Back on the Kevin Ollie bandwagon | The Boneyard

Back on the Kevin Ollie bandwagon

Reaction Score
Despite the injuries this year I was still critical of KO's coaching and thought he sucked. But anyone can have a bad year, we all do! KO is doing a full house cleaning with guys 5 toes in like Jackson and I'm all for it. Enoch is a horrible defender and Vance can't guard grandma's according to ( ).....

As much as I like Miller and appreciate him as a Husky sometimes a change is best for everyone. Even my 67 year old mom was wondering why Jalen Adams was always winded (as a freshman) so not sad to see the conditioning coach go either. Chills is about to make some moves watch...

The program and UConn brand is obviously bigger than KO, but I really want to see him succeed in 17-18'. Huge year for him and he's made a living off surprising people when no one gave him a shot, so watch out for us next year.

Reaction Score
The Sky is falling ...

We need to re-boot ... and we are re-booting. What is the skepticism on Ollie? We have a huge weekend of CBB featuring Oregon that haven't been the the Final Four since 1938 + Gonzaga that is thrilled for the their first trip to the FF + Frank Martin who is getting great praise for getting South Carolina (which had great teams in the early 1970s) ... AND here we are bit*hing about Kevin Ollie who got to the vaunted FF. Do I see vulnerable deficiencies ... hmmm ... yeah. I still think kids like him. I am 100% on the move to Killings and Chillious after Miller and Hobbs. We still have a "culture" of March excellence ... that Gonzaga or Wichita State or West Virginia or Xavier would love to have.

These are key months. I am still on the UConn heart bleeding fan bandwagon.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No hard feelings, we all bleed blue here and use the BY to sometimes vent in different ways.
Absolutely no hard feelings if I did I wouldn't have seen this due to my trusty ignore button!

Reaction Score
I think most of us bleed Husky Blue and White. Unfortunately the marriage with KO as coach is wearing thin and lot's of us think he might not be the right person to lead us going forward. Next year will be huge for him and his UCONN coaching career.

Reaction Score
Despite the injuries this year I was still critical of KO's coaching and thought he sucked. But anyone can have a bad year, we all do! KO is doing a full house cleaning with guys 5 toes in like Jackson and I'm all for it. Enoch is a horrible defender and Vance can't guard grandma's according to ( ).....

As much as I like Miller and appreciate him as a Husky sometimes a change is best for everyone. Even my 67 year old mom was wondering why Jalen Adams was always winded (as a freshman) so not sad to see the conditioning coach go either. Chills is about to make some moves watch...

The program and UConn brand is obviously bigger than KO, but I really want to see him succeed in 17-18'. Huge year for him and he's made a living off surprising people when no one gave him a shot, so watch out for us next year.
I think I am more in this camp than the sky is falling camp. I think there are some big moves coming. I think the mass exodus was because they all were aware of big moves coming. I think there will be a talent UPGRAYYYDZZZZ a'coming soon. Either that or we are just doomed and will become a mid major.

Reaction Score
I think I am more in this camp than the sky is falling camp. I think there are some big moves coming. I think the mass exodus was because they all were aware of big moves coming. I think there will be a talent UPGRAYYYDZZZZ a'coming soon. Either that or we are just doomed and will become a mid major.
They don't have much time. Hopefully things are already in the works. We are desperate for good news

Reaction Score

So we have a mass exodus of players. And the reason is because our program is actually too appealing? That we are now going to start major talent?

Gimme a break.

Enoch left because the current staff has literally zero track record developing bigs. Like zero.

Jackson left because our offense sucks and he knows he can used better elsewhere.

Mal who knows. But I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the Product this year and said no thanks. Purvis isn't exactly a shining example of what we can do with talented combo guards.

There is no positive spin on this crap. Our program a shi*show right now.

Reaction Score
I think most of us bleed Husky Blue and White. Unfortunately the marriage with KO as coach is wearing thin and lot's of us think he might not be the right person to lead us going forward. Next year will be huge for him and his UCONN coaching career.

That's what is so crazy about all of this. Next year is crucial to the program and we have two proven players. And one was a 3 star guard going into his second year. (I'm not counting Larrier and Gilbert because who the hell knows.)

It is absolutely crucial that two guys who suffered major injuries are 100% healthy this year for us to even field a team.

The only saving grace from this past year was that some of our younger guys got extra pt. And two of them are now gone. So it was a complete and total waste with zero saving grace.

Next year is crucial for the program and we barely even have a roster right now. We better add some talent real quick.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If KO couldn't coach, his team wouldn't outperform his seed in literally every single post-season tournament we've ever been in. Ever.

If all was sunshine and roses, we wouldn't need to.
They outperformed their seed because they had a better team than those seeded above them but underperformed in the regular season.

Reaction Score
So we have a mass exodus of players. And the reason is because our program is actually too appealing? That we are now going to start major talent?

Gimme a break.

Enoch left because the current staff has literally zero track record developing bigs. Like zero.

Jackson left because our offense sucks and he knows he can used better elsewhere.

Mal who knows. But I wouldn't be surprised if he saw the Product this year and said no thanks. Purvis isn't exactly a shining example of what we can do with talented combo guards.

There is no positive spin on this crap. Our program a shi*show right now.
Facey?

Reaction Score
They outperformed their seed because they had a better team than those seeded above them but underperformed in the regular season.
Meh. Maybe as a 5 seed in the AAC. Not consistently as a 7-seed in the NCAAs. Maybe the 7-2 UConn Nova game. But the UConn-MSU game and UConn-Florida games were KO getting his players to outperform their talent and beat teams that, on paper, were better. They did underperform in the regular season (even in 2014!), but he gets his teams to perform in the post-season. He beat very good, championship winning coaches, who--from Round 1--coached teams close to or better than his team.

He outcoached coaches who were more obviously established. KO beat Martelli-Wright-Hoiberg-Izzo-Donovan-Calipari.

People in another thread compared him to Mike Davis. Mike Davis' Indiana team beat a 12 seed Utah team (Majerus was a very good coach, but that was a very weak team). Then he beat a 13 seed. Then he beat Duke--huge upset to be sure. In the E8, he beat 10 seed Kent State. Then a Kelvin Sampson OU team. I mean, that run has only one win.

Tubby Smith beat a 15-10-Steve-Lavin-coached-6-Coach K-Mike Montgomery-Utah.

Just, actually look at those runs and tell me what KO did wasn't light-years better.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Really? This is really your excuse your using to diminish their run to the title in '14?

Reaction Score
That win was better than any in the 2014 run let's be fair.
The Duke win (in both cases)? Maybe

That's one win though. Teams get upset all the time. But an upset is usually only one win. Ollie did it again, again, again, and again. Four championship coaches. Also, the Florida team hadn't lost in months and months. They were the #1 overall seed.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Really? This is really your excuse your using to diminish their run to the title in '14?
I'm not diminishing their run, but the truth is that based on record/SOS they should have been a 4 or 5 seed and that doesn't account for the fact that they lost some games they should have won. They really were one of the top 8-10 talent wise, and they had the best backcourt in the country.

Reaction Score
The Duke win (in both cases)? Maybe

That's one win though. Teams get upset all the time. But an upset is usually only one win. Ollie did it again, again, again, and again. Four championship coaches. Also, the Florida team hadn't lost in months and months. They were the #1 overall seed.
Great wins for sure. Then he got beat Wagner and Northeastern. So this pendulum swings both ways. Of course we all want Ollie to succeed. But he really has to do better. His teams have to average more than 60+ points a game. And he has to work the officials. KO owns next year. He needs to build the bandwagon.

Reaction Score
7e3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom