Back in the Gym | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Back in the Gym

Reaction Score
Would be surprised if Williams or Odada comeback, they are prob both 1st rders. Only one that might have of coming back is Westbrook. I don't see many mocks of her going rd 1
This is Westbrook's last year of eligibility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
This is Westbrook's last year of eligibility.
Actually, Evina has one more year if she decided to use it. She played 2 years at TN, redshirted her 1st year at UConn, played last year (which didn’t count). So this coming season will only be her 3rd year of eligibility.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I'll always think the extra year allowed was an unnecessary and wrong move by the NCAA.
Keep in mind that many teams cancelled their seasons entirely. Throughout D2 & D3, this was the case. It was also the case in the Ivy League and elsewhere in D1. In addition, at the time the NCAA announced the extra year, there were hundreds of games being postponed or cancelled and the completion of the season was still in doubt.

Reaction Score
Actually, Evina has one more year if she decided to use it. She played 2 years at TN, redshirted her 1st year at UConn, played last year (which didn’t count). So this coming season will only be her 3rd year of eligibility.
Spot-on!

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that many teams cancelled their seasons entirely. Throughout D2 & D3, this was the case. It was also the case in the Ivy League and elsewhere in D1. In addition, at the time the NCAA announced the extra year, there were hundreds of games being postponed or cancelled and the completion of the season was still in doubt.

I do have that in mind. I think it was a hasty, over-reaction. A blanket "pardon" wasn't necessary, and did nothing for the departed seniors who really were the aggrieved party.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I do have that in mind. I think it was a hasty, over-reaction. A blanket "pardon" wasn't necessary, and did nothing for the departed seniors who really were the aggrieved party.
I don’t disagree that the decision may have been a bit hasty. But I’m not sure how departing seniors are aggrieved. They all had the opportunity to return for an extra year. If anyone is aggrieved, it would be incoming freshmen, who might otherwise have expected some PT, only to learn that they have to sit behind a 5th year senior.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn also loses Westbrook. Actually, I think this season's team is deeper than the Jefferson, Stewart, and Tuck senior team.
Thanks Don. I was having a “senior moment“ when I wrote that comment. How could I forget about Momma E? That makes it even more challenging. Three former starters gone. That’s a lot of leadership and experience leaving. I’m not suggesting that - that team should worry or won’t be formidable, it will. How good they will be compared to THIS team will remain to be seen. I expect all of the top 7 ranked teams at that time to be exceptionally good. We know who’s team this will be next year if it’s not already. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I don’t disagree that the decision may have been a bit hasty. But I’m not sure how departing seniors are aggrieved. They all had the opportunity to return for an extra year. If anyone is aggrieved, it would be incoming freshmen, who might otherwise have expected some PT, only to learn that they have to sit behind a 5th year senior.
The senior class of 2020, which was denied March Madness.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Thanks Don. I was having a “senior moment“ when I wrote that comment. How could I forget about Momma E? That makes it even more challenging. Three former starters gone. That’s a lot of leadership and experience leaving. I’m not suggesting that - that team should worry or won’t be formidable, it will. How good they will be compared to THIS team will remain to be seen. I expect all of the top 7 ranked teams at that time to be exceptionally good. We know who’s team this will be next year if it’s not already. :rolleyes:
Yes it's already her team and has been since last mid season. On the floor that is, little doubt who ran things on court. Off the court it was obviously Momma E, I expect thigs to continue this coming season.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I’ll go out on a limb. Christyn & Evina will be the first 2 guards drafted by the W next spring, in no particular order….

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Luv ya dude, but kinda early to make that call.
Lotta “road” between here and there.
I’m sure there are plenty of talented guards around the country, but from my brief review, there aren’t a lot of “senior” guards that I’m aware of with more talent than UConn’s 2 seniors.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I would say a healthy Westbrook playing well on a NC winning team will go up to first round wnba...
Tha fact that she is a BIG (6’0”) guard won’t hurt either. She doesn’t look that BIG on TV. WNBA coaches and GM’s will watch her as they will all of the other senior guards coming out after the season.

Reaction Score
I feel like a lot of wnba teams should be looking at the success of Alisha Clark and say I think I can get me one of those by drafting Evina Westbrook.

Reaction Score
sorry but that's jut not true. Williams is a top 5 wnba player and Westbrook is going if she goes 1st at the 8-12 range.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Would be surprised if Williams or Odada comeback, they are prob both 1st rders. Only one that might have of coming back is Westbrook. I don't see many mocks of her going rd 1
Who is "Odada"?
It kinda bugs some BYers when posters misspell a player's name...:rolleyes:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I think the decision was made partly to keep teams competitive in a year where no one knew how many games might be played, when a season could be cancelled for everyone or by specific teams. If the season would count as an eligible year, how many players would have opted out when games started being cancelled or before any games were played - who knows, but whole teams ended up opting out anyway.

It is certainly a messy situation for the next three years, and will have an impact on individual team record books, conference record books, and NCAA record books. It will impact recruiting and team composition and give coaches more gray hairs. Transfers went through the roof this year, partly because of rules changes, but also significantly impacted by grad transfers with extra years of eligibility.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom