songs. Musicians were never compensated before song plays were tracked now they are.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I don't care if these are our former players, this is a stupid lawsuit. Regardless of how you feel about NIL (and admittedly I'm still not 100% on board with paying college players), this was not the law when these kids played and NCAA has broadcast rights to the tournament that these kids were lucky enough to play in. Or just give them each a $20 for the couple seconds they might have been in the highlight videos.
Lawsuits aren't stupid, people are stupid. The point is the images are being used today and the players are asking the courts to decide what is a fair compensation. Makes perfect sense to me

Reaction Score
From the Hartford Courant.

Alternate access:
Former UConn men’s basketball players among 16 suing NCAA over March Madness promos
Thanks for posting the alternate access. How is that done?

Reaction Score
What’s ironic is most of these guys (ours included) made handsomely paid careers with this “unauthorized use of their name and likeness”… would they have signed a form in their playing days saying “don’t use my name”? lol obviously not
Free publicity, in fact, may have boosted their professional value.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, the outrage is only among schools that are outside the P5 P4. I've read that 90% of the settlement is due to former P5 players but 65% of it is being paid for by non-P5 institutions.
This is reverse Robin Hood
Steal from the poor to give to the Rich

Reaction Score
Why? Because the NCAA can't afford to compensate these folks fairly?
do the nba and nfl have to pay every player that appears in an ad for the playoffs? genuinely asking but i doubt it.

Reaction Score
What is the personal liability of the clowns that ran the NCAA and made these decisions? Seems they got off into the sunset with their pay/pensions in place.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom