Back in the Gym | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Back in the Gym

Reaction Score
Thanks! I needed that................or anything else thats a video of our girls practicing. It's been too long since March! Its been about 2 years now since they last played, isn't it?
Family Time Reaction GIF by Lifetime
To to funny.
C’mon girl. Soon enough!

Reaction Score
So, when was the last time they had 14 players? And someone explain to me how you play 14 players. And will they have 14 again next year?
They had full rosters back in the hay day of the early 2000s which worked out well.... and its called conference play in how you find appropriate minutes for all of them. And yes they'll be in the 14 range next year too.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
See post #9 in this thread. Much different than preseason practices (w/in 42-days of first regular season game).
So it's not covered by this? Is a basketball not considered basketball equipment? It seems confusing to me. Whatever the case may be, I think they know better than to publish a practice that violates any rules so I think it's all good.
1631498165088.png

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
So it's not covered by this? Is a basketball not considered basketball equipment? It seems confusing to me. Whatever the case may be, I think they know better than to publish a practice that violates any rules so I think it's all good. View attachment 69741
No. Conditioning and skills instruction are permitted before preseason practice begins subject to the 8-hour and 4-hour limitation mentioned in post #9.

Reaction Score
So it's not covered by this? Is a basketball not considered basketball equipment? It seems confusing to me. Whatever the case may be, I think they know better than to publish a practice that violates any rules so I think it's all good. View attachment 69741
NCAA is going bye bye soon, so really it's kind of pissing into the ocean at this point.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
In 2019-2020, the starting lineup was Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, ONO, and Makurat/ Irwin. Griffin came off the bench, and 8-10 was Bent, Adebayo, and Camara.

That was it.

Christyn averaged almost 36 minutes per game.

That season, and the three seasons preceding it, all featured very thin rosters. Starters logged too many minutes. Injuries and foul trouble were enormous problems. Nerve racking for fans and coaches alike.

I prefer the current roster number of 14 as well as the quality of the depth. Who wouldn’t? Obviously not all of them will play much. But it is a meritocracy and they all have a chance to earn playing time.

When the NCAA Tournament comes around, the ones on the floor will have clearly earned the right to be out there.

Amashutcha

Basketball enjoyer
Reaction Score
No. Conditioning and skills instruction are permitted before preseason practice begins subject to the 8-hour and 4-hour limitation mentioned in post #9.
I agree that it's permitted, but if the rules were to be followed shouldn't the use of a basketball which I think is considered basketball equipment supposed to be a no-no?

Well, whatever. I'm just glad everybody's there healthy. :)

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I agree that it's permitted, but if the rules were to be followed shouldn't the use of a basketball which I think is considered basketball equipment supposed to be a no-no?

Well, whatever. I'm just glad everybody's there healthy. :)
The Bylaw you quote explicitly says "except as permitted in Bylaws 17.1.7.2.2" which states

17.1.7.2.2 Skill Instruction -- Sports Other Than Football. Participation by student-athletes in skill-related instruction in sports other than football is permitted outside the institution's declared playing season, from the institution's first day of classes of the academic year or September 15, whichever occurs earlier, to one week prior to the beginning of the institution's final examination period at the conclusion of the academic year [see Bylaw 17.1.7.2-(a)].

Bylaw 17.1.7.2 (a) states:

Sports Other Than Football. Outside of the playing season, from the institution's first day of classes of the academic year or September 15, whichever occurs earlier, to one week prior to the beginning of the institution's final examination period at the conclusion of the academic year, only a student-athlete's participation in required weight training, conditioning and skill-related instruction shall be permitted. A student-athlete's participation in such activities per Bylaw 17.02.1 shall be limited to a maximum of eight hours per week with not more than four hours per week spent on skill-related workouts.

Reaction Score
UConn also loses Westbrook. Actually, I think this season's team is deeper than the Jefferson, Stewart, and Tuck senior team.
Someone please help me out here as I am easily confused. I thought EW was the only player taking advantage of the "free" covid year this year and that the other 13 players still have that "free" year in their back pocket for future years, not that everyone is going to exercise that option. How in the world to you recruit and make offers when there is uncertainty as to how many roster positions are open next year, the year after, etc.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone please help me out here as I am easily confused. I thought EW was the only player taking advantage of the "free" covid year this year and that the other 13 players still have that "free" year in their back pocket for future years, not that everyone is going to exercise that option. How in the world to you recruit and make offers when there is uncertainty as to how many roster positions are open next year, the year after, etc.
Evina is playing her redshirt year as a GS. She is still entitled to her “free Covid” year next season if she decided to use it, as is everyone else who played for the Huskies last season.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Geno has often claimed that the 2000-2001 team was the most 'talented' UConn team ever. Did not say 'the best'.
I'm sure I'm missing a few but it had Shea/Paige Sauer/Stacy Hansmeyer...Bird/Jones/Williams/Cash/Walters [from that superb recruiting class] plus the frosh with Taurasi et al....uhhh..forget Svetlana Abrosimova [pretty worthwhile player].

They were destroying top ten teams early on. Svet went down with a season-ending injury in a game at LadyVol...Shea the same in the Big East tourney. They did lose at ND in a regular season game when healthy. They beat ND in the BE finals with The Shot by Sue very late. Despite the injuries they [easily?] advanced to the semis in the tourney...led ND by double digits at half time...but played poorly in the second half...partly distinguished by poor shooting by Dee. ND edges Purdue in the final game.

The following year 2001-2002 was arguably the best college team ever...with many stars returning [no Shea/Paige/Stacy] with just a tad of motivation. 39-0.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
So, when was the last time they had 14 players? And someone explain to me how you play 14 players. And will they have 14 again next year?
2008/09, 2007/08, 2000/01, 1998/99, 1997/98, 1995/96.

You usually don't have to worry about that. Usually someone redshirts or there is an injury or two.

Depends on what Westbrook, Williams, ONO and Juhasz decide to do. ????

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and even out of the gym. Paige keeps on shooting competitively.

New video of Paige (with Nika, Aaliyah, Liv and Mir?? in background) helping a friend celebrate his birthday. Not sure but I think he is part of the UConn Mens Football team?

The shooting action is in the second half of the clip. No spoiler alert

(28) 1 on 1 against Paige Bueckers on my BDAY - YouTube

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
When she missed 5 or 6 in a row she's in the background with her Paige Unhappy Face. Ain't no mistaking it. Thank God she made the last shot!

Reaction Score
In 2019-2020, the starting lineup was Walker, Dangerfield, Williams, ONO, and Makurat/ Irwin. Griffin came off the bench, and 8-10 was Bent, Adebayo, and Camara.

That was it.

Christyn averaged almost 36 minutes per game.

That season, and the three seasons preceding it, all featured very thin rosters. Starters logged too many minutes. Injuries and foul trouble were enormous problems. Nerve racking for fans and coaches alike.

I prefer the current roster number of 14 as well as the quality of the depth. Who wouldn’t? Obviously not all of them will play much. But it is a meritocracy and they all have a chance to earn playing time.

When the NCAA Tournament comes around, the ones on the floor will have clearly earned the right to be out there.
Agree completely. 14 really isn't a large number.

Did you know that college football teams are allowed 125 players? I certainly didn't. The average carried per team is 105, which is still a big number.

Reaction Score
2008/09, 2007/08, 2000/01, 1998/99, 1997/98, 1995/96.

You usually don't have to worry about that. Usually someone redshirts or there is an injury or two.

Depends on what Westbrook, Williams, ONO and Juhasz decide to do. ????
This might have been discussed about 6 months ago, is the NCAA making any roster accommodation for players opting for the extra year? What are the odds of getting the entire team back? Probably pretty low considering these guys could go fairly early in the draft....

Reaction Score
I think she missed most on purpose after the guy missed. Her final shot was with full form and sealed with a kiss. :cool:
She threw a few intentional bricks there, that was obvious. It was the guy's birthday after all.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think she missed most on purpose after the guy missed. Her final shot was with full form and sealed with a kiss. :cool:
You know I did wonder about her missing on purpose. So the Paige Unhappy Face was part of the act.

Reaction Score
This might have been discussed about 6 months ago, is the NCAA making any roster accommodation for players opting for the extra year? What are the odds of getting the entire team back? Probably pretty low considering these guys could go fairly early in the draft....
Our starting five from the end of last season will be 20-23 years old. They're not getting any younger so if they want to maximize a pro career they need to move on sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score

there is no roster limit of any kind under normal NCAA rules - only a limit on scholarships.

Reaction Score
Would be surprised if Williams or Odada comeback, they are prob both 1st rders. Only one that might have of coming back is Westbrook. I don't see many mocks of her going rd 1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom