Badass Award for LSU Game goes to. . . | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Badass Award for LSU Game goes to. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Kia would be my bet.
I watched the FIBA Worlds and the Olympics, can someone explain to me why Kia Nurse is such an offensive force for the Canadian Senior National team, but has such a hard time on offense at Connecticut? IMHO, she's just trying way too hard. She doesn't need to replace Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck, all by herself. She is a skilled offensive player with a better than average jump shot and the ability to get to the cup on almost any defender.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I watched the FIBA Worlds and the Olympics, can someone explain to me why Kia Nurse is such an offensive force for the Canadian Senior National team, but has such a hard time on offense at Connecticut? IMHO, she's just trying way too hard. She doesn't need to replace Breanna Stewart, Moriah Jefferson and Morgan Tuck, all by herself. She is a skilled offensive player with a better than average jump shot and the ability to get to the cup on almost any defender.
Different rules, different refs, different system, different teammates, different coach, different expectations. Everyone is struggling with some things this year and Kia is the same - but the coaches seem pretty happy with her since she is only sitting five minutes each game.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
15 points, 4/8, 3/7 on treys, 4/4 on freebies, 8 assists. Some might consider that "stepping up". And Kia is tough as nails. When she shot 4/16 against Baylor, you could not tell by her "comportment" that she was frustrated or upset. She just continued playing hardass ball, which is what she always does, taking her shots when open just as if she had just hit six in a row, and playing tenacious defense. As Kia's daddy said, she is one nasty piece of goods. I am really glad she is on our side. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't give much credence to this award thing,

qckcp.jpg

Kibs is gonna go medieval on your arse. :eek:

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
Different rules, different refs, different system, different teammates, different coach, different expectations. Everyone is struggling with some things this year and Kia is the same - but the coaches seem pretty happy with her since she is only sitting five minutes each game.
I believe it's more the different expectations than anything else...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I believe it's more the different expectations than anything else...
I think last year she really struggled early with the change from very physical international games to the much more delicate US college games - she was like a bull in a china shop for the first couple of weeks and getting whistled a lot. That aspect of the change-over seems to be going better this year, but still can't be easy. She probably really enjoyed the LSU game! :eek:

And this transition for her will continue all for years - Canada will be playing in the qualification tournaments for the WC this coming summer as they did prior to Kia's sophomore year.

Reaction Score
An important component of the "badass" is diving on the floor for a loose ball. While we all know (or think we know) that Geno greatly values this kind of effort, I have a different view: each time it happens I hold my breath that someones head, knee, arm has not been landed upon and an injury incurred. It really is not football or rugby and there are no pads. As an example Lou was shaking her right hand several times after one such dive upon the floor, and I did not feel relieved until she sank both free throws. So, exciting to watch and admire for their toughness but do not believe it is ultimately worth the risk. But again, have to admire the "no fear" mind set of our ladies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This used to be true, but the women's game is now standardized on the size 6 ball for HS, College, WNBA, and International - the official manufactures vary for the various pro, NCAA, and Fiba competitions but the specifications are the same.

The only competition for adults that has a different ball is the new 3X3 competitions - they use the same ball for men and women, but it is a hybrid - circumference of a 6 but weight of a 7.

Reaction Score
Yes, Kia Nurse. Kia had a good game yesterday, I will give her that. If Lou hadn't stepped up like she did, UConn would have loss. At the start of the season all the players knew they would have to step up, and Kia knew that she would have to play point guard as well as shooting guard. Also, Kia knew Geno was looking to her for leadership, because she have the experience with leading Canada's Olympic team. Geno had a meeting with Kia about her performance and her leadership, and Kia told Geno she didn't want to be the leader. Saniya and Tierney are seniors, but Kia is a junior with the experience.

LOL! Really? She can lead the Canadian National Team but refuses to be a leader at UCONN. This is precious. Please cite your source as I evidently overlooked the article in which this meeting with Kia was addressed.

BTW, I wonder how many points Lou had off of Kia's eight assists. This is a team effort but somehow we're making it about individual play. Oh well, to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom