OT: - baroque composers | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: baroque composers

Reaction Score
I enjoy everyone mentioned. My favorite is Bach. Piano played by Glen Gould, flute by Rampal or Galway. I also like Telemann.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Bach or Vivaldi, but I hear that other guy has a great Handel. Sorry

Reaction Score
Of course there's this old one:

Sign on a music store front door: Out to lunch, Bach in an hour...Offenbach sooner.

Reaction Score
To paraphrase a song from the 1960's folk revival period, "Don't Let the Puns Come Down." ;)

All I can say on the topic at hand is "Ah, Bach!"

Reaction Score
Is Bohemian Rhapsody baroque pop?

Senior Lecturer in English at UCL and Queen fan Matthew Beaumont says: "The architecture of Bohemian Rhapsody - and it is an architecture - is self-consciously, ostentatiously baroque.Jun 15, 2011

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Is Bohemian Rhapsody baroque pop?

Senior Lecturer in English at UCL and Queen fan Matthew Beaumont says: "The architecture of Bohemian Rhapsody - and it is an architecture - is self-consciously, ostentatiously baroque.Jun 15, 2011

Well, if it's ba-roque I didn't ba-reak it.

Reaction Score
Like several others, I enjoy everyone that's been mentioned. I also have a great liking for some who've been - to my mind, conspicuously - overlooked, particularly Jean Philippe Rameau and Henry Purcell.

Reaction Score
Like several others, I enjoy everyone that's been mentioned. I also have a great liking for some who've been - to my mind, conspicuously - overlooked, particularly Jean Philippe Rameau and Henry Purcell.
The French and English tend to get ignored because of the dominance of Italy during the period and the overwhelming Genius of Bach.

Reaction Score
I vote for Turlough O'Carolan, Ireland's unofficial national composer. The blind Irish harpist travelled the country composing and performing during the Baroque period.

"Born in 1670 on a farm in Nobber, County Meath, at a time when Ireland was still suffering the reverberations of Oliver Cromwell’s “To Hell or Connaught” land confiscations, the family moved, first to Carrig-on-Shannon in County Leitrim, and then, in 1684, to Ballyfarnon, a village in what is now Northern Roscommon. His father, Hugh, found employment on the estate of the McDermott Roes, a leading Irish family of the old Gaelic order who, despite being Catholic, had managed to retain substantial landholding...At 18, O’Carolan was stricken with smallpox and nearly died. He survived, but the disease left him permanently blind."

O'Carolan's Concerto

O’Carolan’s name in Irish is Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin. Here’s an excellent article on his life and works from the National Library of Ireland: Turlough O'Carolan.

(P.S.: I’ll be in Dublin on vacation in two weeks. I’ll have to look up O’Carolan.)

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Way back in '85...My orchestra performed a concert version in Carnegie Hall of Handel'a English Opera/Oratorio hybrid Semele.

It was one of the great Baroque events of the decade...amazing singing: Kathy Battle's coming out party, Samuel Ramey, Marilyn Horne...among many other wonderful singers, conducted by John Nelson

Almost as much fun as the perf is listening to the insanely enthusiastic sold-out audience....clapping and cheering

For those of you with the patience, its on YouTube, great playing by the Orchestra of St. Luke's, great singing, amazing music by Handel...One amazing creation after another.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
O’Carolan’s name in Irish is Toirdhealbhach Ó Cearbhalláin. Here’s an excellent article on his life and works from the National Library of Ireland: Turlough O'Carolan.

(P.S.: I’ll be in Dublin on vacation in two weeks. I’ll have to look up O’Carolan.)
I visited his grave in Keadue Co. Roscommon a couple of decades ago. There’s a nice little park there; not much else.

Another baroque composer I like is Pietro Locatelli. I don’t know much about him, but I have some discs of hit concerti grossi. William Boyce might be more rococo than baroque, but I really like some of his stuff, too. I think most of Boyce’s known music is choral; I don’t think much of Locatelli’s music survives at all.

As with others, I think JS Bach is in a class all his own

Reaction Score
J. S. Bach was a great fan of Buxtehude, and walked 250 miles as a young man of 20 to meet him and hear him play.
I already mentioned that in an earlier post, although my memory is that it was more like 100 miles. The distance doesn’t matter; the fact that he stayed long enough to be profoundly influenced is much more important. Buxtehude’s extant sacred works have all been recorded and released in a massive 10 volume set that is a must for true fans of the middle Baroque. One can hear easily what influenced Bach.

Reaction Score
I visited his grave in Keadue Co. Roscommon a couple of decades ago. There’s a nice little park there; not much else.

Another baroque composer I like is Pietro Locatelli. I don’t know much about him, but I have some discs of hit concerti grossi. William Boyce might be more rococo than baroque, but I really like some of his stuff, too. I think most of Boyce’s known music is choral; I don’t think much of Locatelli’s music survives at all.

As with others, I think JS Bach is in a class all his own
If you like Locatelli, try Biber on for size. His Mystery Sonatas are all scordatura and incredibly interesting.

Reaction Score
Anna Vidovic. Playing Bach. Sublime. 18 minutes, enjoy. If you've never seen this young woman play guitar, you are in for a treat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom