Bad Good Movies | The Boneyard

Bad Good Movies

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This is the corollary to the other thread.

What are some movies that received very good reviews, or better yet, some major nominations, that you think suck. Bonus if the movie received any major Golden Globe or Oscar Nominations.

I will start:

The Master (2012) - Two of my favorite actors in Philip Seymour Hoffman and Joaquin Phoenix, but this movie is so boring, pretentious, and obviously Oscar bait that I was angry by the end of it. This movie sucks.

Towering Inferno (1974) - This movie has 3 Oscar WINS plus 4 more nominations. All for a movie that is essentially the Love Boat on fire. The dialogue is so cheesy and the whole movie is so melodramatic that this has to be one of the 2-3 worst movies ever nominated for Best Picture. I would have understood it if Coppola had turned down the Oscar for Godfather II that year just because he was embarrassed to be on the same list as this camp. Fun Fact: Steve McQueen and Paul Newman were fighting so much during filming about who was the lead that they had to make some edits to the script so the two of them would have exactly the same number of lines of dialogue.

Crash (2006) - This movie actually won Best Picture, and it seems so trite and over the top now. It is basically an R-rated after school special. The only thing this movie is missing is Mr. Drummond from Different Strokes to tell us the moral of the episode right before the credits rolled. It is a crime that this won the big prize over two masterpieces like Brokeback Mountain and Good Night, and Good Luck.

Reaction Score
Good call on Crash.

I know many liked it but I did not like Sicario at all.

Others...

Network
Mulholland Drive
Lost in Translation
Citizen Kane
The Social Network
The Blair Witch Project

And I liked it so would not put on this list but Get Out from earlier this year gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. It is very good but not great.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score

I didn't like it either.

I don't watch all the Oscar bait movies, but I check out many of them. They are fairly hit and miss with me. Critics seem to be looking for something else in movies than I am frequently. A couple critically acclaimed movies I really didn't like are The Wrestler and Crazy Heart. Somewhat similar movies. Allegedly redemption tales that are utterly depressing, the entire running time is all about how far the protagonist can sink, and the redemption doesn't come until pretty much the end credits are rolling.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I ended up hating American Beauty. More recently, I would put Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri on the list. It's not holding up for me. While worth seeing, I found the whole thing a bit off.

Reaction Score
Good call on Crash.

Others...

Network
Mulholland Drive
Lost in Translation
Citizen Kane
The Social Network
The Blair Witch Project

And I liked it so would not put on this list but Get Out from earlier this year gets 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. It is very good but not great.

I disagree on a few of your choices. Citizen Kane, Lost in Translation, and Get Out are all excellent movies that I love. It should be noted that Lost in Translation is one of those movies that has a split personality. Ever since it came out there has been a great divide between people who love or dislike that film. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground on that one. That has been the case ever since it came out.

I thought Network was great stuff when I saw it as a teenager when it first came out in the mid 1970's. However, in subsequent viewings it has not worn well with me, and I find I just don't care for it. Still, as a satire it very much pointed out the future direction of television news.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I disagree on a few of your choices. Citizen Kane, Lost in Translation, and Get Out are all excellent movies that I love. It should be noted that Lost in Translation is one of those movies that has a split personality. Ever since it came out there has been a great divide between people who love or dislike that film. There doesn't seem to be much of a middle ground on that one. That has been the case ever since it came out.

I thought Network was great stuff when I saw it as a teenager when it first came out in the mid 1970's. However, in subsequent viewings it has not worn well with me, and I find I just don't care for it. Still, as a satire it very much pointed out the future direction of television news.
I love Lost in Translation. My wife hates it.

Liked Network at the time and still do, but less compelling now.

Reaction Score
I liked Get Out alot. 3 stars.

Just shocked by 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

Reaction Score
I liked Get Out alot. 3 stars.

Just shocked by 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.

All this means is that 100 percent of critics thought it was a 6/10 or better, right?

Reaction Score
All this means is that 100 percent of critics thought it was a 6/10 or better, right?

Not sure exactly but extremely rare. I think they just score how many critics gave it a positive review.

Most of the all time great are mid 90s.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I ended up hating American Beauty. More recently, I would put Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri on the list. It's not holding up for me. While worth seeing, I found the whole thing a bit off.
I loved American Beauty, although I expect it will not hold up to repeated viewings now with the overlay of the recent revelations about Spacey.

Saw Three Billboards... the other night. Certainly unique, and some really great dark humor scenes, like when she dresses down the priest or pretends she hasn't been to the dentist. McDormand was great, as was Harrelson; but I didn't really get the redeeming qualities of the bad cop, or the ending that ties McDormand and him together.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom