Based only on how they looked tonight, who is in for USA team..... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Based only on how they looked tonight, who is in for USA team.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since Diana can/does play point... I think they just may go with a shooter, which is a role McBride does well.

Agree the other 'contested' spot is between Dupree or Stewart... or maybe both if Griner decides to drop out because the her eye injury.

My guess at the team...

Whalen, Bird
Taurasi, Augustus, McBride
Moore, McCoughtry
Charles, Ogumike, Stewart
Fowles, Griner

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Since Diana can/does play point... I think they just may go with a shooter, which is a role McBride does well.

Agree the other 'contested' spot is between Dupree or Stewart... or maybe both if Griner decides to drop out because the her eye injury.

My guess at the team...

Whalen, Bird
Taurasi, Augustus, McBride
Moore, McCoughtry
Charles, Ogumike, Stewart
Fowles, Griner
I like that line-up.
I really like Dupree's game and I think she is the type of veteran player that Geno has talked about who would be able to sit on the bench for long periods and then come in and perform at a high level when called or really needed. I am just afraid with the aging team USA basketball will see her as not serving the need to bring in new talent.
JoePgh - agree that Fowles will make the team, but quibble with your relegating Tina to only a 4 - on most of the teams she has played on she has been the primary 5 player and has gone against the Griners and Fowles head to head. She is capable of also playing the 4 with either of those two, but do not discount her post defense because she is 'only' 6'4". Some of the best post defenders in men's and women's BB have been 'undersized'.

Reaction Score
Nneka & Whalen really stood out to me. Geno & company are facing very tough choices about who to keep and who to cut. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
One thing that the announcers mentioned last night that may concern Geno and the other coaches:

Among the set of entire USA roster choices, one talent that really isn't represented (except maybe by Diana, but that is questionable) is a dead-eye 3-point shooter. Someone like Katy Smith, for example (or like KML about 4 years hence). Certainly no one other than Diana really has a 50% chance of hitting a 3-pointer to win the game, and it is fairly easy for opponents to guard one shooter if she is the only plausible candidate.

I know that Sue, Maya, Stewie, and others can go off on a particular night and hit 7 or 8 threes, but they can also have 2-for-11 nights and hurt their team by trying to score big from 3-land.

Remember that on the only occasion when the USA men have lost in international competition since NBA players have been allowed to play, it was because they lacked effective 3-point shooting and their European opponents had it in spades. The opponents could pack the paint on defense without worrying too much about guarding the USA perimeter shooters. The current women's team could possibly be vulnerable to the same strategy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
JoePgh -
I think you underestimate a number of players:
Sue Bird - .383 for her career three point shooter and probably as clutch as anyone other than DT.
Diana - actually a .368 career 3 shooter but absolutely clutch
Maya - .385 (pretty clutch)
Augustus - not really her 'thing' as her pull up 2 pointer is her best weapon, but .372
Breanna - should she make the team has performed amazingly on previous USA teams including hitting I believe 60% from three during one tournament.
Katie Smith career average was 'only' .367

Anything above .360 is pretty good over the space of a season considering that few jump shooters hit more that .450 from 2 (excluding their layups which is the equivalent points to shooting .300 from 3. Shooting .360 is the equivalent of shooting .540 from two.

I don't disagree about the outside shooting being an issue for a few of USA men's teams over the years. I don't believe it has been as much of an issue for the women - they have almost always had good shooters and the teamwork and balance for those shooters to get open.

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Taurasi.jpg

In the 2012 Olympics and 2010 World Championship, Taurasi shot 42% and 50% from 3 pt range..!! She was 15-35 and 14-28 from beyond the arc..!! Go ahead and cover her, it doesn't matter. ;)
The team shot 32-105 or 30.5% at the 2012 Olympics. More importantly, opponents only shot 27.5% from 3 pt range, were out rebounded 404-266 and out scored 90.6 pts/game to 56.2 pts/game. The closest game was Australia in the semis, won by USA by 13 points. In the final, USA won by 36..!

USA dominates inside the paint, outside shooting and w/ fast break points. At the Olympics, they had twice as many steals, three times as many blocked shots and 75 more assists than opponents. With Australia banged up, nobody will come within 15 pts of USA, even in the medal rounds. If I'm wrong, first beer on me at the Naples Tournament..:rolleyes:

Go USA...!!!

Reaction Score
Assuming the committee will reserve one spot for a "new guard", and based on
offense alone, I (like most folks, I think) would take McBride over Diggins. But
Geno values defense very highly and I don't have a feel for how these two compare
defensively. I know Diggins got a lot of steals in college, but how do they compare
in terms of keeping their opponent in front of them? (I am assuming that Sims
health issues may keep her from being selected).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Nneka & Whalen really stood out to me. Geno & company are facing very tough choices about who to keep and who to cut. Wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

I bet Geno's shoes are too small for you.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
offense alone, I (like most folks, I think) would take McBride over Diggins. But
Geno values defense very highly and I don't have a feel for how these two compare
defensively. I know Diggins got a lot of steals in college, but how do they compare
I also think Vandersloot who has been in the pool for 4 years now has a legit shot at being selected. In terms of PG capability as opposed to scoring she may be the best of the options - and do not forget Robinson on that front as well.

G

genosguy

Whalen was the best player on the floor. Maya didn't shoot well but she was the only big who played consistent defense. I actually thought Stewie defended pretty well, too, but the others on the white team got burned by Whalen's playmaking all night long. In the first half she found Lavender for lay-ups time after time and in the second half she hit a bunch of nice jumpers. Stef acquitted herself well, but Bria was not effective. Skylar made some noise but I'd rather have MoJeff running the point. Geno must have had some deja vu moments when Tina missed a bunch of chippies early in the game.
Hartley was a bit outclassed by those present, I wasn't impressed by Sims. I hated Diggin for the 4 year against Uconn--but near games end she was impressive trying to get the W. Steff was good and I think belongs with the group. Stewies (maybe biased a bit) looked better than during the season, with pro's setting her up. Charles wasn't at her best. The Mikies sisters make all team a bit better. It certainly was fun to watch USA play USA--defense was not up to Geno's standards.

G

genosguy

McBride is bigger, is a consistent scorer--hits the 3 more often than Diggins--yet, I think the X factor is Diggins (pardon the pun) digs in when the going get toughest--McBride not so much. (again, I have a bias against Diggie Baby, the self promoter)

G

genosguy

I don't disagree about the outside shooting being an issue for a few of USA men's teams over the years. I don't believe it has been as much of an issue for the women - they have almost always had good shooters and the teamwork and balance for those shooters to get open.[/QUOTE]
As far as Clutch goes---Sue Bird has a history of passing before shooting, setting up before scoring, plays decent defense--when the last second come and her team is behind--she has a history of paying off. DT, too. The question which one would you put the ball in their hands at games end with the game on the line? Me, it's Bird. (another bias of mine---I guess my parents taught me to be biased, stay with the one you believe in)

G

genosguy

One thing that the announcers mentioned last night that may concern Geno and the other coaches:

Among the set of entire USA roster choices, one talent that really isn't represented (except maybe by Diana, but that is questionable) is a dead-eye 3-point shooter. Someone like Katy Smith, for example (or like KML about 4 years hence). Certainly no one other than Diana really has a 50% chance of hitting a 3-pointer to win the game, and it is fairly easy for opponents to guard one shooter if she is the only plausible candidate.

I know that Sue, Maya, Stewie, and others can go off on a particular night and hit 7 or 8 threes, but they can also have 2-for-11 nights and hurt their team by trying to score big from 3-land.

Remember that on the only occasion when the USA men have lost in international competition since NBA players have been allowed to play, it was because they lacked effective 3-point shooting and their European opponents had it in spades. The opponents could pack the paint on defense without worrying too much about guarding the USA perimeter shooters. The current women's team could possibly be vulnerable to the same strategy.
Even Diana is known to hit none for 15---no one is 100 percent consistent every game, some do so much else (Sue, Diana) that you fail to notice the lack of 3's going in.

G

genosguy

The player on the cusp who did most in this one competitive event to play herself on to the team was Nneka. She seemed to be shouting, "I wanna be on this friggin' team!"

If anyone had the remotest doubt about Whalen, they can forget it. She's a lock!

Curious who will start on Monday. I believe Geno will draw only from the campers not those late because of WNBA playoffs. Lots of PT for those on the cusp.
I didn't hear her F---ring comment? When did she say that. From what her parents say , she was brought up to speak better than that. Most like she said to Geno I really want to be on this team and will work my tail off to win.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I didn't hear her F---ring comment? When did she say that. From what her parents say , she was brought up to speak better than that. Most like she said to Geno I really want to be on this team and will work my tail off to win.

The operable word in my post was seemed, rendering the post imaginary, or seemingly. Certainly not meant to be a direct quote, because that would indeed have unseemly.;)

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Kibitzer said:
The operable word in my post was seemed, rendering the post imaginary, or seemingly. Certainly not meant to be a direct quote, because that would indeed have unseemly.;)

Operative :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom