OT: - Baker Dunleavy Resigns from Quinnipiac | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Baker Dunleavy Resigns from Quinnipiac

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Put me in the camp had RE stayed after Fiesta Bowl and continued to make bowl games almost every year, UConn fans would have been perfectly fine supporting football and going to games in the fall just to ease their way in to basketball season.
But he didn't. He left soon after declaring he would be at UConn "for as long as you'll have me." He didn't have to say that, words mean something.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac's endowment is closer to UConn's than it should be. Not sure if that says more about Quinnipiac or UConn.
Private schools have always been focused on fundraising and the endowment because they don’t have the state to help them financially. UConn was late to developing an effective fundraising arm and strategy which is why the endowment is where it is today.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac's endowment is closer to UConn's than it should be. Not sure if that says more about Quinnipiac or UConn.

UConn only started taking its endowment seriously when the state stopped funding the school at near 100%. It why the UConn endowment is so low.

Reaction Score
UConn only started taking its endowment seriously when the state stopped funding the school at near 100%. It why the UConn endowment is so low.
When did the state ever fund the school at near 100%? It may have been close to 50 but never near 100. UConn did get a late start in the fund raising arena though.

Reaction Score
The stereotype is that Quinnipiac is where all the rich kids from out of state go who couldn't get into Wesleyan or Yale. Couldn't tell you if it's accurate or not, but that's what kids say.
My daughter went to QU. I live in ct and not rich. However, there are a lot of rich kids from Long Island and Jersey that go to QU. She received an excellent education and got a job immediately as a nurse in the surgical unit

Reaction Score
My daughter went to QU. I live in ct and not rich. However, there are a lot of rich kids from Long Island and Jersey that go to QU. She received an excellent education and got a job immediately as a nurse in the surgical unit

My wife adjuncted a couple extra classes at QU a few years ago when she was finishing her PhD. It's a really lovely school.

I think schools like QU are generally not doing very well because it's hard to justify the cost when the state schools are so much cheaper. Which is really kind of a bummer because they're really nice schools and the faculty are usually focused on teaching well vs research.

Reaction Score
Quinnipiac has $$$ boosters?
The Lenders family, as in the bagel company they sold, are among Quinnipiac's boosters. Plenty of not the brightest Joisey and Long Island Quinnipiac applicants in the 1960s, '70s, '80s, '90s, and '00s may have been from fairly well to do backgrounds or been successful in following years.

Reaction Score
I thought they had a great start to the season? What happened?

Reaction Score
Tom Pecora taking over as head coach? What a strange decision. The Quinnipiac website already has him listed as "Men's Basketball Head Coach" so apparently it's not interim, but he's 65 years old, was pretty decent at Hofstra, but failed hard at Fordham. At his age you don't expect to see a program that's trying to build make that choice-he's not coming in with Rick Pitino's reputation.

Reaction Score
I'd hazard a guess that the type of student going to QU is not even applying to Wesleyan or Yale, and the kids that really come from money are able to buy their way into a better school.
NFW many Quinnipiac applicants aspire to gain admission to Yale, or even to Wesleyan. Highly enthusiastic for most Quinnipiac applicants, but it's a back up for some hoping to get into privates BU, Tufts, American University, publics UConn, UMass, UVM, and the lesser Syracuse. More practical QU comparisons, Clark, Bentley, Bryant, and other similarly pricey private schools. Quinnipiac, not a bad school for allied health students.

wheelerdog

#OneForTheThumb
Reaction Score
It's a very good school

Reaction Score
My wife adjuncted a couple extra classes at QU a few years ago when she was finishing her PhD. It's a really lovely school.

I think schools like QU are generally not doing very well because it's hard to justify the cost when the state schools are so much cheaper. Which is really kind of a bummer because they're really nice schools and the faculty are usually focused on teaching well vs research.
My daughter was down to URI and QU. She received a nice merit scholarship from QU and that was the deciding factor. While being in the nursing program she had to maintain a 3.5. Thank goodness she did.

Reaction Score
The stereotype is that Quinnipiac is where all the rich kids from out of state go who couldn't get into Wesleyan or Yale. Couldn't tell you if it's accurate or not, but that's what kids say.
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
My wife’s coworker’s daughter picked QU over UConn pre-Covid (we’re south of Boston). She would have gone to UConn but QU was actually cheaper than UConn out of state after the aid packages were factored in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom