Bad news for Memphis/AAC | The Boneyard

Bad news for Memphis/AAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
i remember talk of him wanting to play pro , probably sign a deal overseas get paid.

Reaction Score
There's something I don't understand about how 'releases' work. I don't understand how the school can refuse to let him leave and go to school elsewhere.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like that this is the picture with the aricle:

austin-nichols-memphis-tran.jpg

I'm with you on this. If he doesn't want to play, what does Memphis have to gain by keeping him?
Didn't Phil Martelli do this some kid a while back?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There's something I don't understand about how 'releases' work. I don't understand how the school can refuse to let him leave and go to school elsewhere.

If a school does not release a scholarship athlete that athlete cannot accept a scholarship at another school, he would need to pay his own way if enrolled. The flipside of this is the school that he left cannot use that scholarship until they release the kid (so taking a hardline is not always easy to do). Also, the clock won't start on the year the kid needs to sit out until the scholarship has been released (basically the school can tie the kid up for an additional year).

Reaction Score

It's just another messed up rule by the NCAA.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/08/s...mit-athletes-options.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

"Coaches cannot fully prevent athletes like Lunt from transferring to any university they want. But if a coach does not grant an athlete a release, the player must forfeit any scholarship opportunity, pay his own way to the new university and sit out the next season"

Basically once you sign a letter of intent you are bound to the whim of the coach at the school. No matter what the rule says, this is going to look really bad for Memphis.

Reaction Score
I bet Pastner will do the right thing...still a damn shame for Memphis and the conference

Reaction Score
Hate to say it but Pastner danced with the devil and it may cost him his job. He took talent with baggage that other programs didn't want (i.e. Iverson and Woodson) and hired the dad of a few good recruits as a coach on his staff to land their commitments. I can't imagine that went over well in the locker room. When you add in the lack of tournament success the writing is on the wall.

Reaction Score
I think Nichols is a heluva player but I have noticed that against UConn, our team goes on runs when he is in. Something about him. He is kinda Selvie-like.

Reaction Score
Based on what is known so far about this situation, I am 100% on Memphis' side. You are free to transfer in April and May, but to try to transfer in late June/July when you are not only fully expected to be part of the team the following season but when the team has basically no chance to replace you is just wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom