OT: - baroque composers | The Boneyard

OT: baroque composers

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Gotta love Vivaldi. I've enjoyed some of the not quite as well known composers from that era like Albinoni and Corelli. Those Italian dudes seemed to know what they were doing.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
After those big three, Telemann, Monteverdi, and LeClaire. Some Spohr. Listening to some Galilei can be eye opening and jarring though.

Reaction Score
I vote for Turlough O'Carolan, Ireland's unofficial national composer. The blind Irish harpist travelled the country composing and performing during the Baroque period.

"Born in 1670 on a farm in Nobber, County Meath, at a time when Ireland was still suffering the reverberations of Oliver Cromwell’s “To Hell or Connaught” land confiscations, the family moved, first to Carrig-on-Shannon in County Leitrim, and then, in 1684, to Ballyfarnon, a village in what is now Northern Roscommon. His father, Hugh, found employment on the estate of the McDermott Roes, a leading Irish family of the old Gaelic order who, despite being Catholic, had managed to retain substantial landholding...At 18, O’Carolan was stricken with smallpox and nearly died. He survived, but the disease left him permanently blind."

O'Carolan's Concerto

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Beautiful nature scenes included
:43 South Falls at Silver Falls State Park, OR
1:12 Merced River and Half Dome, Yosemite NP, CA
3:06 Tipsoo Lake near Chinook Pass, Mt. Rainier NP, WA

Do I win anything?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
That's a decent version. Too often the arrangement is too slow.
That's true of a lot of orchestras that play Baroque music. Which was why in the early 70's when certain orchestras started playing this music on original instruments and played the pieces at quicker paces it was so revelatory. Though slow tempi aren't limited to conductors of Baroque music only.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Where is the sympathy for broke music composers?

Oh, Baroque. Nevermind. (Apologies to Emily Littella)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think that we all will go with the "usual suspects" Back, Vivaldi, Handel, Scarlatti, and maybe Wiess.

Here is a decent sampler....

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Oh and OP probably was going to cave in and go with a popular music topic but then he decide to just go for Baroque.

Reaction Score
:43 South Falls at Silver Falls State Park, OR
1:12 Merced River and Half Dome, Yosemite NP, CA
3:06 Tipsoo Lake near Chinook Pass, Mt. Rainier NP, WA

Do I win anything?
Instant admiration.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Bach. And more Bach. On the Organ. With a bit of Handel.

I don't often get to listen to music but do have a number of CD's (including a full set of Bach's Organ Works.

I like Baroque music in general but have never branched out because there is a lot of Bach - and a lot of non-Baroque organ music, which I like as well.

Reaction Score
Wondering who are your favorite Baroque composers. I enjoy Bach, Handel and Vilvaldi.
Bach, because you can can never completely comprehend his genius. Your enjoyment never ceases to grow. His music gets deeper and more awe inspiring as you explore it and learn more about it.
For example, when Bach is first encountered, most listeners do not like his passion music. Eventually, many (most?) come to regard it as his best work. (It reminds me of how much I disliked my first taste of scotch whiskey and what happened after I started to savor it.)

Reaction Score
Bach, because you can can never completely comprehend his genius. Your enjoyment never ceases to grow. His music gets deeper and more awe inspiring as you explore it and learn more about it.
For example, when Bach is first encountered, most listeners do not like his passion music. Eventually, many (most?) come to regard it as his best work. (It reminds me of how much I disliked my first taste of scotch whiskey and what happened after I started to savor it.)
The timeline to Bach is fascinating. It starts with Gabrieli and the “concertato” style, moves on to Schutz (Gabrieli was his teacher), on to Buxtehude (influenced greatly by Schutz) and on to Bach, who famously walked 100 miles to hear Buxtehude’s unpublished sacred music. Any real Bach lover should tread that path. Fortunately, plenty of recordings are available (I have too many!)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom