Baseball Recruiting and Commitment Thread

His twitter account shows him as a UConn commit. Right hand pitcher.

Zach Donahue (@zdonahue21) | Twitter

Zach Donahue - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Here's a scouting account from Prep Baseball Report from last year:

SOUTH WINDSOR VS AVON SCOUTING NOTES - 5/27/16
By Trevor Brown
Co-Director of Scouting

Zachary Donahue, RHP, South Windsor, 2019
Scouting Report:
Only a freshman was very impressive with his start against Avon. He throws strikes, throwing a 4seam fastball at 78-80 MPH, a 2-seam fastball with good cut at 76 MPH, a tight slider at 70-71 MPH, and a curveball at 63-65 MPH. He had command of his offspeed throwing them for first pitch strikes, but sometimes lost command of his fastball. He got himself in a jam, but did not lose composure at all. He battled through it and got out of it without letting up a run. I liked his slider the best and can see it being a very good strikeout pitch. With him only being a freshman he has a lot of time to develop to become a dominate pitcher.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Looks like a new 2020 commit (and a BIG one).
Prep Baseball Report - Player: David Christoforo

6-20-18
6-foot-6, 232-pound, large, wide, monster athletic frame. Legs, hands and wrists have above average strength to them. Moves extremely well for his size. A left-handed hitter, top tool is his ability to hit and hit with power. At the plate, hands are super loose at the shoulders, feet are even, wider than shoulder width. The lower half is under control, uses a small leg kick for timing, hands have separation during the load. The swing is flat through the zone, and finishes high with two hands. The approach is more to the pull side, shows big time power, has lift and length to the swing. The tee exit velocity was clocked at 89 mph, ran the sixty yard dash at 7.87, moves well. The batting practice was impressive, along with making hard contact during game play. Defensively, moves extremely well at both behind the plate and at first base. The arm was clocked at 79 mph with pop time of 1.94- 2.03, arm gets a tick long and works out of a high ¾ slot. The feet are quick, locks down the front side, solid flight to the baseball. The footwork, glove are smooth and soft hands around the bag, good drops steps in starting the double play. The arm was clocked at 77 mph across the diamond. The glove is clean, can pick the baseball with ease. Solid, tall target to throw to. Projects for me as more of a first baseman long term, good chance will outgrow as a catcher. Big time power guy, should be off the board fairly quick.
Dave Christoforo is every bit of 6’6, 232. Got a chance to see him play in a Fall Ball game today. BIG (literally) upside!!! I think he still has room to grow physically and developmentally. He’s very wide in his batting stance and that limits his ability to use his lower half more effectively and efficiently. He is very loose and fluid with his swing. When he learns to use his lower half, he has the potential to put up huge power numbers at the college level. Seems like a great kid. From what I’ve heard, he’s also learning to play RF to give him another opportunity to see the field early. Christoforo caught the game I saw and looked very good behind the dish. He has a cannon for an arm but is a bit long with his release. That’s something that can be cleaned up. I could see him eventually being a catcher, but playing 1B, Designated Hitter, or RF early on. His bat (and power potential) could get him in the lineup early.

Hand Quarterback Phoenix Billings, A UConn Baseball Commit, Has Developed Into A College Quarterback Prospect

>“He’s one of those kids that you almost have to revisit and say, ‘Hey you’re sure you don’t want to be a college quarterback?’” Hand football coach Dave Mastroianni said.<

>“I thought about it earlier in my process in the recruiting for both sports,” Billings said. “I’ve always had a love for baseball. Football is right there with it, but baseball has always sort of been my thing I love to do and have wanted to do at the next level.”<

Last edited:

Class of 2021 - Garbowski is a 5-11 175 catcher L/R from New Fairfield High School in New Fairfield CT.
First UConn baseball recruit from the high school class of 2021 that has been reported here. UConn gets another lefty hitting catcher prospect. Catching baton goes potentially from Susi to Winkel to Garbowski. Also pretty rare for UConn to get a commitment from someone during their sophomore year in high school.

Last edited:
More on Matt Garbowski from Prep Baseball Report:

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Matthew Garbowski

>9.19.18

5-foot-11, 175-pound, strong, physical frame, has strength throughout, hands, wrists and lower half have above average strength for his age. A left-handed hitting catcher, has a big arm, clocked at 82 mph, downhill flight, absolute rocket coming out of his hand. The pop time was a legit 1.90-2.10. The setup behind the dish is wide and even based, right foot replaces left foot in transfer, front side closes down and everything is tracked towards target. The hands are extremely strong on the catch, gets around the baseball, doesn't lose many pitches. At the plate, setup is balanced, feet are slightly wider than shoulder width, front foot starts open. The hands are held at the shoulders, bats starts in a flat position. The swing is short to contact, powerful, path is level through the zone, finishes at the shoulders with two hands. The approach is more middle of the field with good power to pull side, had a tee exit velocity of 87 mph, hard solid round of batting practice. Runs very well for a catcher, clocked at 7.19 in the sixty-yard dash on a slow track. Big time prospect, look for him to go off the board quick, potential to be a pro down the road.<

His twitter account shows him as a UConn commit. Right hand pitcher.

Zach Donahue (@zdonahue21) | Twitter

Zach Donahue - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Here's a scouting account from Prep Baseball Report from last year:

SOUTH WINDSOR VS AVON SCOUTING NOTES - 5/27/16
By Trevor Brown
Co-Director of Scouting

Zachary Donahue, RHP, South Windsor, 2019
Scouting Report:
Only a freshman was very impressive with his start against Avon. He throws strikes, throwing a 4seam fastball at 78-80 MPH, a 2-seam fastball with good cut at 76 MPH, a tight slider at 70-71 MPH, and a curveball at 63-65 MPH. He had command of his offspeed throwing them for first pitch strikes, but sometimes lost command of his fastball. He got himself in a jam, but did not lose composure at all. He battled through it and got out of it without letting up a run. I liked his slider the best and can see it being a very good strikeout pitch. With him only being a freshman he has a lot of time to develop to become a dominate pitcher.

Prep Baseball Report > Massachusetts > News

Cohen's battle inspiring Indian Hills baseball

Perhaps the saga of Ryan Radue's cancer story helped influence the decision to commit to UConn.
Cohen signed yesterday during the official signing window. As both of my kids play in the rec baseball program in town, we've met his family during the fundraisers that took place a few year back when he was sick. Great to see how he battled through and the support he had from his family.

Fall Signing Day, 2018: N.J. baseball players commit to college ball
  • Indian Hills, Josh Cohen, RHP, Connecticut
Coach Hill has a good program at Hills. The best player in the class of 2018 went to V Tech. The other high school is the district has a kid going to Mississippi St. Some good baseball.

There's a second local player going to UConn, too, Sam Favieri, a RHP from Ridgewood. 'Wood is a Lax town, they send usually 4 of so boys and 4 or girls to D1 programs each year. A baseball D1 recruit is unusual for them.

Last edited:
As expected: Wilbur Cross’ Marrero signs NLI to play baseball at UConn

>>Andrew Marrero has been on UConn’s radar for some time. He verbally committed two years ago, months before he was to being his sophomore season at Wilbur Cross. He never wavered in his commitment since and signed a national letter of intent at the high school Thursday to make it official: Marrero will play baseball for the Huskies.<<

>>Marrero is the first recruit for Penders to play for one of the city schools in New Haven.<<

>>“He’s got a very good fastball and an explosive slider. Look at his strikeouts last year, 94 in 52 innings, and only 18 walks. He’s a workhorse, he has a rubber arm.<<

Chris Brown - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Trumbull High SS Chris Brown - HS c/o 2019.
Prep Baseball Report recently got around to adding Chris Brown to their list of UConn recruits, they also have this comment on him:

>A right-handed hitting middle infielder. The top tool is his ability to swing the bat. Runs well for a bigger player, shows to have very good athletic ability. Look for him to hit and hit with power, may have to make a move to the outfield at some point.<

Prep Baseball Report - Player: Chris Brown

From what I have seen over the last few years, December through April is usually a very slow time for announcing baseball recruiting commitments. As such, it would seem to be a good time to post a summary of future UConn baseball recruiting commitments that have been posted in this recruiting thread:

2020 season

Gavin Kee - OF/C/1B
Tyler Griggs - 3B/2B
Chris Brown - 3B
Todd Petersen - 3B/SS

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP
Zach Donahue - RHP
Sam Favieri - RHP
Patrick Gallagher - RHP
Joshua Cohen - RHP
Reggie Crawford - LHP

2021 season

David Christoforo - 1B/C
Phoenix Billings - SS
Bryan Padilla - SS

Joe Wozny - RHP
Saar Rosa - RHP
Brendan O’Donnell - LHP/1B
Adrian Siravo - RHP

2022 season

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF

From what I have seen over the last few years, December through April is usually a very slow time for announcing baseball recruiting commitments. As such, it would seem to be a good time to post a summary of future UConn baseball recruiting commitments that have been posted in this recruiting thread:

2020 season

Gavin Kee - OF/C/1B
Tyler Griggs - 3B/2B
Chris Brown - 3B
Todd Petersen - 3B/SS

Andrew Marrero - RHP
Max Nielsen - LHP
Zach Donahue - RHP
Sam Favieri - RHP
Patrick Gallagher - RHP
Joshua Cohen - RHP
Reggie Crawford - LHP

2021 season

David Christoforo - 1B/C
Phoenix Billings - SS
Bryan Padilla - SS

Joe Wozny - RHP
Saar Rosa - RHP
Brendan O’Donnell - LHP/1B
Adrian Siravo - RHP

2022 season

Matthew Garbowski - C/OF
On the 2021 season I believe you left out that outfielder from New Hampshire. I don't remember his name, but I remember his coach referring him as a 5 tool player.

On the 2021 season I believe you left out that outfielder from New Hampshire. I don't remember his name, but I remember his coach referring him as a 5 tool player.
I believe you are thinking of Adrian Siravo, who is listed.

I believe you are thinking of Adrian Siravo, who is listed.
It is Adrian Siravo, who I have listed as a pitcher since that is how the recruiting websites tend to list him. Of course, for me trying to list some players by their positions is kind of like trying to read tea leaves.

Yeah, my bad. A few pages back, I remember reading that a 5 tool position player from New Hampshire committed.
Earlier on this page a pitcher from NH commuted. I thought we had 2 players from NH.
I didn't realize they were one and the same.
Anyways, he sounds like a great prospect. Hope MLB doesn't get him first.