Bad news, Stewie graduated...all hope is lost..Part 1 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Bad news, Stewie graduated...all hope is lost..Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
UC

When I first broached my Geno Olympic theory at the time (before the season had begun), there was a howl of indignation...Ice came around after a while.
I would not underestimate the importance of the physical presence of coaches during the summer.
They might not be allowed to run scrimmages, but their office door is rarely locked and they are permitted to watch the kids, even w/o
formal interaction...In addition theres is not the stress and aftermath of getting over a a first-time, must-win, legacy situ.

And the key was Geno's words himself...He professed unease with finding the best manner to communicate with the freshman class (which he spoke about on camera; I'm sure the episodes are preserved somewhere and can be found...He had no answers for Stewie's
collapse; finally saying that she'd have to break out of it by herself. (very un-Geno speak).

I am convinced that the team's struggles with Notre Dame, had as much to do with the inadequate preparation of that season as the South Bend team's expertise.
We can agree to disagree, but the coaches were around for most of the first summer session and the freshman were off with USA basketball for August with the U18 in 2012. The struggles with the whole freshman team were the result of playing during the season to my way of thinking. Stewart started on fire, but just wasn't prepared for the physicality and the lack of success she learned the college game. Morgan was pretty steady throughout and Moriah struggled most of her freshman year.
The ND struggles started two years earlier at the FF and had snowballed the year before the three arrived so I don't think the continuation of the struggles through the season was related to how the team prepared.

Reaction Score
I don't think I'm going to worry too much about this season. After 2002, we lost Sue, Swin. Asjha and Tamika, and all they did was win the national championship the next year. Granted, they still had Diana, but not too much else (Turner and Strother were just freshmen). This year's team has more really good players on the roster than 2002-2003 did (IMO). Go Huskies!:)

THAT TEAM
AND THE NEXT WERE ALL D!

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I hearken back to the picture last summer of the kids on campus with Kevin DeMille(sp?). It was so strange not to see Stewie et al. in the picture. Recall that, compared with this time a year ago, five players have gone and five new players have arrived. That seems relatively high for UConn, even factoring in some special circumstances.

I predict Geno will be happy and relaxed at the start of the year. I think deep down he is looking forward to the challenge of molding a young, talented team without a dominant player and competing against the rest of the country. I expect this to be a fun year.

Reaction Score
I hearken back to the picture last summer of the kids on campus with Kevin DeMille(sp?). It was so strange not to see Stewie et al. in the picture. Recall that, compared with this time a year ago, five players have gone and five new players have arrived. That seems relatively high for UConn, even factoring in some special circumstances.

I predict Geno will be happy and relaxed at the start of the year. I think deep down he is looking forward to the challenge of molding a young, talented team without a dominant player and competing against the rest of the country. I expect this to be a fun year.
Agree, no undefeated, no NC expeditions Geno life is much easier.
And we can watch normal women basketball games without blowout.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

Relaxed!!! Impossible. He'll keep the inner beast in check for a time, then, if he sees the possibility of greatness, the real Geno will surface.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom