Badass Of The Game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Badass Of The Game

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
COME ON !!!!!!!!!! If you are going to "Officially" give out the Boneyard BADASS Player of the Game Award, please give it to someone who truly deserves it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Not intended to bash anyone, but really !!!! - BOO !!!!!!!)
This thread is a joke You will see the real BA award this is a parody of the real BA award and pretty funny. too bad you missed the joke.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
First let me say I don't have a problem with Aubrey getting the BA award. But I do have an open question for all of the BY'ers out there: just what exactly does Paige need to do to be considered a BA? Is she a victim of her own success, i.e. so what, she's supposed to do that every game. Do you realize we haven't seen anything like this since DT

Maybe if she "Broke a sweat" she would get one (See the video of her question to Geno). LOL

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
ONO is our most feared player. That is why she is double or triple teamed most games. If ONO had single coverage, she would drop 30 every night. Meghan Culmo has exhorted several times this year that ONO should have a "field day". Yeah Paige is good, but not as feared by opponents as ONO is, eh?
No. I can't speak to how much other teams "fear" Olivia since I'm not on their coaching staff nor in their players' heads. . She's double and triple teamed to stop her from scoring, yes, but also because teams have decided to collapse on the post since our outside shooting has been suspect all season. Aside from today, starting Liyah (an experiment Geno was not pleased with), we start 1 center and 4 guards.

So how do you beat a team with 4 guards that struggles from shooting deep? Pack the post and prevent them from getting easy baskets. Paige is the best player on the team and it's not remotely close. Eh?

Reaction Score
No. I can't speak to how much other teams "fear" Olivia since I'm not on their coaching staff nor in their players' heads. . She's double and triple teamed to stop her from scoring, yes, but also because teams have decided to collapse on the post since our outside shooting has been suspect all season. Aside from today, starting Liyah (an experiment Geno was not pleased with), we start 1 center and 4 guards.

So how do you beat a team with 4 guards that struggles from shooting deep? Pack the post and prevent them from getting easy baskets. Paige is the best player on the team and it's not remotely close. Eh?
Is Paige one of those four guards that struggle from shooting deep? If so, then I m not sure I understand your logic, eh? When you mention 'easy baskets', would that be ONO doing the easy scoring?

Reaction Score
Is Paige one of those four guards that struggle from shooting deep? If so, then I m not sure I understand your logic, eh? When you mention 'easy baskets', would that be ONO doing the easy scoring?
Paige is just a few games in but its already her team and she can beat you many ways. Notice who Geno leaves on the floor most of the game even though there are plenty of guards on the team.

Reaction Score
Paige dominated the first three quarters, she definitely was the Big Dog tonight. I appreciate the little things that she does too such as quickly providing help defense when needed. Didn't realize she could shoot so well, but she is a killer. No disrespect to Aubrey, but it was Paige's tonight.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eh? What are you going on about? Seriously when you make some sense I will try to reply. Till then, yikes.

Reaction Score
Eh? What are you going on about? Seriously when you make some sense I will try to reply. Till then, yikes.
OK I'll simplify. ONO is being double or triple teamed almost every game. The opposition thinks that is their best chance to win. Paige is not being doubled. Does that tell you anything? ONO is the player they need to stop to win.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OK I'll simplify. ONO is being double or triple teamed almost every game. The opposition thinks that is their best chance to win. Paige is not being doubled. Does that tell you anything? ONO is the player they need to stop to win.
It sure does tell me something! It tells me that UCONN is a poor 3-point shooting team so pack the defense in the post to try to limit touches there and force UCONN to try to beat you from the outside. And before you go on about how Paige is a great 3 point shooter, she is. And she's the only one. Even Geno said this is the worst shooting team he's had in 30 years, and hyperbole aside, he isn't too far off.

And by the way, it's pretty hard to double and triple team a guard out on the perimeter. It's easy if you apply the full court press, or trap the guard either close to the sideline, or if the pick up their dribble just over half court. So I don't get your point that ONO is double and triple teamed as proof of what you are going on about.

Side note, I watched Iowa's Caitlin Clark play today against top 25 Northwestern. Clark scored 8 points and fouled out and was never double teamed that I could see unless she picked up her dribble in an awkward spot on the floor.

Frankly I'm surprised you are confused - this is one of the most basic ways to beat a team that lacks 3-point prowess. But I'm even more surprised that you keep arguing that Paige is not the best player on the team.

Why don't you start a poll "who is the best player on the team" and see how many agree with you that it's ONO? Maybe that would help clarify things for you?

Maybe you are confused because you think I'm somehow saying ONO is not important - IMHO she may be the most important position player on the team since she's the only center/forward who starts, but she's nowhere near the best player on the team. That honor goes to Paige.

Reaction Score
The fact is, we have way too many weapons, 3 point or otherwise, for a team to try and double or triple team on the perimeter. And part of those weapons is the ability of Bueckers, along with Makurat, Westbrook and I would include Muhl, to pass the ball. Another would be that in Williams, Westbrook, and Muhl, we have a trio of ball handlers who prefer to take the ball to the basket and you are further opening up the floor for them. An elite team may try it but I doubt it, regardless, it would become a layup drill against the vast majority of teams Uconn plays. Ono is double and triple teamed because of the nature of her position, nothing more, nothing less.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Thankfully, most people (Like us in here) can see it for what it is meant to be, kidding around - NOTHING ELSE!
I think most people (like us in here) have a frickin' sense of humor.

Reaction Score
It sure does tell me something! It tells me that UCONN is a poor 3-point shooting team so pack the defense in the post to try to limit touches there and force UCONN to try to beat you from the outside. And before you go on about how Paige is a great 3 point shooter, she is. And she's the only one. Even Geno said this is the worst shooting team he's had in 30 years, and hyperbole aside, he isn't too far off.
I seldom agree with what jingo says so I am not arguing the point about Liv. For me I'm not concerned who is best - I do KNOW though that Paige is a beast - I'm with you. :)

But UCONN is not a poor 3pt poor shooting team if you exclude Paige. The other 3 are 31-92 from 3pt range. That's an EFG% of 50.54%. Take away other teams top 3pt shooter too and their efg% will suffer a bit too. Compared to some other years - yes it's poor - but overall 50.54% is not poor from players 2-4 considering they take quite a few 3's. It's just bad vs what we've seen from some teams in the past. Geno is going to say and do what he needs to do to in order demand more,- and this lineup is capable of much more. But his comments this year of shooting are all about hyperbole.

I do think they can be had on a given night from poor shooting vs a very good team (I can't imagine them losing more that 1 reg season game this year). But that is random. A team can throw a box-and-one or triangle-or-two - or sag as you say - and on that random night -they miss. Heck, anyone can miss on a random night. Look at the 2002 finals UCONN played vs Oklahoma. DT and See Bird missed every one of their 3pointers and it's not like many were contested much. Sometimes you are going to miss. That's why balance is so important. :)

Reaction Score
The fact is, we have way too many weapons, 3 point or otherwise, for a team to try and double or triple team on the perimeter. And part of those weapons is the ability of Bueckers, along with Makurat, Westbrook and I would include Muhl, to pass the ball. Another would be that in Williams, Westbrook, and Muhl, we have a trio of ball handlers who prefer to take the ball to the basket and you are further opening up the floor for them. An elite team may try it but I doubt it, regardless, it would become a layup drill against the vast majority of teams Uconn plays. Ono is double and triple teamed because of the nature of her position, nothing more, nothing less.
ONO is double&triple teamed bcuz, as Meghan Culmo sez, she would have a "field day" against UConn's opponent(s), eh? With single coverage, ONO would drop 30 points per game. All this, notwithstanding her immense talent on defense as a rim protector.

Reaction Score
EricLA says
it's pretty hard to double and triple team a guard out on the perimeter.
A box-and-one is one way to double-team a guard on the perimeter.
A triangle-and-two is one way to triple-team a guard out on the perimeter, eh?

Reaction Score
There's been talk about who is the best player on the team. But you can't compare Bob Cousy[Paige] to Bill Russell[ONO] because they play different positions and contribute to the teams success in ways the other couldn't.
With single coverage, I think Paige and/or ONO could drop 30 points a game. ONO has the edge on defense and will probly fare better at the next level, the WNBA.
We're lucky to have both of them!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
There's been talk about who is the best player on the team. But you can't compare Bob Cousy[Paige] to Bill Russell[ONO] because they play different positions and contribute to the teams success in ways the other couldn't.
With single coverage, I think Paige and/or ONO could drop 30 points a game. ONO has the edge on defense and will probly fare better at the next level, the WNBA.
We're lucky to have both of them!
Until ONO learns to stop bring the ball down, she will get eaten alive in the W.

Reaction Score
Until ONO learns to stop bring the ball down, she will get eaten alive in the W.
I don't think Meghan Culmo agrees with you. She has mentioned more than once that Liv is capable of having a "field day" with single coverage, eh?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I don't think Meghan Culmo agrees with you. She has mentioned more than once that Liv is capable of having a "field day" with single coverage, eh?
Meg is talking college, I'm talking about what you stated about her play in the "W" as in WNBA.

"ONO has the edge on defense and will probly fare better at the next level, the WNBA." If she brings the ball down like she does now, she will not last long in the W, period.

Reaction Score
ONO is double&triple teamed bcuz, as Meghan Culmo sez, she would have a "field day" against UConn's opponent(s), eh? With single coverage, ONO would drop 30 points per game. All this, notwithstanding her immense talent on defense as a rim protector.
Luckily, I don’t need Meghan Culmo to make up my mind for me; she is certainly entitled to her opinion but it is just that, her opinion. I am not sure if you really believe what you post or just have fun with your comments but frankly, you kind of lost me when you insisted Aubrey would lead the team in scoring last year. Your view of Ono is not quite as out of left field but it is in the ballpark. She is a fine player with some very definite holes in her game.

Reaction Score
Luckily, I don’t need Meghan Culmo to make up my mind for me; she is certainly entitled to her opinion but it is just that, her opinion. I am not sure if you really believe what you post or just have fun with your comments but frankly, you kind of lost me when you insisted Aubrey would lead the team in scoring last year. Your view of Ono is not quite as out of left field but it is in the ballpark. She is a fine player with some very definite holes in her game.

Reaction Score
Yeah the Boneyard is a lot of fun .. I saw Aubrey play in high school where she was phenomenal from inside and outside, hence my prediction .. MW was our top scorer last year and I still think Aubrey is better but for some reason, probly confidence, Aubrey is unable to display all of her talents.
Same with Nika, this year, who so far cannot get untracked.
Yes we all have our opinions: you, me and Meghan - that's where the fun is, eh?

Big Mick

The all knowing Mick
Reaction Score
Because who else would have the guts to do this? Gotta LOVE Jamelle Elliot!

@Kabitzer invented this award. And it has even received a nod from Geno and DT.

Sooooo - it is poor form for anyone else to start a topic using "Badass" in the title.

Reaction Score
She should be having field days all the time against the teams they played. Double teamed or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom