Bad Times at Central | The Boneyard

Bad Times at Central

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Change In The Wind For Central Athletics With Recommendations To Cut Teams, Scholarships

Not sure how the most obvious cut didn’t end up as an option.

I think the end game for schools like Central is going to be no athletics program. It’s going to take some time to get there but the costs are high, there is no return and it has zero to do with their academic mission.

They did this without an AD - which is amazing in it’s own right.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I agree. All the state publics bar Uconn shouldn't have sports as they are commuter schools. It would save a lot of money and it's not like Central is getting a lot of notoriety for its sports.

pj

Reaction Score
I agree too. Schools like Central should focus on intramural and club/division III athletics.

Reaction Score
Why any school would actually have golf scholarships is beyond my comprehension. What a foolish waste of money. Might as well have ping pong scholarships.

True. You could say the same about Women's basketball for 99% of the schools though and probably most of the football and men's basketball programs out there.

Reaction Score
Why any school would actually have golf scholarships is beyond my comprehension. What a foolish waste of money. Might as well have ping pong scholarships.
Not hard to understand. If you want to be competitive in any sport, you offer scholarships. Central was on its way to improving what has always been a very competitive program and had just hired a talented new coach, Kyle Gallo, about a year ago. Years ago they cut wrestling and tennis, men's swimming. Those programs had been successful as well.

Whether you understand or not, athletics are very important to any school's mission. I'm sure UConn offers golf scholarships as well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
True. You could say the same about Women's basketball for 99% of the schools though and probably most of the football and men's basketball programs out there.

Except that you can play basketball in the Northeast during the the academic year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not hard to understand. If you want to be competitive in any sport, you offer scholarships. Central was on its way to improving what has always been a very competitive program and had just hired a talented new coach, Kyle Gallo, about a year ago. Years ago they cut wrestling and tennis, men's swimming. Those programs had been successful as well.

Whether you understand or not, athletics are very important to any school's mission. I'm sure UConn offers golf scholarships as well.

They do today. That’s the first thing gone.

Giving golfers a scholarship to spend half the spring semester in South Carolina and Florida adds about as much to UConn’s academic mission as nickel night or flipping over cars in X Lot.

Central or UConn spending money so a handful of kids can play golf on the state’s dime is so far beyond stupid it’s incredible.

If an equipment manufacturer isn’t willing to fully fund the golf program why would taxpayers.

Golf teams where you can’t play golf until April. You can’t make it up.

Reaction Score

"athletics"- IMO golf doesn't qualify. Why not have bowling scholarships too? It would probably draw more fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They do today. That’s the first thing gone.

Giving golfers a scholarship to spend half the spring semester in South Carolina and Florida adds about as much to UConn’s academic mission as nickel night or flipping over cars in X Lot.

Central or UConn spending money so a handful of kids can play golf on the state’s dime is so far beyond stupid it’s incredible.

If an equipment manufacturer isn’t willing to fully fund the golf program why would taxpayers.

Golf teams where you can’t play golf until April. You can’t make it up.
First of all, as someone who played on the golf team at UConn...

2. They had no scholarships when I was there, I'm sure they do today, but I believe at least some of them are endowed.

3. The golf season has two parts, fall and spring, so it's more than just a one month season as you imply.

4. Why draw the line at golf? Beyond hoops, do you think any sports at UConn are moneymakers?? The 4 or 5 golf scholarships pale in comparison to the # of soccer, field hockey, etc scholarships that are given for sports that lost a hell of a lot more money than golf does.

But this is the Boneyard, why would I expect anyone to bring facts to an argument here??

Last edited by a moderator:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Why have a student rec center? The university experience means different things to different people. Athletics is as much a part of the enrollment equation as Greek life, dorms, and every other non-academic expense.

It's also free advertising and a demonstration of overall university commitment to excellence. Why do you think so many schools play sports.
Would you attend one that didn't, not even D3 or club?

And the state U schools are no longer just commuters. There is an argument thst theu should all be under the UConn umbrella line the Penn State system with Storrs as the main campus but even PSU Bolesberg has sports.

Reaction Score
I was told by someone once that women's golf scholarships are the most unused scholarships in the country. I'm not sure if this is true or if he was just goofing with me but if you have a daughter who can swing a club it wouldn't hurt to research it.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Why have a student rec center? The university experience means different things to different people. Athletics is as much a part of the enrollment equation as Greek life, dorms, and every other non-academic expense.

It's also free advertising and a demonstration of overall university commitment to excellence. Why do you think so many schools play sports.

And the state U schools are no longer just commuters. There is an argument thst theu should all be under the UConn umbrella line the Penn State system with Storrs as the main campus but even PSU Bolesberg has sports.
It's free advertising for D-1 schools who play major football or make the NCAA tournament every once in a while. Central falls in neither category, and most kids that go to Central either are Uconn fans or don't care about college sports.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree. All the state publics bar Uconn shouldn't have sports as they are commuter schools. It would save a lot of money and it's not like Central is getting a lot of notoriety for its sports.
The sad thing is that half the schools in the AAC have a similar commuter to resident profile as Central and Southern.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
The sad thing is that half the schools in the AAC have a similar commuter to resident profile as Central and Southern.
Which is reason #57 why we hate this place.

Reaction Score
football n Basketball should be independent. The other sports should be regional. Going to Texas to play field hockey against SMU makes no sense from the academic and financial point of view

Reaction Score
Gives some kids, who need it, a chance to get a free education, which is't all bad.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

LOL at ‘Free’ ‘Advertising’ The golf team is neither free nor advertising. Unless you think tomorrow’s scholars are reading the agate on page c7 of the Monday Courant.

No non athlete has gone to a CSU because they sponsor sports.

Athletic facilities that are open to the student body? You actually hit on something that would make sense and would further the academic mission. Instead they build palaces for .1% of the population.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I was told by someone once that women's golf scholarships are the most unused scholarships in the country. I'm not sure if this is true or if he was just goofing with me but if you have a daughter who can swing a club it wouldn't hurt to research it.

He would have to mean least competitive - but that’s not even close to the truth anymore.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Gives some kids, who need it, a chance to get a free education, which is't all bad.
Pretty sure most kids that play college golf come from well off households if you think about it. They don't need it, and even if they did, life isn't fair.

Reaction Score
"athletics"- IMO golf doesn't qualify. Why not have bowling scholarships too? It would probably draw more fans.
Believe it or not, women's bowling is an NCAA Division 1 sport and teams offer scholarships.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom