Barnes to the other UT? | The Boneyard

Barnes to the other UT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
When will these schools stop giving re-tread coaches jobs instead of giving up and coming coaches from other programs or rising talent assistants a shot? Does anyone really think Barnes is the long-term answer at Tennessee. Imagine what a monster Texas would be with Shaka Smart as coach?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Rick Barnes wasn't considered a success at Texas because he never really took them deep into the tourney on a consistent basis.

But he did go to 16 NCAA tourneys in 17 years and he won more NCAA tourney games at UT than they had managed to win in their entire existence before he arrived - and he's honest.

For a school like Tennessee who consistently hires trainwrecks, Barnes is almost too good to be true.

Reaction Score
“@JonRothstein: BREAKING: VCU's Shaka Smart is in discussions with Texas about its head coaching vacancy”

Reaction Score
Rick Barnes wasn't considered a success at Texas because he never really took them deep into the tourney on a consistent basis.

But he did go to 16 NCAA tourneys in 17 years and he won more NCAA tourney games at UT than they had managed to win in their entire existence before he arrived - and he's honest.

For a school like Tennessee who consistently hires trainwrecks, Barnes is almost too good to be true.

Yeah, you have to figure that Barnes having nothing in common with Pearl/Tyndall was a huge appeal for them.

Reaction Score
tcf15 said:
“@JonRothstein: BREAKING: VCU's Shaka Smart is in discussions with Texas about its head coaching vacancy”

Yikes.

Reaction Score
I read that Steve Patterson had told Barnes they were bringing him back but he had to make changes in his staff. The assistants offered to quit but he wouldn't fire them.

Reaction Score
I read that Steve Patterson had told Barnes they were bringing him back but he had to make changes in his staff. The assistants offered to quit but he wouldn't fire them.

I read this as well, but I don't remember where.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

This is a no-brainer.

I know Gregg Marshall's stock is high right now, but he's McDermott 2.0. Give him big bucks and a big contract and in four years, he'll be rich and you'll be firing him.

Smart's the right play.

Reaction Score
Good for him to stand up for his staff.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I read this as well, but I don't remember where.

Probably everywhere.

Rick Barnes spoke about it as well as expressing his disappointment that UT leaked the story to the press last week.

If there's a reason Smart opts not to take the Texas job, it's because Steve Patterson has a reputation as a dishonest weasel.

Reaction Score

This could launch some of our VCU recruiting misses back into play, no?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
When will these schools stop giving re-tread coaches jobs instead of giving up and coming coaches from other programs or rising talent assistants a shot? Does anyone really think Barnes is the long-term answer at Tennessee. Imagine what a monster Texas would be with Shaka Smart as coach?
In fairness to the Vols, they did just that with Cuonzo Martin a few years back and he skipped town at the first opportunity.

Reaction Score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky