OT: - Basketball, life skills & NIL - what's most important? | The Boneyard

OT: Basketball, life skills & NIL - what's most important?

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Saw this tweet by Adia Barnes, and it got me thinking about what's important to players right now. Is she saying it's important because for some schools, it will be the top focus, with academics and athletics to follow, or is the comment a reflection on how NIL is changing the game, along with the portal, so there are so many moving parts?

Some may know, deep down, they don't have a chance in the W, so a degree and some NIL $ is the focus. Some players who know they will either play in the W or internationally, however for some, NIL $$ will be just as important, as the W doesn't pay like the NBA.

1680990142820.png

In listening to some of Geno's interviews regarding recruiting, he has an incredibly hard line on NIL discussions. He's made it clear that if the NIL topic comes up early, he's out. He wants players to commit to UConn for athletics & academics, and if NIL happens, great.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
"One of the most important" is a fungible expression. I agree with Coach Barnes in that it's a big factor for some players.

If you're from a poor family and your family isn't well-educated, and you learn of schools that have guaranteed "NIL" money for players, that can be a very strong motivator to go to one of those schools.

When I was looking at graduate schools, there was no way I'd consider one that didn't offer me an assistantship.

Reaction Score
Life skills...no question. Basketball doesn't last forever, and neither will NIL. Lot of lottery winners today are dead broke or both because of no financial management skills and no skills on how to handle all the "new" family members and friends. The value of a 4-year degree will outlast the NIL money most of these players receive during college. And sadly, if they don't have someone in their camp telling them this, then they're off to a bad start.

Reaction Score
I liken this new age of college athletics (transfer portal, NIL, and one free transfer) to the abolishment of the reserve clause in MLB in 1975. The separation of the haves and have nots is going to widen in college athletics. Like it or not NIL negotiations are going to become an upfront part of recruiting. Its already happening.

I spent 37 years in college athletics and retired just prior to all this. I have numerous friends still in that business scattered all around the country. Everyone of them is glad they are on the back 9. Most say it will be the downfall of college athletics as we know/knew it.

Reaction Score
I liken this new age of college athletics (transfer portal, NIL, and one free transfer) to the abolishment of the reserve clause in MLB in 1975. country. Everyone of them is glad they are on the back 9. Most say it will be the downfall of college athletics as we know/knew it.
Very thoughtful post. I think it's really interesting.

If we polled both Byers ad well as sports fans as well as athletes I would guess we would be close to 100% saying the abolishment of the reserve clause was a positive step.

To the extent the current situation in college athletics is similar to the abolishment of the reserve clause I find it fascinating what appears to be a majority condemnation.

Puts me in mind of Walt Whitman and the Leaves of Grass:

do I contradict myself
very well I contradict myself
i am large I contain multitudes.

Reaction Score
You need to cash in when the opportunity is there. The chance to cash in might not come around again.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Those who dream of playing in the WNBA, Olympics, or overseas, will go to the coach that they think will help them with that goal and get an education for free. Those that want the bucks and know that they have little chance in playing in the W, will go for the money.

Reaction Score

I've seen this before, and I agree with Geno's point of view, but.....

The NIL collectives in Texas and millionaires/billionaires getting involved might tip the scale. Not what I want to see happen, but it is happening already.

Reaction Score
What is important in life?

“Crush your enemies…drive them before you…and hear the lamentations of their players!” Geno the Barbarian

Life was much simpler then!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I've seen this before, and I agree with Geno's point of view, but.....

The NIL collectives in Texas and millionaires/billionaires getting involved might tip the scale. Not what I want to see happen, but it is happening already.
The Husky program under Geno and CD is unique. That said, UConn post Geno/CD will have to confront and adjust to the reality of the new landscape in college athletics.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom