B12 might expand | Page 2 | The Boneyard

B12 might expand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
kbohls kbohls retweeted by McMurphyCBS

Texas not giving an inch on the Longhorn Network. Dodds notes OU will have its own soon. UT wants 2nd game on LHN.

So this just means if we go we get to start our own Husky TV network.

Reaction Score
Seeing reports today that Texas is pretty unwilling to make any concessions at all.

Texas appears willing, with key word being appears...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...commissioner-dan-beebe-job-status-source-says

Texas president William Powers told reporters in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday that staying in the Big 12 was the top priority and was open to a new revenue-sharing plan. Powers said that reworking media contracts was a way to create stability.
"There are methods of doing that, including the way media deals are structured and we'll be working with our partners in the Big 12 and our media partners to structure something that has stability," Powers said.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 can have all the in fighting they want and OU and Texas can spit and piss on each other until the cows come home, but the simple fact is that nobody wants just OU and OK St, and nobody wants just Texas (with its LHN baggage) and Texas Tech. So until there is a viable option for them all these negotiations and antics are meaningless.

The ACC would likely give into Texas' LHN requirements, so this could lead to Swofford's dream scenario.

The only thing that UConn wants if for there to be continued dissent in the B-12. If things settle down and everybody is happy UConn and the BE are screwed.

Reaction Score

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/s...commissioner-dan-beebe-job-status-source-says

Texas president William Powers told reporters in Austin, Texas, on Wednesday that staying in the Big 12 was the top priority and was open to a new revenue-sharing plan. Powers said that reworking media contracts was a way to create stability.
"There are methods of doing that, including the way media deals are structured and we'll be working with our partners in the Big 12 and our media partners to structure something that has stability," Powers said.
Interesting. Have we determined whether it's better or worse for us if Texas works out a deal? I'm so confused at this point lol.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Interesting. Have we determined whether it's better or worse for us if Texas works out a deal? I'm so confused at this point lol.
Everyone is confused at this moment even the universities and conferences. Your the first to admit it.

Reaction Score

If Texas works out a deal, then B12 is saved. If they expand and take WVU and UL, we are screwed even worse than we are now. If they also take RU and UCONN in addition to WVU and UL, then it is not great but we are still in a BCS conference. B12 could strike the final blow to what's left of the BE. At this point, no one is committed to the BE. Pitt and CUSE have already proved that.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure this saves the Big 12 any more than the last deal saved it. Texas still wants to use the LHN as a recruiting tool and is messing around with how it covers high school football. they still want the lions share of the LHN revenues. they still don't want to make a long term commitment to the B-12...I see this as a short term solution, but next year we'll be back to the same isssues and arguments about who is goin gto run the league. I have to think that if the Big East had a reasonable deal to sell, and could get the votes, it would have a shot at bringing in Kansas,K-State, Iowa State and maybe Baylor and or even Missouri if the SEC thing isn't a done deal. When the tv deal is only speculative, though, it is much more difficult.

Reaction Score
Some on the OU board are speculating about the SEC getting involved taking OU, OSU, and Mizzou.

Reaction Score
Some on the OU board are speculating about the SEC getting involved taking OU, OSU, and Mizzou.

If Texas is unwilling to negotiate anything, this is a good move for OU. Maybe that precipitates Texas backing off and going to the PAC 16 with Tech, Kansas and KState instead? Who knows.

If I'm OU, I'm trying to get away from Texas. As soon as possible.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I submit you are all missing something about Notre Dame's interest in any of the conferences. They want to be independent in football, but they want conference affiliation in all other sports. Well, if the BE implodes or not, with football schools going somewhere (Conn and RU to ACC, WVU, Louisville, TAMU to B12, etc.) the BE basketball schools aren't going anywhere. The new Big East could well be the basketball schools, plus maybe Xavier, Dayton, St. Bona, etc, PLUS ND. They still have football independence AND a conference for all their other sports. The ball is still in NDs court and their decision on whether to join a conference or not really won't affect their non football sports. Their only question will be the strength of the non-football competition.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
if the Big East blows up, ND may not have a suitable home for all their sports besides football

that may be the straw that breaks their back

what if no other conference gives them what the BE gave them

this may be what the ACC is waiting for

IDK
there will always be a place for ND in the BE. any Big East taht includes G-Town, Nova, PC, Depaul, Seton Hall, SJU, etc. will always allow them to keep football independent. and if ND from a $ perspective can stay independent in FB, they will.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I submit you are all missing something about Notre Dame's interest in any of the conferences. They want to be independent in football, but they want conference affiliation in all other sports. Well, if the BE implodes or not, with football schools going somewhere (Conn and RU to ACC, WVU, Louisville, TAMU to B12, etc.) the BE basketball schools aren't going anywhere. The new Big East could well be the basketball schools, plus maybe Xavier, Dayton, St. Bona, etc, PLUS ND. They still have football independence AND a conference for all their other sports. The ball is still in NDs court and their decision on whether to join a conference or not really won't affect their non football sports. Their only question will be the strength of the non-football competition.
u beat me to it. i think i postedthe same thing...

Reaction Score
In regards to B12 expansion if survival is imminent, the only targets seem to be Arkansas (rejected), Pitt (ACC), WVa, Louisville and the number one target being BYU.

Not saying UConn isn't a good school, but the state of Connecticut is a long, long ways away from the Great Plains and I don't think they would get consideration on overhead costs alone. UConn is kind of stuck on an island.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The only way ND commits to any conference is if the BE says you are in with all sports, including football, or you are out. Now we all know that's not going to happen.

Reaction Score
I don't see why the Big 12 would expand if Texas/Texas Tech/Ok/Okie st/Missouri all stay . Texas doesn't even want to share any of their revenue with their own conference mates. Why would they want to share it with 2 or 3 new teams?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So, our future depends on ND. Great, just great.

smh.gif

Reaction Score
if the Big East blows up, ND may not have a suitable home for all their sports besides football

They'll go to the A-10. Heck, before they joined the BE, they were in something like the Midwestern Conference for everything except FB & MCBB. I'm sure they'll have no problem finding a place for their non-FB sports.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
The only way ND commits to any conference is if the BE says you are in with all sports, including football, or you are out. Now we all know that's not going to happen.

but what happens to the BE if WVU, Louisville and one other leaves? does ND still stay?

will there be any money at all?

Reaction Score

Old Texas revenue-sharing plan proposal: TX = 99 cents; everyone else 1=cent

New Texas revenue-sharing plan proposal: TX = 98 cents; everyone else 2 cents

TX doubles its offer!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members