Basketball has too many timeouts | The Boneyard

Basketball has too many timeouts

Reaction Score
Many fans disagree with me but never really have a response to me, but here are my thoughts.

I have been watching b-ball since 1992 when I was in second grade. I have always felt this way, even in second grade and I remember asking adults why there were so many timeouts in the game. It kills the action IMO, the excitement decreases with too many breaks in the action. I am living in Colombia and the biggest complaint down here, when I try to get other people into the sport (college ball) isn't what you would think: "who is this team and why do I care?" No, not that, but "there are just way too many timeouts!" is the biggest gripe.

It should not take 2 (or more) hours to play 40 minutes of actual basketball.

It will never happen but in a dream world they would completely do away with the useless TV timeouts at under 16, 12, 8 and 4 minutes. Well, they are only for ads, most fans hate them of course. I think basketball should take a page from other sports that find ways to advertise without so many dang breaks in the action. It is possible.

So in a perfect world they would give each coach maybe 3 60 second timeouts and 2 30 second timeouts per half. Better yet, do what every other basketball league does and finally move to 4 (ten minute) quarters. Then you can have 5 minute breaks in between quarters even, and give 2 60 second and 1 30 second timeout per quarter, carry over a maximum of one to the second half.

Than it would take around 75-80 minutes to finish a game instead of this 120 minutes.

But yah, that will never happen, but one can dream.

Reaction Score
It's inexplicable that they have TV timeouts every 4 minutes. NBA has fewer TV timeouts per game, and their games are 8 minutes longer.

With that said, I don't think they can do much at this point reducing the airtime they give to their sponsors.

Reaction Score
Plus most college basketball games take right around 2 hours which fits perfectly with TV schedules. If games were over in 1:45 it's not like they would start another game then. What would they do with 15 extra minutes of dead time for every game? Everything is done whatever is best for TV.

Reaction Score
I hear what you are saying. I love the game, just too bad about the timeouts. Probably nothing can be done, or likely, won't be done.

Reaction Score
It's inexplicable that they have TV timeouts every 4 minutes. NBA has fewer TV timeouts per game, and their games are 8 minutes longer.

With that said, I don't think they can do much at this point reducing the airtime they give to their sponsors.

Yup, there is no going back on TV timeouts now but I guess its still better than the touchdown, commercial, extra point, commercial, kick off, commercial NFL crap.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score

I agree although sponsors mean $'s. Of course we are all aware that 4 minutes in a college basketball game is close to 10-15 minutes of "time". Well it feels like it. That is why they have the 15 minute timeout. What will happen when they change the rule to 4 quarters? There goes the 15 minute and the 11 and 7 I believe. We have apples and oranges here but how about Monday, Thursday night football? Some of those games went into the next day.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom