Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD] | The Boneyard

Bad news: Positive Covid Test- Team to Pause Activities [MERGED THREAD]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Alexa Philippou

@alexaphilippou

·

Per UConn, team activities will remain on hold for at least 14 days. Their first four games of the season are now wiped out
Quote Tweet

Alexa Philippou

@alexaphilippou
· 2m
BREAKING: UConn WBB has temporarily suspended team activities after a member of the program tested positive for COVID-19

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
floevans.gif

Reaction Score
Sadly, this may only be the beginning of a sad set of events for the entire NCAA Men's and Women's Basketball Season, unless they ALL go play under some sort of a Bubble Set Up with Student Athletes taking all of their courses "remotely" with Team Only Practices, until game time, with strict testing. Otherwise, I fear that there will be a boat load of more postponements, down the line, in the weeks and months to come.

Reaction Score
I knew this was going to happen. Looking at the players social media they were always out and about.

Reaction Score
Rough. I think this is to be expected of this season. We'll probably see more high profile teams test positive as COVID continues to spike. This is your daily PSA to please wear a darn mask and socially distance so that we can beat this pandemic.

Reaction Score
In terms of significant games this is pretty major. We have a pretty limited number of games that would be in doubt, and just lost two of those in Louisville and probably Mississippi State. Pretty much means the final season ranking will depend on how we do against Baylor and South Carolina.

Reaction Score
Prayers for whomever it was that tested positive, that they don't develop a serious case, and that it remains an isolated case among the women's team community. Was really excited to see our returning Huskies and their new teammates on the floor on Saturday - but as with so much this year, that will have to wait.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I was at UConn 2 days ago. People are wearing their masks and socially distancing. Quite frankly the place was a ghost town. Basketball players cannot be socially distanced.

Sooner or later people will need to ask themselves what the end game is. Yes vaccines are coming and theraputics have been helpful. But is the goal to prevent anyone from ever getting COVID? Doesn't seem possible does it? Is it wise to keep testing perfectly young healthy low risk non symptomatic people? Taking away their once in a lifetime opportunities (school, graduation, prom, athletic opportunities, etc)? No easy answers although many pretend there are.
I know I've said this before, but clearly it bears repeating. THIS VIRUS IS NOT THE FLU. It is a nova, meaning new virus. One that has never been seen before. No one knows the long term effects of this new virus. Who knows if down the road whether those that have contracted this, asymptomatic or not, will develop lung disease, heart disease, brain disease, or other internal problems? The truth is a little vigilance now could be saving our society incredibly hefty health costs in the future.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This also affects the race to catch Pat Summit. Unless something similar happens to Stanford, Tara should expand her lead over Geno, probably to a point that no matter how well Uconn does next year, Tara is likely to take that lead into the 22/23 season. I don't expect Stanford to lose more than 7-8 games over the next two years.

HGN

Reaction Score
For us fans , this is cruel and unusual punishment. If this was the month of April I would think it's a joke. But unfortunately it's true.

I know the players are disappointed , while we fans are devastated. Hopefully , the team and coaches will pacify us with more practice footage or info......Something.

I was so looking forward to seeing them play this weekend.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I have been checking the UConn COVID tracking dashboard for months. UConn had been doing really well until a couple weeks ago when positive cases on campus jumped to 80+. Subsequently UConn issued a partial quarantine for 5 dormitories. The active number of cases is currently at 67. I had hoped that the surge in cases would spare WBB, but that was not to be.

Reaction Score
Damn, damn, damn. My first thoughts are with the players, coaches and staff to weather this out safely.

To me personally, its a crusher, the season starting was my light on the top of the hill.......its still there, but now there are a few more valleys for us to pass through along the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom