OT: - Badminton | The Boneyard

OT: Badminton

Reaction Score
Watching it on Olympic coverage but it ocurred to me there's a mint in the word and we all still call it "bad mitten". Also just saw handball. Thought that was wall ball with a hand glove on a court but no it's a combo of basketball and hockey. There's some weird and wild stuff going on, Youtube tv tapes it all for you.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
6524631E-8335-4C4D-8347-ED38978E8413.png

Reaction Score
John McEnroe's first Grand Slam title was the 1977 French Open mixed doubles title with childhood friend Mary Carillo.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Watching it on Olympic coverage but it ocurred to me there's a mint in the word and we all still call it "bad mitten". Also just saw handball.

Yep, there's a "hand" in the word, and we all still call it "hanball." You can't make this stuff up.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I’m calling BS on the 200 mph thing.

A 96 mph fastball traveling 60’ looks like a GD laser beam.

If that shuttlecock was really going 200 mph, no one would ever hit one and it would routinely end up lodged in someone’s orbital socket.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

If that shuttlecock was really going 200 mph, no one would ever hit one and it would routinely end up lodged in someone’s orbital socket.

Probably similar to race car drivers feeling massive number if G's when they crash. It people ably travels for 200moh for a fraction of a second and it quickly loses speed and momentum.

Reaction Score
Watching it on Olympic coverage but it ocurred to me there's a mint in the word and we all still call it "bad mitten". Also just saw handball. Thought that was wall ball with a hand glove on a court but no it's a combo of basketball and hockey. There's some weird and wild stuff going on, Youtube tv tapes it all for you.
I knew a foreign exchange student from Germany. He talked about handball like we do about basketball or baseball. Its a big thing over there, sort of like cricket in India or rugby in Australia.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I knew a foreign exchange student from Germany. He talked about handball like we do about basketball or baseball. Its a big thing over there, sort of like cricket in India or rugby in Australia.

Love watching some handball, especially Women's handball. Sounds weird to type that and probably weird to read that.

Big northern European sport.

Reaction Score

Classic rant, stick to at least a minute and a half if you haven't seen it before.

Never saw this rant before.

So solve the problem. Cut down the tree. Cut it into pieces.

Then sell it for firewood, and sell those footballs, basketballs, and hockey sticks on Ebay or on Nextdoor.com for your area, where others sell household items.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
My father went to Paris and was drinking in a hotel lobby bar. He asked the bar tender if they could put on some baseball or basketball and the bar tender told him: "It's soccer or handball over here."

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
John McEnroe's first Grand Slam title was the 1977 French Open mixed doubles title with childhood friend Mary Carillo.
And his first pro singles title came at a tournament played in the Hartford Armory.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Classic rant, stick to at least a minute and a half if you haven't seen it before.

Epic.

My friends and I were convinced by another friend to go to East San Jose and play badminton in a large weekly “open“ type event. We expected the version she describes. We got something more like the Olympic version and were utterly destroyed by people 6-8” shorter than us. In backyard badminton, height is an advantage. Not really for them, speed and court coverage ruled.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Badminton played inside with real equipment is a lot of fun.

Reaction Score

I think it probably goes that fast for a split second and then slows down a ton by the time it gets to the other side of the net.

Reaction Score
Damn.

Badminton is very popular in Asia. It takes huge amount of athletic ability and hand eye coordination to play the sport. You have to be super fast, agile, and have huge jumping abilities. It is like volleyball mixed with tennis with ping pong.

Really wish this sport is more popular in the USA since you don't need a huge court to play vs tennis or volleyball. You just need a small court and 2 people with rackets. You can burn a ton of calories since you are constantly moving.

At highest level, it helps to be tall and agile too. Both Chinese players in this video are like 6'4" each that can jump.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Badminton is very popular in Asia. It takes huge amount of athletic ability and hand eye coordination to play the sport. You have to be super fast, agile, and have huge jumping abilities. It is like volleyball mixed with tennis with ping pong.

Really wish this sport is more popular in the USA since you don't need a huge court to play vs tennis or volleyball. You just need a small court and 2 people with rackets. You can burn a ton of calories since you are constantly moving.

At highest level, it helps to be tall and agile too. Both Chinese players in this video are like 6'4" each that can jump.

Indeed we were the only non Asians at that place in San Jose. Our friend Hang is from China. Didn’t see many tall people there like that team from China, more like the Chew brothers. Those smashes from the back, that I recall. We too often tried to do that up close, like volleyball, and it’s hard to avoid net fouls. Eye opening.

Reaction Score
Indeed we were the only non Asians at that place in San Jose. Our friend Hang is from China. Didn’t see many tall people there like that team from China, more like the Chew brothers. Those smashes from the back, that I recall. We too often tried to do that up close, like volleyball, and it’s hard to avoid net fouls. Eye opening.
If you ask people in Asia about American football most will just give you that puzzled blind look. Most people worldwide don't get American football. Badminton is much easier to explain.

I play a ton of tennis now and volleyball during my younger days. Recently, I also started playing pickleball which is also a lot of fun. Pickleball is kind of like Badminton as well. Badminton takes a lot less space than tennis and volleyball, and it is easier on your body especially when you get older. You just need 2 people, and it can be a great workout if you are at a higher level. While you don't have to be super tall, but you need to have great timing and great hand eye coordination. As you get to higher levels, it helps to be tall since you are smashing the shuttlecock down from the back. It is also a great social sport like tennis.

Really wish they promote this more in this country since it is much less injury prone vs. sports like football and basketball. Like I said, you just need 2 people to play and a small court. It is also very easy to explain to someone how to play. It is also far cheaper to set up this sport vs. many others.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
'Really wish they promote this more in this country since it is much less injury prone vs. sports like football and basketball.'
crowd_al1-420x0.jpg

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score

She's great!!

Reaction Score
fantastic rallies going on in mixed doubles table tennis TPE vs JPN

Reaction Score
'Really wish they promote this more in this country since it is much less injury prone vs. sports like football and basketball.'
crowd_al1-420x0.jpg
If you market the game enough, it will be become popular. Media can make some players popular if they spending enough time marketing it. Badminton is a fun game, and people can pick it up easily.

This board cares about TV ratings. The world is much bigger than just USA even though some people can't fathom that.

Look at badminton champship TV ratings in China back in 2016. Ratings equal $$$$$$$$ just like college football.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom