Barret Jackson | The Boneyard

Barret Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I tried to go to the article but got a "Awww Snap cannot display webpage". However, I do watch Mecum when it's on. The title said Auction Sells Out? Very hard to believe. People look at the cars prior and decide they will buy it if the price is right. However all cars? If it is true, that is truly amazing. Mecum here in Harrisburg last 3 days.

Reaction Score
I tried to go to the article but got a "Awww Snap cannot display webpage". However, I do watch Mecum when it's on. The title said Auction Sells Out? Very hard to believe. People look at the cars prior and decide they will buy it if the price is right. However all cars? If it is true, that is truly amazing. Mecum here in Harrisburg last 3 days.

tickets sold out, not the cars as far as I know.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
tickets sold out, not the cars as far as I know.
Thank you, my bad. Working in the yard fixing my flagpole and planting a few shrubs in this heat got to me. Thanks for the reply, makes more sense.

Bliss

Mizzou Ballyhoo
Reaction Score
If I really wanted to bid on one of the rides I'd do it on the first auction day because that's when the "cheaper" vehicles cross the block. Some of these are outstanding. Based opon what I've seen, I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

Reaction Score
One of the last cars, a '70 black Bentley went for just 15,600 would've been all over that one.

Had tix but a family issue keep me from going, looked like fun!

Reaction Score
If I really wanted to bid on one of the rides I'd do it on the first auction day because that's when the "cheaper" vehicles cross the block. Some of these are outstanding. Based opon what I've seen, I've paid a lot more for a lot less.

You can find really cool and unique daily drivers and modern cars on day one for most auctions. Things like Corrado's, 90s Cobra Mustangs, mid 00's GTO's, etc. They're the most practical day to buy imo. Most of the cars that sell for a ton of money on Friday/Saturday night aren't even that nice when you get up next to them.

Reaction Score
I bet BJ Northeast will now be an annual stop for BJ like their AZ and FL auctions.
Ill definitely go in '17.

Reaction Score
I bet BJ Northeast will now be an annual stop for BJ like their AZ and FL auctions.
Ill definitely go in '17.

They have a 5 year contract, so yes they will be here for the foreseeable future

Reaction Score
You can find really cool and unique daily drivers and modern cars on day one for most auctions. Things like Corrado's, 90s Cobra Mustangs, mid 00's GTO's, etc. They're the most practical day to buy imo. Most of the cars that sell for a ton of money on Friday/Saturday night aren't even that nice when you get up next to them.

Depends on the auction house - go to a Bomhams auction that's paired to a concours and you won't say that.

Reaction Score
Depends on the auction house - go to a Bomhams auction that's paired to a concours and you won't say that.

I've never been to a Bomhams, but I've been to many many car auctions and most of the cars are junk. You'll see a few nice cars, but even the "renowned" restorers are hacks. Overspray & bondo are rampant at these things.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
What position does Barret play, what class is he in, and does his mom like KO?
I want to know what is composite rank is and how does he look on advanced metrics.

Reaction Score
I've never been to a Bomhams, but I've been to many many car auctions and most of the cars are junk. You'll see a few nice cars, but even the "renowned" restorers are hacks. Overspray & bondo are rampant at these things.

yes, the first two words I associated with the docket on Saturday were bondo and overspray :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
They have a 5 year contract, so yes they will be here for the foreseeable future

Thanks, I did not know that.
Great to hear, I will plan ahead and will definitely attend in '17.

Reaction Score

If you haven't been to a Bonhams and the like you've not been to any real high dollar auctions Mecims and BJ are on the lower to middle tier of the auction spectrum - they peddle American "classics" for the most part. Big dollars and amazing cars are at RM, Gooding & Co and Bonhams - it's where you'll find the best iron and prices to match. I'll bet those three house have sold the vast majority of the top 20 cars highest grossing cars at auction of all time. If I recall correctly a Ferrari 250 did $35 million at A Bonhams auction. I think a Nart Ferrari sold at RM for like $28 million. Spending $100k on a car isn't a big deal for people that really collect. That price point doesn't sniff good stuff.

Even with Mecum and BJ I'm not sure you're bonds and over spray observations accurately depict the majority of offerings. If you're at a co-part or local auction that's a different story

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you haven't been to a Bonhams and the like you've not been to any real high dollar auctions Mecims and BJ are on the lower to middle tier of the auction spectrum - they peddle American "classics" for the most part. Big dollars and amazing cars are at RM, Gooding & Co and Bonhams - it's where you'll find the best iron and prices to match. I'll bet those three house have sold the vast majority of the top 20 cars highest grossing cars at auction of all time. If I recall correctly a Ferrari 250 did $35 million at A Bonhams auction. I think a Nart Ferrari sold at RM for like $28 million. Spending $100k on a car isn't a big deal for people that really collect. That price point doesn't sniff good stuff.

Even with Mecum and BJ I'm not sure you're bonds and over spray observations accurately depict the majority of offerings. If you're at a co-part or local auction that's a different story

I've been to Barret Jackson in Florida & Arizona multiple times and there are usually a handful of well restored cars and that's it. The cars were much nicer 10 years ago than they are now. There are so many incorrect pieces and shoddy workmanship if you know what you're looking at. My family has been restoring cars longer than I've been alive so it's not like I'm clueless

Reaction Score
Go to better auctions is all I can tell you - high end auctions will not have the issues you describe.

People will put into the market what the market will tolerate - you're resto business should then be easily able to differentiate itself and command much high prices at gavel or private sale. That's good for you.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
One of the last cars, a '70 black Bentley went for just 15,600 would've been all over that one.

Had tix but a family issue keep me from going, looked like fun!
That Bentley sounds familiar. Thought I saw the same on Mecum when they were in Florida. I agree, I would of been all over it myself. How times have changed. When I was a kid you couldn't afford to even look at it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
I've been to Barret Jackson in Florida & Arizona multiple times and there are usually a handful of well restored cars and that's it. The cars were much nicer 10 years ago than they are now. There are so many incorrect pieces and shoddy workmanship if you know what you're looking at. My family has been restoring cars longer than I've been alive so it's not like I'm clueless
I agree. I am also in the restoring business as a hobby. Spotted knock off wheels at a car show yesterday. They looked like they just came out of the box. Everyone was ooooohing and ahhhhhing. Now the wheel style was correct but not original. I research for months until I find the right part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom