BAD NEWS AND GOOD NEWS | Page 2 | The Boneyard

BAD NEWS AND GOOD NEWS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That Texans zone system is different than than the inside-out or outside in (there are various terminologies). That system Gibbs teaches is about the OL's all getting moving together horizontally and cutting down backside pursuit and creating lanes. He's been teaching it for years. It got John Elway two super bowls in his later years. It's essentially cut blocking - which is legal if you do it right, but Gibbs is on record teaching linemen to go for the knees. When defenders have their eyes and hands down to protect their legs, it's hard to make tackles. Inside out systems are different. I would bet that we're going to be using inside out stuff.
The "genius" GDL seemed to be doing a hybrid of the two schemes.

Reaction Score
The "genius" GDL seemed to be doing a hybrid of the two schemes.

Almost all teams implement some zone concepts. You just have to teach it well. It also makes it quite funny when NFL defenders are accusing opposing teams of being dirty for running a zone scheme when their team almost always runs it to some extent as well.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
React and get push. Foley and staff will have a handle on the React, Balis on the Push.

Offensive linemen: "Again, standard template but those guys have a lot of issues with their shoulders as well, so rotator cuff and scapular stability work, football position work. What I mean by that is bend-ability, mobility in their hips and ankles. So much of their success depends on how they bend and being able to be powerful in a bend position. Those are some things. We'll be more specific with them as well."

Reaction Score
You will be pleasantly surprised.
If that is the case how could it have gotten that far off the tracks what with the grand facility and everything that they had at their beck and call so to speak.

Reaction Score
If that is the case how could it have gotten that far off the tracks what with the grand facility and everything that they had at their beck and call so to speak.

Toxic fuel can kill the drive of the strongest man.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I'm pretty clearly optimistic here... good things brewing.

But I'll fully admit to being naively optimistic when P and GDL started here, too. They know more than most have forgotten about football! They know what it takes to succeed at the next level! Well, they also lost what it takes to teach kids at this level, and they weren't stringent with the strength training.

TL;DR : I'm a dope. And like being in a bad relationship, being with someone new makes me realize how much of an idiot I was before.

Reaction Score
What kind of question is that?
The facility doesn't work the players out.
These guys are using the equipment better than they were before. They are running more than before, eating better than they were before.
They are using that world class facility the way it was built to be used.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
These guys are using the equipment better than they were before. They are running more than before, eating better than they were before.
Maximizing potential - the biggest failure of P and GDL. I truly think our guys can do some awesome things with the right guys pushing them (in the right ways). Hell, *I* would run through a wall for Diaco!

Reaction Score
I hate zone blocking. With a passion. Very difficult scheme.
Yup. Bad unless you have exceptionally fast (mentally and physically) lineman. Takes the fight right out of them. You want physically, explosive lineman who understand what the objective is without hesitation. It also requires backs with great vision, reading and cutback capability. Zone blocking is great for a few select teams that can recruit the cream of the crop.

Reaction Score
My point without calling out Jerry Martin was Just a big WTF.

Reaction Score
My point without calling out Jerry Martin was Just a big WTF.
Props to JM, he is a big part of the program, but time catches everybody.
Hopefully he keeps doing what he loves, if you have ever seen him give a tour of the weight room you can tell he put a lot into the place.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Before anyone goes over a ledge keep in mind that calling a blocking scheme zone blocking is similar to calling a coverage scheme a zone defense. Unless each lineman is specifically responsible for the guy lined up across from him it is not a man blocking scheme. The are power versions of a zone system and there are finesse versions. I have also discovered recently (within the past couple of seasons) that there is a version of a zone blocking scheme that does not have the linemen block anyone. GDL taught that scheme.

Reaction Score
Before anyone goes over a ledge keep in mind that calling a blocking scheme zone blocking is similar to calling a coverage scheme a zone defense. Unless each lineman is specifically responsible for the guy lined up across from him it is not a man blocking scheme. The are power versions of a zone system and there are finesse versions. I have also discovered recently (within the past couple of seasons) that there is a version of a zone blocking scheme that does not have the linemen block anyone. GDL taught that scheme.
I'm still laughing!!

Reaction Score
Yup. Bad unless you have exceptionally fast (mentally and physically) lineman. Takes the fight right out of them. You want physically, explosive lineman who understand what the objective is without hesitation. It also requires backs with great vision, reading and cutback capability. Zone blocking is great for a few select teams that can recruit the cream of the crop.

Zone based blocking in offensive systems in division 1A are a lot more prevalent than you make them out to be. THe systems we used to run under Edsall are the minority. Players play fast mentally and physically when they are well prepared as individuals, as units within the team, and as a team as a whole. There is no unit on a team that is more important functioning as a group than as individuals than the OL. It takes a group that is physically prepared, mentally prepared and can communicate and get the job done under pressure of time and decision making in split seconds as a group. It's all preparation, then go out and do it.

Of course there are always talent differences that matter, but in American Athletic conference, I do not believe we are talent deficient to compete for a title.

Reaction Score
Zone based blocking in offensive systems in division 1A are a lot more prevalent than you make them out to be. THe systems we used to run under Edsall are the minority. Players play fast mentally and physically when they are well prepared as individuals, as units within the team, and as a team as a whole. There is no unit on a team that is more important functioning as a group than as individuals than the OL. It takes a group that is physically prepared, mentally prepared and can communicate and get the job done under pressure of time and decision making in split seconds as a group. It's all preparation, then go out and do it.

Of course there are always talent differences that matter, but in American Athletic conference, I do not believe we are talent deficient to compete for a title.

Good point on the relative talent. As has been noted by some here there are many fine cuts on what constitutes zone blocking. Intrinsically, there is some aspect of zone blocking in almost any scheme when adjustments occur before the snap. Assignments are realigned based on the defensive alignment shown, and adjustments are made in response to stunts that can be described as zone based. So, it is a matter of degree. If you see the scheme PGDL were pushing it was very much read on the fly based and you see that in the way the backs attacked the LOS by waiting and looking for holes to open often counter flow from the pistol. Clearly a static assignment based approach does not work in this day and age, but ad hoc on the fly offense does not work where the system requires faithful execution of undefined creativity in motion by O lineman. I'm sure Diaco will have the crew working well as a unit, and he already indicated he wants power football. Not worried about it.

Reaction Score
Good news: Our new OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking. Bad news: Our old OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking.

Here's some Alex Gibbs zone blocking. Watch the backside tackles and guards chop down the defenders. Ugly. This is legal, but it's ugly, cheap football. Watch at about the 2:45 spot or so and then watch the whole thing. Ugly IMNSHO

Here's a good clip if teaching inside zone right and left blocking. Howard University coach. He's got his lineman bringing the flippers. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53BKUwiBD58

Reaction Score
Good news: Our new OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking. Bad news: Our old OC has written book chapters on teaching inside zone blocking.

Here's some Alex Gibbs zone blocking. Watch the backside tackles and guards chop down the defenders. Ugly. This is legal, but it's ugly, cheap football. Watch at about the 2:45 spot or so and then watch the whole thing. Ugly IMNSHO

Here's a good clip if teaching inside zone right and left blocking. Howard University coach. He's got his lineman bringing the flippers. LOL.

This is a different slant on zone blocking than what the last OC was running. I hope this what the team will be running this season. I will never forget seeing our linemen standing and looking for somebody to block or letting a defender blow passed because that wasn't his guy to block. SMH!

Reaction Score

1:50-2:10 +/- was a cheap shot by the left guard. The center was engaged with the DT, and the LG dove at his legs.

I hope that's not what our guys are learning, you can end careers doing that, and that's definitely not legal.

The best line in that (paraphrasing)

"We don't block corners, we block safeties. We don't block corners, we make them tackle 'cause they are as sh---y tacklers in our league as they are in yours." LMAO

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1:50-2:10 +/- was a cheap shot by the left guard. The center was engaged with the DT, and the LG dove at his legs.

I hope that's not what our guys are learning, you can end careers doing that, and that's definitely not legal.

Been pretty clear in these two pages and few posts that I do not like that style of offense, and only brought it up because somebody mentioned the Houston Texans, which to my knowledge is Alex Gibbs current place of employment.

I highly doubt that we're going to be teaching guys specifically to go for the legs - and I agree that a player that that blocks a defender below the waist, that is currently engaged with another blocker above the waist - should be called a penalty - if a referee/umpire sees it.

I looked, and if you're talking about the inside linebacker stunt play against the Bills, the center while contacting the defender who was zero tech (head up over center) -cant' tell if it's a LB or DT that was head up on the center.....Center isn't clearly engaged with the player and has his head out on the move to get out to the second level. The LG, in Gibbs system executes his block perfectly, taking out not one, but two backside defenders, because he got the LB, as well as the zero tech.

I don't like the system, I would hope that we're not teaching it, and having reviewed a little of MIke Cummings, because I knew nothign about him before, I would highly, highly doubt that we'd be using that kind of system to teach players to block and play offense as a unit.....but if you think for a second that linemen on the field won't take an opportunity when it's available and might be necessary to send a signal to take an opponent out low, and do it legally whether it be on offense or defense.....just to give a little "hey - what's up signal...", then.....well whatever. I want players that are going to win their battles on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom