Azzi's Press Conference | The Boneyard

Azzi's Press Conference

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She and Christyn were offered up to the hungry mob after the first day of practice. The audio is pretty horrible. Two snippets in Azzi's half caught my ear. She said that Caroline and her were best friends, probably from the 7th grade. Later she dropped this: Caroline was "probably the reason I came here and I'm excited to play with her." (this 2d bit around 20:40)

Wonder what Paige thinks of that information?

Reaction Score
She and Christyn were offered up to the hungry mob after the first day of practice. The audio is pretty horrible. Two snippets in Azzi's half caught my ear. She said that Caroline and her were best friends, probably from the 7th grade. Later she dropped this: Caroline was "probably the reason I came here and I'm excited to play with her." (this 2d bit around 20:40)

Having more than one day to celebrate a birthday (like a month) or having a dozen "best" friends is a millennial thing. Paige gets it.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice backdrop. Diana approves this message

1633802876541.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score

The Closed Caption tool is helpful

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score

Just a slight point of clarification - it was towards the end and she said when talking about Caroline "she's part of the reason I came here - and I'm super excited to get to play with her".

She refers to Caroline several times as a "sneaky" player. I think by that she means sneaky good at doing whatever it is that Caroline does (shoot, pass, defend, etc.).

Reaction Score
Just a slight point of clarification - it was towards the end and she said when talking about Caroline "she's part of the reason I came here - and I'm super excited to get to play with her".

She refers to Caroline several times as a "sneaky" player. I think by that she means sneaky good at doing whatever it is that Caroline does (shoot, pass, defend, etc.).
I think she is being on message since that is the description Geno used to for Caroline too..

Reaction Score
I think she is being on message since that is the description Geno used to for Caroline too..
During the summer session, Paige also referred to Caroline as 'sneaky good', and labeled her the 'silent assassin'.

Reaction Score
anyone that seen Caroline play knows she is not a sleeper. She would have cracked the starting lineup if Westbrook left to the Wnba. She has a strong mentality and she is one of the players I see playing late in games that are tight in the tournament. I think she will be more ready when it comes to game feel than Azzi.

Reaction Score
With her length, if Caroline can defend the perimeter, watch out come March. Perimeter defense was 1 of UConn's weaknesses last year.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
With her length, if Caroline can defend the perimeter, watch out come March. Perimeter defense was 1 of UConn's weaknesses last year.
I agree with you. Length is a great asset to have as a perimeter defender but not nearly as important as a great pair of feet and the ability to move them quickly laterally. I'm not implying that Caroline doesn't have that required lateral quickness just pointing out that it is more important than length. I don't think this team can afford to wait until March to improve the perimeter defense. UCONN perimeter defense is going to be tested in game one against Arkansas.

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to see what her skill is defending the perimeter. In her highschool team, she was like the tallest player and typically defended down low in the film I've seen.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
anyone that seen Caroline play knows she is not a sleeper. She would have cracked the starting lineup if Westbrook left to the Wnba. She has a strong mentality and she is one of the players I see playing late in games that are tight in the tournament. I think she will be more ready when it comes to game feel than Azzi.
So you don't think Geno, Paige and Azzi have seen Caroline play? I disagree with you- Had Evina not return Aaliyah, Azzi, and Dorka were far more likely candidates for that vacated starting position than Caroline would have been.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
REALLY love how she talked about how her relationship with her parents has changed since they're no longer her coaches. It sounds like her parents have really bought into the UCONN system too.
Azzis mom played against us at Georgetown, so she knows Azzi is in good hands up here.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
So you don't think Geno, Paige and Azzi have seen Caroline play? I disagree with you- Had Evina not return Aaliyah, Azzi, and Dorka were far more likely candidates for that vacated starting position than Caroline would have been.
Maybe you are underestimating CDs abilities, she appears to be Ann Strother 2.0, but we'll soon see. Geno, Paige, and Azzi all gave the same evaluation of her, Sneaky Good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maybe you are underestimating CDs abilities, she appears to be Ann Strother 2.0, but we'll soon see. Geno, Paige, and Azzi all gave the same evaluation of her, Sneaky Good.
I'm not underestimating Caroline at all. I was responding to @jchuskie post which stated "anyone that seen Caroline play knows she is not a sleeper." My point was exactly what you are stating- Geno ,Paige and Azzi are the ones calling Caroline a sleeper and I'm pretty sure they have all seen Caroline play. BTW Carla Berube was the comparison Geno threw out for Caroline which is a much better comparison vs Ann Strother IMO.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
I'm not underestimating Caroline at all. I was responding to @jchuskie post which stated "anyone that seen Caroline play knows she is not a sleeper." My point was exactly what you are stating- Geno ,Paige and Azzi are the ones calling Caroline a sleeper and I'm pretty sure they have all seen Caroline play. BTW Carla Berube was the comparison Geno threw out for Caroline which is a much better comparison vs Ann Strother IMO.
Sometimes my eyes read faster thn my brain, and sometimes days it's the other way around. As far as the comparison I'm thkn CD may be a better shooter thn CB, but once again..mea culpa

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom