Bard as a Starter | The Boneyard

Bard as a Starter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do any of the resident Sox fans have any insight into the thinking on this ? I've been wondering this all winter.

Its usually not a move any team makes because guys end up in relief for a reason. They only tried him for a single season in the minor leagues as a starter and he was a disaster. They moved him to relief and he thrived.

I just don't understand the basis upon which to think that a 2 pitch pitcher with no history of success as a starter who has never thrown more than 77 innings as a pro can translate to the starting rotation. Even if he is good, which is unlikely, the most he could do is start like 20 games, assuming they are willing to exceed the usual 30 inning increase and assuming he averages 6 innings per game.

Any ideas ?

Reaction Score
I'm no Sox fan but here is a good read on Bard. It worked out well for CJ Wilson, Justin Masterson and Alex Ogando.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2011/12/5/2612418/what-we-might-know-about-daniel-bard-as-a-starter
Eh. A lot of speculation there. Not to mention that I don't think a professional sports franchise makes that kind of decision based on something like "the rule of 17". I also find it rather dubious that his horrific time as a starter was because of mechanics that magically improved that much. If that were the case, its pretty likely the Sox would have tried him as a starter before now. Bard's third pitch, his changeup is below average.

None of that, however, speaks to the fact that he'll max out at no more than 120 innings this year. That's a significant issue trying to get through 162 games.

Reaction Score
I'm no Sox fan but here is a good read on Bard. It worked out well for CJ Wilson, Justin Masterson and Alex Ogando.

http://www.overthemonster.com/2011/12/5/2612418/what-we-might-know-about-daniel-bard-as-a-starter
Thanks for the link, it was a good read.

I'm somewhat skeptical on Bard as a starter. I hope I'm wrong. He was terrible in the minors but as the article points out there were other factors. What worries me the most is that Bard is pretty skinny and he needs a live fastball to be effective. What the Sox don't need is another started that can't get past the 5th inning.

For what it is worth, the Sox really blew it when they traded Masterson. His delivery was so smooth he looks like he can pitch forever.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Looking like the experiment is coming to an end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom