Azzi's Recruiting Statement | The Boneyard

Azzi's Recruiting Statement

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Well, what do you think. Could this be part of a recruiting packet?

“Right away, you could tell that it was just different there,” Fudd recently told The Courant. “The way they went about their business and handled their business, it was just different. They did it on different level. It shows why they’re always such a good program and how Coach Auriemma and the other coaches do such a great job. ... Mentally, their IQ is different, the knowledge that all the coaches bring.”

“I know that they will be able to push me and get the most out of me,” Fudd said. “I have goals of playing in the WNBA, being on the Olympic team. So I just know that being at UConn with them as my coaches and then also competing with the best in practice everyday, it will get me to be the player I want to be.”

She also dropped this: "It’s hard to say because I’m not at the college level, but I feel like we should be able to go four in a row.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1605554885251.png

Reaction Score
Well, what do you think. Could this be part of a recruiting packet?

“Right away, you could tell that it was just different there,” Fudd recently told The Courant. “The way they went about their business and handled their business, it was just different. They did it on different level. It shows why they’re always such a good program and how Coach Auriemma and the other coaches do such a great job. ... Mentally, their IQ is different, the knowledge that all the coaches bring.”

“I know that they will be able to push me and get the most out of me,” Fudd said. “I have goals of playing in the WNBA, being on the Olympic team. So I just know that being at UConn with them as my coaches and then also competing with the best in practice everyday, it will get me to be the player I want to be.”

She also dropped this: "It’s hard to say because I’m not at the college level, but I feel like we should be able to go four in a row.”

I have read others making similar comments about UConn over the years. It's always the elite of the elite saying it too. Others wonder about minutes or how many shots they will get. Most college players know their basketball-playing careers end with graduation and pick schools with that in mind. The Bueckers and Fudds of wcbb are looking ahead to a pro and Olympic career and college is a step to those goals. They want the best training.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I read right by this little gem on first read: " But the first time she was able to see a UConn women’s basketball practice up close and personal, she got chills. " You read the article and the devil in you wants to say: So what was so hard in picking UConn?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have read others making similar comments about UConn over the years. It's always the elite of the elite saying it too. Others wonder about minutes or how many shots they will get. Most college players know their basketball-playing careers end with graduation and pick schools with that in mind. The Bueckers and Fudds of wcbb are looking ahead to a pro and Olympic career and college is a step to those goals. They want the best training.
For me Jaime Nared may have said it best of all

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
And now we come to IT! The real reason she committed to UCONN. I'll bet Fudd has never played for a team, high school or AAU or USA Women's Basketball, that was able to beat any of Paige's teams. She wants four championships but Paige will have three of her four at UCONN. So she must attend UCONN in order to secure four championships. Which would be five for us, the fans.
  • June 2018 North Tartans (Bueckers) 79 vs. Fairfax Stars (Fudd) 66 in Minneapolis
  • 2018 USA Basketball 3x3 U18 Women’s National Championship Results: Bueckers' team wins
OK! Just messing with ya! ;):rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
and more

“I’m just excited to learn," Fudd said. "[Auriemma] has so much knowledge and information about the game that I can’t wait to learn from him. I think that’s what I’m looking forward to most, is just being able to be there and be able to compete and get better and learn.

“I know that they will be able to push me and get the most out of me,” Fudd said. “I have goals of playing in the WNBA, being on the Olympic team. So I just know that being at UConn with them as my coaches and then also competing with the best in practice everyday, it will get me to be the player I want to be.

and Azzi more explicit with how Paige recruited hard (but not too hard)

Bueckers stayed with the Fudd family during part of quarantine, and when the two would scrimmage together, Bueckers would be sure to let Fudd know that “'you saw those passes I was getting to you? Well, you’d be getting those for three years if you come to UConn,'” Fudd recalls. Bueckers also made a highlight reel of her best passes from high school games so that she could show her best friend, “'see, that could be you in the corner instead of so-and-so'" if they played together collegiately.

Reaction Score
Lots of people are asking "What is it about UConn that attract all those elite players?" Well, the answers were provided by Fudd and Bueckers as posted RockyMTblue2. “Right away, you could tell that it was just different there,” Fudd recently told The Courant. “The way they went about their business and handled their business, it was just different." Gianna Bryant would also have gone to UConn had she not gone on that fatal plane ride. Kobe and Gianna were Geno's frequent guests.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
and more

“I’m just excited to learn," Fudd said. "[Auriemma] has so much knowledge and information about the game that I can’t wait to learn from him. I think that’s what I’m looking forward to most, is just being able to be there and be able to compete and get better and learn.

“I know that they will be able to push me and get the most out of me,” Fudd said. “I have goals of playing in the WNBA, being on the Olympic team. So I just know that being at UConn with them as my coaches and then also competing with the best in practice everyday, it will get me to be the player I want to be. And Azzi more explicit with how Paige recruited hard (but not too hard).

Bueckers stayed with the Fudd family during part of quarantine, and when the two would scrimmage together, Bueckers would be sure to let Fudd know that “'you saw those passes I was getting to you? Well, you’d be getting those for three years if you come to UConn,'” Fudd recalls. Bueckers also made a highlight reel of her best passes from high school games so that she could show her best friend, “'see, that could be you in the corner instead of so-and-so'" if they played together collegiately.

"“I’m just excited to learn," Fudd said. "[Auriemma] has so much knowledge and information about the game that I can’t wait to learn from him. I think that’s what I’m looking forward to most, is just being able to be there and be able to compete and get better and learn".

Azzi had to be reading the boneyard with regularity over the summer. This is exactly what we were saying. If you want to be the best, it would help if you were coached by the best. Go through a proven program that has more championships than any other program, and whose players are highly coveted by every WNBA GM and head coach.

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
All this 4 Championship stuff really has me worried about "schadenfreude" so all of you please STOP. You know how incredibly hard that is? Add in the fact we have a young team with no seniors, only 4 players who have donned the court in a UConn jersey and the loss of our top 2 scorers from last year. I know Stewie said it and it has become legendary but even Diana or Maya could pull that feat off...let's give them some room and understand their saying it is a bit premature.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I think the thing that put Azzi over the top for coming to UConn (even more so than the knowledge possessed by Geno and the coaching staff) was the immense wealth of knowledge to be found here on the Boneyard. :)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In terms of being amazed by Geno’s knowledge and wanting to pick his brain, that’s exactly what Elena Delle Donne said as part of the 2016 Olympic team. Pretty much everyone thinks the same thing.
Elena said at the time "he is the sun and I'm just basking in it" or some close facsimile!

Found it: "And it’s been great. I feel like he’s the sun and I’m just trying to soak in all that knowledge."

Delle Donne Fits In With the Best

She also said: “There are so many great coaches out there but there aren’t always great teachers,” she said, “and that’s something that’s always struck me about him -- how great he is at getting his point across, and just continuing to teach. "

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programing. :)

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I seem to recall similar sentiments from Brittney Griner

The only quote I could find was

Or as Brittney Griner -- who like Delle Donne and Breanna Stewart is a first-time Olympian -- said, "With someone like Coach [Auriemma] and the players we have on our team, you're always learning something.

Reaction Score
Sounds pretty good. Like the vision she has for herself. Love the fact that she speaks highly of Coach and the coaching staff. I mean, I am bias. Geno is that dude!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom