Bamba time! | The Boneyard

Bamba time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow could we use him huh? I know it's a long shot but if he could step in with guys like AG, JA, CV and TL (amongst the other kids)surrounding him he could have a fun freshman year I do believe.

Come on Mr Bamba change the course of our bigs recruiting - please?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
See, this is something we have definitely talked about in the past, and it's a touchy subject. I recall @aceboon saying I had an "agenda" regarding our big man recruiting, but last nights game actually brought some other posters to bring the topic up again.

UConn can return to "UConn basketball" in two ways: recruit bigs that come in with a true skillset right away (these guys tend to get drafted early so this enters the top 25/one and done game) or raw, athletic bigs who actually develop and improve year by year to become major players nationally by the time they are upperclassmen. Under KO we have had neither of these two things. What we are currently doing is bringing in raw, athletic big men but they aren't on the upward trajectory needed to compete for final fours or chanpionships, hell we can't even win the American regular season yet. Our front court was just significantly out-rebounded by Wagner, let that sink in for a minute. Look at the front courts the teams competing for titles each year are rolling out, how are we supposed to compete with that with our current system of developing the front court???

One big thing holding most fans back from accepting this reality was the unexpected title in 2014. The memory of that "magic" is still fresh, and many seem to think it's something that can be, and has, been bottled by the coaching staff in Storrs, but looking at the situation from a purely logical and statistical view makes that seem very unlikely. 2014, and even 2011, were quite literally carried by transcendent players. The way Napier was shooting in the tournament that year was other-worldly, guys that hot from that range simply cannot be stopped at the college level. Yet unless Ollie can show that he can BRING IN and develop a Napier or Walker of his own, this strategy can't be relied on. I know, this thinking that Napier wasn't KO's player is hard to buy as UConn fans because we know how involved KO was throughout both guys' development throughout their whole careers but it has some merit. Anyway...

I love the guards and wings KO has been prioritizing on th recruiting trail, and it's true that in today's game an All-American guard is more valuable than an AA big man. Yet at the college level, having a reliable defensive and offensive presence from your front court provides an invaluable anchor on those nights when your backcourts shots just aren't falling, or when they aren't reliable finishers (something else we suffer from).

I stand by my point that Ollie needs to bolster the front court right now, even if the 2017 class is basically wrapped up now. Guys like Durham are steps in the right direction but his lack of strength still makes him a project with a top ranking based largely on his potential for improvement down the line, as evidenced by the fact that he wasn't on any NBA radars for a freshman, he was still seen as a project albeit an elite one.

Reaction Score
Wow could we use him huh? I know it's a long shot but if he could step in with guys like AG, JA, CV and TL (amongst the other kids)surrounding him he could have a fun freshman year I do believe.

Come on Mr Bamba change the course of our bigs recruiting - please?

Bamba would be nice, but at this point I'd settle for a 6'-8", 6'-9" kid with some bulk and average basketball skills. Every team we face seems to have one, even Wagner.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
See, this is something we have definitely talked about in the past, and it's a touchy subject. I recall @aceboon saying I had an "agenda" regarding our big man recruiting, but last nights game actually brought some other posters to bring the topic up again.

UConn can return to "UConn basketball" in two ways: recruit bigs that come in with a true skillset right away (these guys tend to get drafted early so this enters the top 25/one and done game) or raw, athletic bigs who actually develop and improve year by year to become major players nationally by the time they are upperclassmen. Under KO we have had neither of these two things. What we are currently doing is bringing in raw, athletic big men but they aren't on the upward trajectory needed to compete for final fours or chanpionships, hell we can't even win the American regular season yet. Our front court was just significantly out-rebounded by Wagner, let that sink in for a minute. Look at the front courts the teams competing for titles each year are rolling out, how are we supposed to compete with that with our current system of developing the front court???

One big thing holding most fans back from accepting this reality was the unexpected title in 2014. The memory of that "magic" is still fresh, and many seem to think it's something that can be, and has, been bottled by the coaching staff in Storrs, but looking at the situation from a purely logical and statistical view makes that seem very unlikely. 2014, and even 2011, were quite literally carried by transcendent players. The way Napier was shooting in the tournament that year was other-worldly, guys that hot from that range simply cannot be stopped at the college level. Yet unless Ollie can show that he can BRING IN and develop a Napier or Walker of his own, this strategy can't be relied on. I know, this thinking that Napier wasn't KO's player is hard to buy as UConn fans because we know how involved KO was throughout both guys' development throughout their whole careers but it has some merit. Anyway...

I love the guards and wings KO has been prioritizing on th recruiting trail, and it's true that in today's game an All-American guard is more valuable than an AA big man. Yet at the college level, having a reliable defensive and offensive presence from your front court provides an invaluable anchor on those nights when your backcourts shots just aren't falling, or when they aren't reliable finishers (something else we suffer from).

I stand by my point that Ollie needs to bolster the front court right now, even if the 2017 class is basically wrapped up now. Guys like Durham are steps in the right direction but his lack of strength still makes him a project with a top ranking based largely on his potential for improvement down the line, as evidenced by the fact that he wasn't on any NBA radars for a freshman, he was still seen as a project albeit an elite one.

If Ollie can keep what we got and recruit a junior college player big, we will be fine.
One of our problems has been that Brimah has always been billed better than he plays.

Reaction Score
Bamba would be nice, but at this point I'd settle for a 6'-8", 6'-9" kid with some bulk and average basketball skills. Every team we face seems to have one, even Wagner.

That's the big thing. It seems like every team we play has a 4 or 5 that would start on our team. That shouldn't be happening.

Reaction Score
We seem to have a problem getting a big who can rebound and score in the paint and a QB who can actually pass.

Reaction Score
UConn can return to "UConn basketball" in two ways: recruit bigs that come in with a true skillset right away (these guys tend to get drafted early so this enters the top 25/one and done game) or raw, athletic bigs who actually develop and improve year by year to become major players nationally by the time they are upperclassmen. Under KO we have had neither of these two things. What we are currently doing is bringing in raw, athletic big men but they aren't on the upward trajectory needed to compete for final fours or chanpionships, hell we can't even win the American regular season yet.

While I agree and liked your point I think this part can be qualified, at least recently. Enoch and seemingly Durham were 'good gets' for UConn. I think with these two the staff has something to work with, and if they are capable development coaches can turn these two rocks into diamonds. At least to the point of making them All Conference First team to start. Sadly Facey had high school credentials (even if new to bball) but seemed to underperform and lacks confidence.

I just wonder who is working with our bigs and the effect of practicing against mediocre teammates can lead to some bad or misleading developments. If anything our bigs seem to be soft, and thankfully we are not in the old Big East. We need some mean with a semblance of talent over skilled finesse ready big men.

Hell I'd take an enforcer type big right now over a one and done. Hard fouls, 'protect our house' and dish out pain and misery. We simply don't intimidate (not talking blocks), instill fear/respect and certainly don't merit defensive attention (gameplan) from opponents with our bigs.

Seeing that big from Wagner bleeding made me long for the Emeka's, Adrien's, Saunders' types. Guys that would not be bullied and actually fought back. Guys that were hungry and have something to prove. Even Chuck O., Thabeet, Nelson (thanks Jaker) with all their limitations, had heart and toughness. As far as recruiting if I were a parent of a skilled NBA 'prepped' big kid I would not be enthusiatic of a UConn offer for my son. Guards and Wings I would be overjoyed. But as for Bigs we lately just haven't produced NBA ready products.

Just saying (and agreeing) to me its more the coaches than the kids. Change the way our bigs play, demanding toughness and if they don't deliver bench them until they do. Div 1 basketball has no room for coddling or accepting mediocrity, especially with players who have marginal/good talent.

Reaction Score
After just losing to Wagner at home can't imagine we've become any more attractive to Bamba. He ain't coming here.

Reaction Score
Bamba is a long shot at best so I wouldn't get my hopes up. But yeah, I agree it would be nice to get a big guy that can play instead of the projects we've been getting. Projects are nice as your 12th or 13th guy and they play if they develop, which happens infrequently. Unfortunately UConn's projects have to play because they haven't had anything better the last few years.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If you were a big man, 4/5 star guy, ask yourself this: "Why would I go to UConn and have no chance at developing?"

Yep. Let's not sign with these guys.

C

Chief00

If you were a big man, 4/5 star guy, ask yourself this: "Why would I go to UConn and have no chance at developing?"

I agree, the elephant in the room is the Big coaching - it not only impacts development but also recruiting. A tour of facilities is nice - but it's really about who will make me a better player, win some games and get me in the league.

C

Chief00

I agree, the elephant in the room is the Big coaching - it not only impacts development but also recruiting. A tour of facilities is nice - but it's really about who will make me a better player, win some games and get me in the league.

Reaction Score

"Big mans coach"is an ant, the elephant is the big who hasn't gotten any better in 3 plus years, it's a huge problem. Actually worst after year 2 - again you guys are so hilarious, even if they didn't have a "bigs" coach how can you explain how awful the guy is? And if you can't then you know how stupid the persistent banter about a big mans coach is, it's ridiculous and annoying.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Diarra didn't play a second in the game yesterday. He is clearly bait to get Diallo. He's Mike LeBlanc to Diallo's Jake Voskuhl.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
LeBlanc was the more highly rated one.
Yes, it just worked out that Jake was the much more valuable player. Although Jake did come to start from the very beginning of his freshman year, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom