Based only on how they looked tonight, who is in for USA team..... | The Boneyard

Based only on how they looked tonight, who is in for USA team.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
....and who would YOU not pick for YOUR team..........and who on your bubble?

I'll start with IN based ONLY on tonight: Whalen, McCoughtry (sp), Lavender, Neka O, Sims , Charles, McBride,Stewart. (Pls excuse spelling...for once, the errors are not typos)

OUT: Hartley, Augustus, Moore.

BUBBLE: Dolson...... Didn't see enuf to have opinions on the others.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
So I take it by "based on tonight" you removed any memory of players prior performance in college or the pros.

Reaction Score
Of the newbies, Nneka & McBride impressed. Sims some too. Stewie had some great moments, but she needs to be more assertive now - on O and D.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
There may be a number of locks for the team, but the most ironclad locks are the 2 players who topped the MVP and All-WNBA voting: Maya and Diana.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I hope you are just kidding around !!!!!!!??
Actually, I think he is making a point about who played well in the scrimmage. There isn't anything about the post that suggests the teams should be chosen based only on one "game", only who would you choose based only on the game. In other words, who played the best / worst.

In some ways, it points out the fallacy of basing opinions on one outing, although fans often do it.

Reaction Score
....and who would YOU not pick for YOUR team.....and who on your bubble?

I'll start with IN based ONLY on tonight: Whalen, McCoughtry (sp), Lavender, Neka O, Sims , Charles, McBride,Stewart. (Pls excuse spelling...for once, the errors are not typos)

OUT: Hartley, Augustus, Moore.

BUBBLE: Dolson. Didn't see enuf to have opinions on the others.

Whalen was the best player on the floor. Maya didn't shoot well but she was the only big who played consistent defense. I actually thought Stewie defended pretty well, too, but the others on the white team got burned by Whalen's playmaking all night long. In the first half she found Lavender for lay-ups time after time and in the second half she hit a bunch of nice jumpers. Stef acquitted herself well, but Bria was not effective. Skylar made some noise but I'd rather have MoJeff running the point. Geno must have had some deja vu moments when Tina missed a bunch of chippies early in the game.

Reaction Score
Of the newbies, Nneka & McBride impressed. Sims some too. Stewie had some great moments, but she needs to be more assertive now - on O and D.[/QUOTE

j66: good stuff and responsive to the question as posed.

Reaction Score
It's clear from tonight that Augustus and Moore have seen their best years... they should stop even dreaming about playing for USA Basketball...

TJ: how can you look so much like DD and yet consistently exhibit such a total inability to comprehend?

Reaction Score
There may be a number of locks for the team, but the most ironclad locks are the 2 players who topped the MVP and All-WNBA voting: Maya and Diana.

MIL: yup, should certainly be among the many locks.....but neither of them based on tonight....one not there and one subpar.

Reaction Score
Actually, I think he is making a point about who played well in the scrimmage. There isn't anything about the post that suggests the teams should be chosen based only on one "game", only who would you choose based only on the game. In other words, who played the best / worst.

In some ways, it points out the fallacy of basing opinions on one outing, although fans often do it.

KBA: precisely.

Reaction Score
Whalen was the best player on the floor. Maya didn't shoot well but she was the only big who played consistent defense. I actually thought Stewie defended pretty well, too, but the others on the white team got burned by Whalen's playmaking all night long. In the first half she found Lavender for lay-ups time after time and in the second half she hit a bunch of nice jumpers. Stef acquitted herself well, but Bria was not effective. Skylar made some noise but I'd rather have MoJeff running the point. Geno must have had some deja vu moments when Tina missed a bunch of chippies early in the game.

SLUG: you are clearly no slug. Good stuff. Sleep tight.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score

Absolutely Bridge

It's an intellectual exercise based on what one saw tonight
Maya and Simone shot poorly but certainly Maya and almost certainly Simone will be on the team.
Robinson didn't get enough time
Sims wasn't quite as aggressive as I'd imagine she'd be
Stewie was good, did a little of everything; lot's of hustle on break-outs; on the boards, assists, scoring around the hoop.
You can't think about leaving Angel out.
Diggins seemed to have a bit of hands of stone; a touch disappointing.
McBride has been fearless and excellent for two camps now.
Nneka made a huge statement; I want to be on this team…piu forte) Anybody hear me? Bet she made it.

I know I left out a bunch, but these are the folks I wanted to write about.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Whalen - brilliant.
Maya shot like crap, but played great defense and made some pretty passes.
Nneka - scored a lot and rebounded very well - defense and offensive flow were not as strong.
Stewart - pretty quiet. Little bit of everything but nothing spectacular.
Diggins - scored some baskets but didn't think she ran the team well.
Hartley - didn't score and didn't play very well either.
Sims - OK, but nothing special.
McBride - shot well and looked strong.
Charles - scored but missed chippies. Not a great game.
Angel - made her case for inclusion strongly.
Augustus - thought she did what she does which is score.
Chiney - pretty quiet.
Bird - looked good defensively and shot well.
Lavender - played the two man game with Whalen brilliantly, but I don't know that there is a place for a fourth center and I think Fowles, Charles, and Griner are in front of her.
Robinson - would have liked to see more of her.
January - pretty quiet.
Dolson - set some big screens and I thought played pretty well, but see Lavender comment for her chance to make the team.

Looking back - I thought the white team had terrible help defense and was not very coordinated on offense. The red team offense was much sharper. It actually surprises me in thinking about the play that the white team actually took the lead late in the second half - they shot very well but the offense was not well oiled.

Based on this game I think Nneka played herself onto the team. I did not think any of the new PGs really distinguished themselves - Sue DT and Whalen are I think locks - who the young guard(s) are is still a mystery. The one new guard that stood out was McBride but I don't think she is a PG option which is what the committee is really looking for.

Last edited:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The player on the cusp who did most in this one competitive event to play herself on to the team was Nneka. She seemed to be shouting, "I wanna be on this friggin' team!"

If anyone had the remotest doubt about Whalen, they can forget it. She's a lock!

Curious who will start on Monday. I believe Geno will draw only from the campers not those late because of WNBA playoffs. Lots of PT for those on the cusp.

Reaction Score
According to the announcers there are 8 returning Olympians who Geno indicated were very likely to make the team. That leaves 4 openings. Nkeka was fantastic tonight. That leaves 3 spots. Stewie was very good. She's in. I can't believe Griner won't be on the team. That leaves 1 opening most likely between Diggins, MacBride or Sims. Sims said she had lingering knee problems. Unlikely to make the team. Skylar is very good but I think Geno might want a more consistent 3 point and mid-range shooter. My guess MacBride gets the final spot.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I think that a message was sent that none of the "new" PGs are being considered. They were all put in the game playing the 2 and none of them were really inserted at the point. Sims, Diggins and DRob all will shine at PG and they really did not get a chance to show their PG skills.

Nneka was tremendous. She looks like a lock to me.

I was very disappointed in post defense. Charles couldn't stop Lavender and Lavender couldn't stop Charlea. Cambage would take it to both of them.

Whalen is the best PG but I thought Bird looked great, also. Her shot looked good and she was the player pulling the team together and telling everyone what to do. Whalen and Bird are locks, IMO.

Angel is in, as is Maya. Maya's shooting in this game will have zero impact on her status.

I'm not sure about Stewart, but I think she's in. But I would not be surprised to see Dupree snag a spot.

Here are the players I think make the team.
BG, Charles
Stewart, Nneka, Dupree
Maya, Angel, Augustus
DT, Whalen, Bird, McBride

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Seems even though it was just one game, Nneka may very well have made the team based on last night.
Perhaps also McBride.

Reaction Score
I think Nneka is the only newbie who played herself onto the team yesterday. If McBride keeps it up she might get there too. Stewart still has something to prove, but will probably be given the benefit of the doubt if she asserts herself. Griner pretty much just has to show up an do what she does, and be able to see out of that eye (or at least the other eye). I don't think any of the vets played themselves OFF the team.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think that a message was sent that none of the "new" PGs are being considered. They were all put in the game playing the 2 and none of them were really inserted at the point. Sims, Diggins and DRob all will shine at PG and they really did not get a chance to show their PG skills.

Nneka was tremendous. She looks like a lock to me.

Here are the players I think make the team.
BG, Charles
Stewart, Nneka, Dupree
Maya, Angel, Augustus
DT, Whalen, Bird, McBride
You are leaving Sylvia Fowles off the team? I can't see that happening. I know that her play in the recent playoffs has been uneven, but her stats are quite good, and she is the best real height behind Griner -- the only other player who is a plausible 5 against the better international teams. Tina is a 4 at that level -- doesn't have the height to go against Cambage, for example.

I agree with your other selections, except that I would say that Stewie and McBride are still question marks. Instead of McBride, I would think that one of the other "young PG's" would make the team, if only as insurance for 2016. I don't know if it would be Sims, Diggins, Robinson, Vandersloot, or Briann January (who I thought looked good last night), but one of those needs to be on the team.

Dupree might be selected instead of Stewie. Best for 2014, if not for the future.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You are leaving Sylvia Fowles off the team? I can't see that happening. I know that her play in the recent playoffs has been uneven, but her stats are quite good, and she is the best real height behind Griner -- the only other player who is a plausible 5 against the better international teams. Tina is a 4 at that level -- doesn't have the height to go against Cambage, for example.

I agree with your other selections, except that I would say that Stewie and McBride are still question marks. Instead of McBride, I would think that one of the other "young PG's" would make the team, if only as insurance for 2016. I don't know if it would be Sims, Diggins, Robinson, Vandersloot, or Briann January (who I thought looked good last night), but one of those needs to be on the team.

Dupree might be selected instead of Stewie. Best for 2014, if not for the future.

You may be right about Syl. She has looked very average against Griner, but that doesn't mean that she won't be needed when we match up with Cambage. I may need to remove McBride and add Fowles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom