Basketball Player In A Little Hot Water [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Basketball Player In A Little Hot Water [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Clearly, her mental health is a major issue now. This is not just about her depression any more. People with depression do not act in such a violent manner, do they?

Yes, they do if they go off their meds abruptly. I know first hand. It makes me wonder if that is the case here.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
God bless her and heal her.

Best post so far. Mental health issues are so hard for people to relate to and can be the source of criticism that drives a person deeper into a black hole. I hope that Pat is able to step in and help Holdsclaw as I know that she looked at her as a parenting figure after the death of her grandmother.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I have two autographed items in my home. One is by Martina Navratilova and the other is by Holdsclaw. I have always been a fan of hers and when she revealed her battle with depression I had an even greater desire to see her overcome any struggles that she was having. I find this news very sad and upsetting, even though I don't know Holdsclaw personally.

It also saddens me when a story like this becomes the catalyst for jokes. We are becoming an insensitive society when we use someone else's struggles and tragedies as a source of comedic comments.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Best post so far. Mental health issues are so hard for people to relate to and can be the source of criticism that drives a person deeper into a black hole. I hope that Pat is able to step in and help Holdsclaw as I know that she looked at her as a parenting figure after the death of her grandmother.

I actually hope that she doesn't make bail right away because I worry about what she might do to herself if left alone. I'm not saying it's likely, and I have zero knowledge of her illness other than what's been out there for some time, but I'd imagine she is in a very dark place right now and she had a close call once before (after leaving the Mystics, I believe). I pray that after the facts are settled and justice is done, she is somehow able to get past this.

Also, I bet Pat is all over this, doing whatever she can for Chamique at this time. I would not be surprised if she headed to Atlanta soon.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It also saddens me when a story like this becomes the catalyst for jokes. We are becoming an insensitive society when we use someone else's struggles and tragedies as a source of comedic comments.
I don't disagree - but the jokes are peripheral and not aimed at Holdsclaw. I once read that much of humor is based on other's misfortunes.

Actually, I am so pleased to see all the supportive comments. My wife's former boss suffered from occasional bouts of clinical depression. I was astounded to see how unable he was to function during his illness.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it turns out that my original concern was correct. The police now believe she fired into the car with the intention of starting a larger fire. LINK

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
In many ways, depression is anger turned inwards. The result is often substantial and devastating.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
This is a horrible tragedy. Prayers for Chamiqua and all of those folks involved from family to teammates and anyone else touched by this. This is far more than depression, yes, depression may be a component but given this behavior something vastly bigger has developed.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
How awful. I'm glad that Lacey wasn't injured and that Holdsclaw turned herself in. I pray she gets the help she needs and finds a more positive life.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I confess I don't have limitless sympathy but my main concerns are for Lacy in this scenario. It is fortunate that nobody got hurt....both for the victim and for Holdsclaw. I certainly hope Chamique gets help and gets control over her behavior.
I do wonder a bit that if the name of the person who was violent was hoopster Charles Holdsclaw and not Chamique and Charles behaved exactly as did Chamique whether [some] folks would be as attentive to his situation as in this case. Whether jail or a hospital or some kind of outpatient treatment is in the future for Chamique , she needs to get a handle on violent outbursts...whether against someone else or herself [as has also happened].

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, it turns out that my original concern was correct. The police now believe she fired into the car with the intention of starting a larger fire. LINK

CF, I read that. It's obvious that Holdsclaw doesn't watch Mythbusters. They busted that one (bullet/gasoline fire) a couple of years ago. If she copped to that or if the police have some evidence that a fire was her intention they might charge her with attempted murder.

How does anyone here know that this incident is directly related to her depression? Ever consider that it was just a lover's spat and she simply lost it? What if she was just another citizen and not a famous female bball player?

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
CF, I read that. It's obvious that Holdsclaw doesn't watch Mythbusters. They busted that one (bullet/gasoline fire) a couple of years ago. If she copped to that or if the police have some evidence that a fire was her intention they might charge her with attempted murder.

How does anyone here know that this incident is directly related to her depression? Ever consider that it was just a lover's spat and she simply lost it? What if she was just another citizen and not a famous female bball player?

You could be right. It was obvious specualtion on my part.

Just my take...

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Clearly we are dealing with a highly disturbed mind here. You don't do the things Chamique did simply because of a lover's spat. Given Holdsclaw's past bouts of depression...it is clear that her "State of Mind" has been fragile for a long time. In either case, we are a society of laws and while Chamique may be in need of some medical help...she will have to pay for her crimes and only time will tell just how sinister they were.

Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who feels bad for Tenn fans, too--a couple of earthquaking events in the past couple of years.

Reaction Score
Celebrity doing/attempting harm to others. No special treatment by the legal system for her actions, has/had all the benefits of being a celebrity re "help, excuses, more help, more excuses, etc.". This is some serious stuff if some or all is true. You try shooting at your ex girlfriend and see what happens.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Consider what they would be saying on their board if Taurasi did this. And there wouldn't be a mod editing any of it either. Feel bad for people who struggle with depression. Don't feel bad for TN fans who are just mean ugly people, for the most part.

It's ironic how you identify the source of the problem, while oversimplifying the conclusion you make. When comparing populations as large as Tennessee fandom and Connecticut fandom, the total range of human variability is covered, and the norms should not differ by too much. Sure, there are cultural differences between north and south, but both are with the cultural context of America, which dominates both. In other words, fans are fans.

On the other hand, the moderator sample drawn from that population is much smaller. There not only might be, but one would expect significant differences in behavior based on that. I'm always sucking up to them but I'll do so once again - many Boneyarders may not fully appreciate how lucky we are with the moderators we have. Or, in other words, if we had the same type of moderators that govern the Tennessee board, we'd be referred to in general terms as mean ugly people as well.

Reaction Score
Holdsclaw is the womens basketball equivalent of Lindsay Lohan, only worse since she is putting others at risk with her erratic and self destructive behavior and clear intent to cause fear, injury and yes, perhaps even death. Like a train wreck you know you shouldn't look at but just can't look away. This is just as sad, and frightening, turn in her life. She is a tortured soul who clearly needs help, but who also should not be free to potentially inflict serious injury or death on others. I'm not sure incarceration is the answer, but for now it may be the only alternative. Yes, she committed a felony and should pay the price for that. But I pray that she gets the help she needs while in jail so she can find a measure of peace and stability that is so obviously missing in her current mental state.

Reaction Score
A judge in Atlanta on Friday set bond at $100,000 for ex-WNBA star and Olympic gold medalist Chamique Holdsclaw, who was in jail on assault and weapons charges.

Holdsclaw was ordered to wear a monitoring device and have no contact with Lacy.She was ordered back to a Fulton County court Nov. 30 to face charges of aggravated assault and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

From ESPN....

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I guess I'm the only one who feels bad for Tenn fans, too--a couple of earthquaking events in the past couple of years.

No, I feel very bad for all affected, including the Tennessee fans. Holdsclaw is loved by many and this most recent event only adds to the pain and sufferning.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's ironic how you identify the source of the problem, while oversimplifying the conclusion you make. When comparing populations as large as Tennessee fandom and Connecticut fandom, the total range of human variability is covered, and the norms should not differ by too much. Sure, there are cultural differences between north and south, but both are with the cultural context of America, which dominates both. In other words, fans are fans.

On the other hand, the moderator sample drawn from that population is much smaller. There not only might be, but one would expect significant differences in behavior based on that. I'm always sucking up to them but I'll do so once again - many Boneyarders may not fully appreciate how lucky we are with the moderators we have. Or, in other words, if we had the same type of moderators that govern the Tennessee board, we'd be referred to in general terms as mean ugly people as well.

I disagree. I think that board's moderator is a reflection of the members not vice versa. After all she depends on them for at least a portion of her income. :rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think that board's moderator is a reflection of the members not vice versa. After all she depends on them for at least a portion of her income. :rolleyes:
I think it is chicken and egg. The dependence flows both ways.

Reaction Score

Gas fumes will ignite, you can put a cigarette out in gas and it will not light but I don't recommend playing with gas.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Gas fumes will ignite, you can put a cigarette out in gas and it will not light but I don't recommend playing with gas.
One should distinguish between gas fumes, gasoline and gas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom