Barstool Sports 2017-18 American Athletic Conference Basketball Preview | The Boneyard

Barstool Sports 2017-18 American Athletic Conference Basketball Preview

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Barstool Sports

Preseason AAC Player of the Year: Landry Shamet, Wichita State

I’m going to bank on Shamet coming back healthy and not having a lingering foot problem here. He’s one of the best point guards in the country this year and is going to have a huge year. Shamet averaged over 11 a game last year but really broke out against Kentucky in the Round of 32 when he dropped 20. He can beat you in a variety of ways as he can really shoot the ball and take you off the bounce. I’m a huge fan of his game.

Preseason AAC Freshman of the Year: Alterique Gilbert, UConn

I mean he’s technically able to win this again and it’s a pretty weak freshmen class in the conference. There are a bunch of good newcomers in terms of transfers, but the incoming class is not great. So we’ll go with Gilbert, who looked the part last year before having a season-ending injury. He was averaging over 10 per game in the three games he played in last year. You hope his shooting improved as he shot just 22% from the 3-point line during that time.

Preseason AAC Coach of the Year: Gregg Marshall, Wichita State

I’m going to give Marshall the slight edge here because I’m picking Wichita to win the conference. Marshall will have to deal with the injuries that were mentioned above and I think you see him really thrive in the bigger conference. He’s an excellent in-game coach and always seems to get the most out of the guys on the roster. He’s been able to up his recruiting effort lately and even more talent is coming to WSU.

Picks us 6th behind WSU, Cinci, SMU, UCF, Temple

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
He actually said that in 2014 there was a mutiny and the players revolted against Ollie.

I've never heard that anywhere. Irresponsible "journalism" to put that out there.

And I'm not one to quickly defend KO but that's an absurd statement.

Reaction Score
This guy is a UK grad who always likes to take his shots at uconn. His takes on college bball are horrible too, there's a reason why they will never hire him fulltime.

Reaction Score
He actually said that in 2014 there was a mutiny and the players revolted against Ollie.

I've never heard that anywhere. Irresponsible "journalism" to put that out there.

And I'm not one to quickly defend KO but that's an absurd statement.

You're taking barstool too seriously if that statement really annoys you. It's their shtick.

Reaction Score
After seeing them against PC I think it's right on the money.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You're taking barstool too seriously if that statement really annoys you. It's their shtick.

Barstool or not, I'd venture his college hoops articles get a lot more pageviews than a lot of traditional outlets.

Just a bizarre thing to throw out there.

Reaction Score
I don't get the UCF hype.

Agree, I don't think people are taking the graduation of Williams seriously enough. 130 or something close 3's, 39% and 15 points/5/2. His shooting opened things up for Taylor and Tacko, maybe they have a replacement on the perimeter? Otherwise they will be "dangerous" at best.

Reaction Score
I don't get the point of doing a preview of anything when you have a limited understanding of the topic. Its understandable to be unacquainted with the AAC. But then don't write a preview. And this criticism isn't limited to Barstool by any stretch. I swear to God @BLUEDOGHOUSE would become the 2nd most informed MCBB journalist if he started tomorrow.

Throwing in Gilbert's 3 point % after 2.5 games reminds me of being in elementary school having to write one of those formulaic 5 paragraph papers and desperately searching for a 3rd supporting argument in order to length the essay. Side note - why the hell would you teach anyone to write like that?

Wordbomar

"Walker on McGee with four.."
Reaction Score
Reags is my least favorite from barstool. Huge Kentucky homer and doesn’t know outside of what the casual fan knows about major conference teams. Guy prob just watches Espn for his info

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
He's a Kentucky fan that lives in Cincinnati. Doesn't deserve the click.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't get the UCF hype.

Or Temple in this case. They're well coached and never an easy W, but I don't see an reason to expect more from them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom