Baseball Riddle #1 | The Boneyard

Baseball Riddle #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In the spirit of OT topics this time of year..........................

How can a batter get 3 RBI's without hitting a fair ball?
I'll post my answer in a couple of days.

Reaction Score
hit by pitch with bases loaded.
walk with bases loaded.
long fly ball foul, runner on third tags and scores.

Reaction Score
I agree with the above response unless it has to be three RBIs on the same play.

dannykuconn

Cheerman of Board
Reaction Score
I am going to disagree on the foul ball and runner tags. No RBI.
the only third option I can come up with is bases loaded the batter swings and the bat hits the catchers glove and he gets an RBI for interference.
hit by pitch with bases loaded.
walk with bases loaded.

I am going to disagree on the foul ball and runner tags. No RBI. That is one of the 3 ways that a runner scores with no RBI.

Reaction Score
Some sort of error on a foul ball which leads to all three base runners in a bases loaded situation scoring.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Some sort of error on a foul ball which leads to all three base runners in a bases loaded situation scoring.
a missed catch on a foul ball is what I was thinking but...

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
You don't get RBIs if you reach due to an error. You might get the first RBI if it woulda been a sac fly, but the other 2 would be unearned

mets1090

Reaction Score
If you hit a long fly ball in foul territory with less than 2 outs and the bases are loaded, if the outfielder just kinda stands there with the ball and all three runners score I think the batter would get credit for all 3 RBIs. There is no error on the play so they are all earned and should be credited as RBIs.

A more realistic way this can happen is if the ball is caught by the outfielder and he is injured on the play and unable to throw the ball to the infield. All three runs would score easily and no error would be charged.

Reaction Score
If you hit a long fly ball in foul territory with less than 2 outs and the bases are loaded,

if the ball is caught by the outfielder and he is injured on the play and unable to throw the ball to the infield, all three runs would score easily and no error would be charged.

+1
Cut, pasted, edited, submitted;

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Outfielder tosses foul fly ball into stands for young fan, thinking inning is over, with bases loaded and one or no outs. No google.

Reaction Score
3-2 pitch with 2 outs and bases loaded. Pitch is a ball with the runners moving, first run scores on the bases loaded walk and 2 more runs score on a wild pitch/passed ball, which are not considered errors, so all runs are earned.

mets1090

Reaction Score
3-2 pitch with 2 outs and bases loaded. Pitch is a ball with the runners moving, first run scores on the bases loaded walk and 2 more runs score on a wild pitch/passed ball, which are not considered errors, so all runs are earned.
1) A Passed Ball would lead to unearned runs, but the Wild Pitch would not so that works.
2) I also considered this scenario, but chose the injury on the foul sac fly for 2 reasons. First, the odds of someone scoring from first on a Wild Pitch are not great. Possible with some crazy bounces or if the pitcher just doesn't cover the plate due to rage, but still not likely. If a foul sac fly is caught while the outfielder face plants into the wall and is knocked out cold, all 3 runs will definitely score. Second, I don't think the batter would get RBIs for the second two runs, only the first.

Reaction Score

I believe a passed ball is considered an error. I also do not believe that a run scored on a wild pitch is earned, thus not RBI eligible. The first run that scored in your scenario, IMO, is, in fact, and RBI since ot was a walk regardless of the pitch being wild or the ball getting away from the catcher.

Reaction Score
Outfielder tosses foul fly ball into stands for young fan, thinking inning is over, with bases loaded and one or no outs. No google.

My feeling is that this would be similar to a ground rules double with two basesd awarded to every runner, thus the runner at first only getting as far as third base.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
My feeling is that this would be similar to a ground rules double with two basesd awarded to every runner, thus the runner at first only getting as far as third base.

V...good point. Frankly, it was my best and only guess.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
But it is not two bases from the start of the at bat but the start of the play and if the runners break on contact they can potentially be far enough on the award of the two bases to score, not likely but possibly.

No RBIs are awarded on a wild pitch either see Rule 10.04(a)

Reaction Score
Lot's of good discussion here, but no cigar yet.
I will post my answer tomorrow.
Meanwhile, does anyone else have any stumpers like this; seems like we're having fun with it?

mets1090

Reaction Score
Lot's of good discussion here, but no cigar yet.
I will post my answer tomorrow.
Meanwhile, does anyone else have any stumpers like this; seems like we're having fun with it?
I'm sure you have a different scenario but I'm fairly confident mine would result in 3 RBI's on a foul ball with a single sac fly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm sure you have a different scenario but I'm fairly confident mine would result in 3 RBI's on a foul ball with a single sac fly.
I agree. Foul fly ball. Based loaded. Fielder catches the ball, trips and knocks himself unnconsious. He falls with the ball still in his glove and under his body. Players rush to get the ball but can't move him fast enough and all 3 runners score.

Reaction Score
If you hit a long fly ball in foul territory with less than 2 outs and the bases are loaded, if the outfielder just kinda stands there with the ball and all three runners score I think the batter would get credit for all 3 RBIs. There is no error on the play so they are all earned and should be credited as RBIs.

A more realistic way this can happen is if the ball is caught by the outfielder and he is injured on the play and unable to throw the ball to the infield. All three runs would score easily and no error would be charged.

mets1090, this is very creative. I'm not an official scorer, but your conclusion about the 3 RBI's makes sense, but may or may not be correct. I'm just not sure how they would score it.

Reaction Score
My answer to Baseball Riddle #1. This was explained to me by a former umpire.

The bases are loaded of course.

The batter hits a slow roller down the 3rd base line. The pitcher realizes that if the ball rolls fair he will have no chance for a force out. [Remember now that a ground ball is neither fair nor foul until in reaches a base or is touched by a fielder.]

Before the ball reaches 3rd base, the pitcher throws his glove at the ball and knocks it way out of bounds - illegal! By rule, the batter is awarded three bases and all three runners score - 3RBI's.

Reaction Score
Anybody have any sports riddles? I think thyey're fun, no?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
My answer to Baseball Riddle #1. This was explained to me by a former umpire.

The bases are loaded of course.

The batter hits a slow roller down the 3rd base line. The pitcher realizes that if the ball rolls fair he will have no chance for a force out. [Remember now that a ground ball is neither fair nor foul until in reaches a base or is touched by a fielder.]

Before the ball reaches 3rd base, the pitcher throws his glove at the ball and knocks it way out of bounds - illegal! By rule, the batter is awarded three bases and all three runners score - 3RBI's.

IMO, I don't believe there would be any RBI's on the illegal play.

Reaction Score
But, when the fielder throws his mitt and touches the ball, the ball is in fair territory and thus the ball becomes fair the moment his glove touches it. Yes, the batter is awarded third base, but if he can make it home on the play he's entitled because the ball is still considered to be in play. I don't think it's true that a ball is not fair or foul until it reaches 1st or 3rd. It's fair until it goes foul before reaching the base.

So, the batter in this riddle did hit a fair ball.

Here are the rules I think would govern:

Definition: A FAIR BALL is a batted ball that settles on fair ground between home and first
base, or between home and third base, or that is on or over fair territory when bounding to
the outfield past first or third base, or that touches first, second or third base, or that first
falls on fair territory on or beyond first base or third base, or that, while on or over fair Rule 2.00
territory touches the person of an umpire or player, or that, while over fair territory, passes
out of the playing field in flight

Rule 7.05 Each runner including the batter-runner may, without liability to be put out,
advance—
Rule 7.05 c Three bases, if a fielder deliberately throws his glove at and touches a fair ball. The
ball is in play and the batter may advance to home base at his peril.

I think this makes sense. It's kind of like a delayed call in hockey, where the ref lets the play happen before stopping play so as not to penalize the batter. Perhaps there is a rule that is an exception to what I've outlined above. Regardless, thanks for posting it. It's an interesting scenario, and I'll try to come up with another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom