Back from the Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
First game I've seen in person.

Some thoughts from Tulane.

First off nice little arena. Small? Yes, but even with a crowd barely half full, it definitely got loud during their second half run. Easy parking on site across from arena for $0. No complaints. Good beer selection and concessions were reasonable. Every Tulane fan I talked with was courteous.

As for the game....

Refereeing was insane. Especially the second half. As others noted it was so lopsided they ended up calling fouls on 4-5 straight possessions just to even it out. Everyone in the crowd knew what was going on.

So, #22 on Tulane got T-ed up in the first half for dropping bomb at Miller or Facey right after he was fouled. After he sank the second FT he doubled down on a second F bomb. The second half dust up had one official go over to the scorer table and say it was a double technical. One on #22 and the other I think was on Purvis but I'm not sure. I guess the rule is that on a double T there aren't any FT's? Announcer at the game made no mention of anything.

Gibbs willed this team to a win. Purvis hit big shots too.

If Purvis would have finished the two-hand fast break dunk in the 1st half it would've been a permanent part of best UConn dunk discussions. He was way high up.

Enoch is going to be good. He covers a lot of space and spots up nicely in the post.

Tulane's big guys are good. #21, #22 and #23 can all play. #15 has some room to grow. I doubt all 12 blocks were clean but they got most of them clean.

Both Miller and Facey have a second level when they jump for rebounds. They just hang up there longer than others.

Purvis looked good with his FT's tonight but Ollie still went with the O/D substitutions with Calhoun at the end.

Gibbs and Hamilton had ice in their ceins the last minute.

Ollie was working the refs and had some demonstrative statements for them.

Nice UConn crowd was spread out around the arena. Hope the chants made it through on TV.

Adams for the second straight game had a blow by layup wiped out from behind. He ain't in HS any more.

Hamilton was leaving his feet before he knew what he was going to do way too often.

Boo was in attendance of course. Several other former players too but I couldn't put name to face.

Omar looks fluid out there. He moves well all around the court. He really list two years to injuries.

I don't know if Phil was in doghouse or sick. I think Enoch may just have eclipsed him. Like a senior leader is supposed to do, he made two great pmays at the end.

Some of the players wear a black band on the waist of their shorts. Others don't. I have zero idea what it's about.

I think Enoch grows out of his shorts between the time he suits up and when game starts.

That's enough for now.

One more. move by the UConn fans in the Subaru Outback w/ CT tags not playing nice with the cars leaving the garage. There was a nice pattern of getting people out of parking spaces and on to the flow. bogarted the pattern.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all of the insight, I wish you called the game over Gillen and whatshisface. The chants definitely came across on TV. Great job Huskies in the Big EZ.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd like to personally thank the UConn fans who started and led the cheers.

Way beyond my skillset. I have trouble yelling the cheers and keeping my clapping in synch.

So, here's to you cheer leaders. You rock.

Reaction Score
Was at game too. Good write up. Guys play hard and defense was better than had looked to me on TV re effort, switching, help. 22 got in Hamilton's head and he took some too hard shots/drives near end. Amazing how fast a 20 point lead can go away. Tulane was much bigger and heftier than UConn and really pounded the ball inside.
Crazy bad ref calls from 14:30 to 11:00 of 2nd half.
Tulane missed lot foul shots at end UConn almost none - was difference in the game.
Especially evident was Omar moving much better than last couple of years, Adams was only kid out there who looked ill at ease with the ball (not including Facey/Enoch in this but only ball handlers) and when to pass/move/dribble.
Hamilton needs to finish his moves to the basket with higher % shots, seemed to end up with higher difficulty shots than if he just pulled up and shot.
Gibbs almost looked like a "Bazz" type takeover late in game, needs to figure out how to get fouled. That long 3 pointer late in the game was crazy. He really deferred to everyone else on offense until Tulane caught up.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Gibbs almost looked like a "Bazz" type takeover late in game, needs to figure out how to get fouled. That long 3 pointer late in the game was crazy. He really deferred to everyone else on offense until Tulane caught up.

Said that exact thing in the game thread on that long 3: Gibbs just did his best Bazz impression.

Reaction Score
outbacks are easily the most common car in connecticut ( actually just looked it up its the forester, close)

Reaction Score
If Purvis would have finished the two-hand fast break dunk in the 1st half it would've been a permanent part of best UConn dunk discussions. He was way high up.

The pass by Adams to him was sweet. Both would have been highlighted in a @tcf15 video.

Reaction Score
Agree with Chin and said the same thing about DHam to my brother during one of our 20 calls to discuss something - "DHam needs to occasionally stay on his feet or come up with a jump stop in the lane, while he is really good at what he does he's asking for #1 charge calls and #2 caught up with nowhere to go." Love the kid but he was responsible for much our helter skelter during the 17-0 in by the Wave. We need him to be better in those situations for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom