Back to What We (Think We) Do Best. Recruiting. . . | The Boneyard

Back to What We (Think We) Do Best. Recruiting. . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
. . . Speculation.

(I hope that no matter how long this thread lasts that any participants will keep their brass knuckles and blackjacks sheathed or similarly safely stored.)

First Night (nee the SuperShow) will be coming up soon (early October) and it has been an annual ritual to guess which recruits will attend.

I'll start it off by naming Saniya Chong and Sierra Calhoun as most likely attendees.

Distance may make it difficult for Erica McCall or Courtney Ekmark.

Boneyard hearts would be most gladdened by seeing Linnae Harper or Brianna Turner in attendance.

If (not even remotely possible) either Mercedes Russell or Kaela Davis show up, the suicide rate in Knoxville will reach epic levels.

Anyone have an opinion, idle thought, or wild-assed guess?

Don't everybody speak at once.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Rich Elliott reported that Saniya will be in Storrs for First Night. I'm sure we'll soon hear about others.

BTW, classes at UConn begin on Monday, Aug 27. Preseason workouts will likely begin on Sept 1 and First Night and first practice 6 weeks later. I agree with Geno, this is going to be a special season.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Highest on my wish list are Turner and McCall - from the chatter thus far I am thinking McCall might be the more likely attendee for this fall's festivities. Maybe 50/50 at best? If Turner shows then I'd take that as a very good sign...

For guards, I bet that Saniya and Sierra are there, but not Harper. Not sure about Ekmark?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Highest on my wish list are Turner and McCall - from the chatter thus far I am thinking McCall might be the more likely attendee for this fall's festivities. Maybe 50/50 at best? If Turner shows then I'd take that as a very good sign...

For guards, I bet that Saniya and Sierra are there, but not Harper. Not sure about Ekmark?

Why not Harper?

Another possibility for First Night is Recee Caldwell, '14 G out of Texas. I think someone from Hoopgurlz tweeted that there is mutual interest and that Caldwell plans to visit UConn in the fall.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Why not Harper?

Just my guess. I think her stock is awfully high and it's going to be a challenge getting such a top-notch player for 2013 when UCONN isn't in her backyard and/or is not a place she has dreamed of going to for some time. She may still make it to First Night but I would wager she goes to another school's festivities.

But who knows?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Chong and Harper seem to be taking a similar approach in their response to schools recruiting them.

Chong has (reportedly!) pared her list to four schools (UConn, OSU, Louisville, and Maryland) and seems to be systematically lining up official visits to each. Logically, after these visits, she will consult with her parents and coaches and make her decision.

Harper still has a long list but most likely she will drop a few and focus on her favorites when scheduling visits.

McCall may focus on Stanford (great school and close to home) and UConn. Academics may prevail as the most important factor in her decision-making process.

Turner seems to be the Moore/Stewart/Secretariat of the class of 2014 so we know that Geno has her email address.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
As noted, it has been reported that Saniya Chong will be there.

I would expect that Sierra Calhoun will be there, given her brother's commitment, her father's statements, her interest, and the reasonable proximity.

I'm guessing that Courtney Ekmark will be there. Sure it's a long distance, but she's been to UConn on her own dime before. I think she wants to get immersed in the UConn environment.

I'm hoping that someone tall shows up. Breanna Turner would be a good one. So would Erica McCall.

I have not given up on Linnae Harper.

Some gold medal winner may show up too. :D

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Turner seems to be the Moore/Stewart/Secretariat of the class of 2014 so we know that Geno has her email address.
She is definitely a thoroughbred! :D

Reaction Score
Anyone who dreams of participating in the big dance should come.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
Or who dreams of being part of a history and tradition like this:

That video is really superb. Great recruiting tool, among other things.

And sometime during the UConn career of these 2012-14 kids, the magnificent training center will become a reality.

Reaction Score
It would not shock me if we get a surprise recruit or two to be in attendance at first night. Do we really know all the possible future recruits Geno is thinking about? I trust in Geno and UCONN.

Reaction Score

I would expect that Sierra Calhoun will be there, given her brother's commitment, her father's statements, her interest, and the reasonable proximity.

I'm guessing that Courtney Ekmark will be there. Sure it's a long distance, but she's been to UConn on her own dime before. I think she wants to get immersed in the UConn environment.

I'm hoping that someone tall shows up. Breanna Turner would be a good one. So would Erica McCall.

Why on this board does it seem that Harper is not our top priority. Her ranking and USA experience should make her a top priority since Bria would only have 1 year left when she gets here. Chong will add depth and is needed as well. Turner is a BIG deal, but I think we need more post depth behind her. It's also nice to hear that many of these young lady's are good people first, which is also why Geno recruits them.

Reaction Score
Why on this board does it seem that Harper is not our top priority. Her ranking and USA experience should make her a top priority since Bria would only have 1 year left when she gets here. Chong will add depth and is needed as well. Turner is a BIG deal, but I think we need more post depth behind her. It's also nice to hear that many of these young lady's are good people first, which is also why Geno recruits them.

I for one don't have the slightet idea which way Harper is leaning. We all would love to see Harper at UCONN, but right now I'm not to optimistic that we will get her. I feel we have a better chance of getting Chong and possibly McCall. If you are asking what UCONN'S top priority is for the 2013 and 2014 classes; that would be Turner.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I for one don't have the slightet idea which way Harper is leaning. We all would love to see Harper at UCONN, but right now I'm not to optimistic that we will get her. I feel we have a better chance of getting Chong and possibly McCall. If you are asking what UCONN'S top priority is for the 2013 and 2014 classes; that would be Turner.

+1

I would also LOVE to get Harper - but am with most on the board in feeling that our chances aren't great with MoJeff coming on board this fall.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes - I think the feeling here is that maybe we were a little late to the party with Harper as well and that our chances aren't that good. No body here questions that it would be great to get her or that she is not a high quality player, just no one is getting their hopes up.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Linnae Harper is a combo guard, who has different skills from all of our current players and commits. There is definitely a space for her at UConn. She is possibly the physically and mentally toughest player her size out there. I hope she wants to play and room with Morgan Tuck, her rival (and friend?) from Chicago. I think no one has a handle on where she is leaning. Her teammate went to Kentucky, and Notre Dame is not far from home, but she seems like a Husky.

Reaction Score
I read Harper is a 2 guard and had to be moved over to the point for team USA. That would not compete w/ MJ, but maybe just maybe form one of the fastest and most athletic guard combo ever in wcbb. If Ekmark plays point down the road than we will need 2 guards. Who else do we have? Banks! She will be a junior when Harper comes and a senior when Ekmark comes. Sierra is a 6'0" wing who if she comes doesn't help the backcourt. We are not deep at guard and really need talented players over the next couple years. FYI, all three ND recruits this year are guards.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It would not shock me if we get a surprise recruit or two to be in attendance at first night. Do we really know all the possible future recruits Geno is thinking about? I trust in Geno and UCONN.
I agree. A high-priority recruit from across the country? A low-profile local kid? A class of 2015 player? All of the above?

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Milford:) I agree with you RE Chong,Calhoun,and Eckman being 3 who will be there! Courtney has shown she has this passion for her future home! I think she wants to experience it all!
Remember Harper and McCall are Srs and will be really looking to make a decision probably by Nov! I for one have not ruled out Harper. In 2013 and beyond we are not loaded with guards! Yes 2013 we have MO as a SO,Banks a JR,Bria a SR****,Courtney can play multiple positions the 2,3,1! I would love to have Harper! We may very well see a # of 2014 kids in addition to Calhoun! Also a Surprise kid! *****
At this point,we ONLY have 8 kids for 2013! Of course those 8 are going to be barring injury the NCS very possibly the defending NCS!!
We are that good! We might see Turner,Recee along with Courtney,Sierra and others from the 2014 class.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Still hoping for Geno to pull a Sveta clone out of his foreign travels!

Reaction Score
Yes - I think the feeling here is that maybe we were a little late to the party with Harper as well and that our chances aren't that good. No body here questions that it would be great to get her or that she is not a high quality player, just no one is getting their hopes up.
We thought we were too late to the party with Maya, too, IIRC, so...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom