Based on production at QB, our best one is... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Based on production at QB, our best one is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Completely disagree. Under normal circumstances what you are saying would be true, no question. But these are not normal circumstances on two very important counts:

1. UConn hasn't had consistently good quarterbacking since Dan O left in 2004. This is a deplorable situation.
2. UConn hasn't had an effective offense since the 2009 season (the Andre Dixon, Jordan Todman, Marcus Easley year). Even in the Fiesta Bowl year that offense was touchdown challenged. It has gotten far worse since that time.

This season is a train wreck, 3-9 or 0-12 who cares? Let's find out whether these kids can play. We already know Whitmer's ceiling after 12 games last season and 4 this year . . . . . . and it's pretty low. Boyle looks to be the best thrower of the bunch, but needs to learn this position (not forcing passes, making reads, looking to options 2 or 4, not locking on to his intended receiver, getting rid of the ball quicker). Cochran? Not a strong passing arm, overthrew wide open WR's, underthrew wide open WR's, and ball seems to come out of his hands funny (small hands?). He does have moxy though. Is he the answer . . . . don't think so, but let's see what he can do over the next few games.

If after 4 games apiece, they can't separate themselves, then let's start bringing in 2 or 3 QBs a year until this thing gets fixed. Also (and I'm starting to do a 180 on this), maybe the time has come to abandon the search for a Pro Style passer (the next Dan O) and opt for a mobile QB who can run like Tyler Lorenzen and throw the ball effectively too.

Um I said start Cochran - so not sure what you disagree with.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Might be the best because of experience but to say it's not close is foolish. The other 2 are much more talented (maybe not ready) and that's not close! For now Cochran is the best for the program.

I'm not even going to give you that. What's best for the program is to put the best player at a given position out on the field. You admit that Cochran isn't the best. Saying that these two guys are "much more talented" than Whitmer, well that's foolish.

Reaction Score
Casey Cochran... efficient numbers.. points on the board in a period of time as QB, mainly in the form of TDs... He's been the best... I know it's game one for him as the starter, but he seems to be getting it with the lights on...

So far, a good example of how practice play doesn't necessarily mean much...

It's too bad that Cochran didn't get a chance last season. If we want to break in a new QB, unless he has a strong supporting cast, he is going to struggle. Last year, with the defense (stocked with high draft picks in each level), he could afford to be less than perfect and still give us a chance. Of course, the O-line was (continues to be) abysmal, so it would have been a struggle, but getting to a bowl game last year was possible.

Reaction Score
Durks,
The problem with starting Cochran last year is that it would have been like startign Boyle this year. Maybe worse. He simply was not ready. Most schools redshirt freshman quarterbacks not because of lack of talent but because the position is very difficult, play calling is much more complex than most high school offenses and most defenses are both faster and far more complicated than is played at any high school. You redshirt a player to give him time to both learn the system and adjust to the increased complexities of the game at that level.

Reaction Score
Durks,
The problem with starting Cochran last year is that it would have been like startign Boyle this year. Maybe worse. He simply was not ready. Most schools redshirt freshman quarterbacks not because of lack of talent but because the position is very difficult, play calling is much more complex than most high school offenses and most defenses are both faster and far more complicated than is played at any high school. You redshirt a player to give him time to both learn the system and adjust to the increased complexities of the game at that level.

To your point, I did forget that Casey is only in his second year in the program, so there is that. It would be like starting Boyle this year in that sense, but if the objective is winning football games, Casey had a better chance last year than Boyle does this year. The defense could keep Uconn in games last year. This year's defense cannot.

I doubt that it would have been "worse." Considering the QB play from the last 10 years or so, worse is impossible to measure.

I'm not pretending that anyone could lead last year's team to 10+ wins, but considering that Uconn lost four games last year by less than a TD, a bowl game was possible. Though, it would have led to more PP, so I guess it all worked out.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm sure Casey would have been 13-0 last year playing with a broken wrist.

Anytime you can play a true freshman who misses summer camp because he has a broken wrist you have to do it.

Can we at least pay attention?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The best QB has been Cochran by far.

Whitmer had a season and a half to show that he could move in the pocket, make progressions, avoid costly turnovers, make a play when it was needed and get the rest of the team to play hard. It never happened. The same Whitmer showed up for his 17 start as showed up for his first start.

I believe it was necessary for Boyle to play so the coaches could evaluate him against live competition. He is too raw and the game was moving too fast for him. Smart move to sit him down. I didn't like the results of his performance but it was necessary.

Cochran is the only one to move this offense on multiple drives. He made plays. I still think his throats float out there and so many of them look like they're gonna get picked. But they didn't.

Reaction Score
Our QB's inability to get yards by running the football is going to be changed by the new Coach hopefully. We are way behind the herd here. Watching the UCF and SMU QB's run around our defense for touchdowns the last 2 games when both these guys are as tall and heavier than Boyle drives home this point. We are making it too easy for the opposing defense.

Reaction Score
good stuff here guys... agreed on Whitmer being the best, as for giving us a chance to win, but we're not building a future with him, which negates him being in the running.

I don't agree with this at all. Whitmer is only a junior so he can start for us next season. I'd like to see how he does at the reins of an offense without DeLeone in the mix. Either way I'm glad we'll at least have some game tape on all of them for next year's coach. I'm still frustrated that P didn't give everyone a fair shake his first year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I thought Cochran was better last weekend than Whitmer has been all year, or even most of last year. His turnovers came late in the game, and I expect that he will learn from them. His pocket presence and ability to avoid the rush is light-years ahead of Whitmer's. He's been the best so far and deserves to keep playing. For those who attribute the run game to his success, isn't it possible that the run game has improved partly due to the change at QB? With Whitmer, no DC would do anything but blitz and put everybody in the box on every down. He doesn't manage pressure well and you effectively shut down the run at the same time. Against the others, you need to keep more people back in coverage, giving more room to the RBs. I'm sure GDL's absence helps, but there are other factors.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The run game has improved under Cochran? Aside from last week, he's been in in garbage time. The run may have "improved" partly because Coach is using a better mix of runners, and because SMU isn't that good. Not knocking Cochran, but the evidence at this point is pretty limited regarding the relationship between his tenure and better rushing numbers. It's been hard to disagree with any of the QB changes. It's also hard to say that Whitmer is a lot better than the other two, although Boyle clearly wasn't ready. Neither Whitmer nor Boyle had the benefit of great pass protection, so for this year anyway, the one of them who seems to make the quickest reads and has the quickest release would seem to have an edge, and that seems to be Cochran. As far as accuracy goes, I though Whitmer was pretty good in short to mid-range passing. Apart from reading defenses (and leadership qualities), I think accuracy and timing trump arm strength if I had to choose between relatively equal QB's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The run game has improved under Cochran? Aside from last week, he's been in in garbage time. The run may have "improved" partly because Coach is using a better mix of runners, and because SMU isn't that good. Not knocking Cochran, but the evidence at this point is pretty limited regarding the relationship between his tenure and better rushing numbers. It's been hard to disagree with any of the QB changes. It's also hard to say that Whitmer is a lot better than the other two, although Boyle clearly wasn't ready. Neither Whitmer nor Boyle had the benefit of great pass protection, so for this year anyway, the one of them who seems to make the quickest reads and has the quickest release would seem to have an edge, and that seems to be Cochran. As far as accuracy goes, I though Whitmer was pretty good in short to mid-range passing. Apart from reading defenses (and leadership qualities), I think accuracy and timing trump arm strength if I had to choose between relatively equal QB's.

I didn't mean Cochran, I meant somebody besides Whitmer. The run game has gradually improved. The factors affecting that seem to be (1) new OL coaching, no GDL, Foley back (2) more use of other backs, although McCombs has been better too (3) changes from Whitmer at QB. These all happened at the same time. I think all have a positive effect on the run game.

What I saw happening with Whitmer, was the opposing defense recognized that they could drop 4 or fewer in coverage even on passing downs, and stuff the box. He was very nervous in the pocket, spinning directly into defenders rather than stepping into the pocket and throwing too many INTs and taking too many sacks. With Boyle and Cochran the defense didn't cheat to the same degree. Cochran seems to be the most mobile and best at avoiding pressure. The result is that the D needs to drop more men in coverage more often and can't load the box. That opens room for the running game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom