Azzi SZN loading | The Boneyard

Azzi SZN loading

Reaction Score
Azzi's NPOY season is loading - she will be returning to a monster All American candidate herself - Aaliyah Edwards, Nations assist leader - Nika Muhl and a Surging Lopez-Senechal who will benefit (as I said and stand by, in previous posts) from her being on the floor to free up space. Ducharme and Griffin hoover in the wings and UConn is heading into BE play with a strong 2022 campaign despite their toughest schedule to date.

Happy New Year

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I can’t believe someone red thumbed @AzzisBraids post. What for? Praising azzi or Nika or the rest of the team? Seems a bit trollish
One aspect I dislike about this board, and clearly @CocoHusky feels the same, are people that red thumb regularly yet otherwise have little or nothing to contribute. I personally find that kind of person repulsive. I for one also find the red thumb more than obnoxious. If you disagree with a post, why not call the person out with a post of your own, stating (hopefully cogently and precisely) which areas you disagree and why? After all, this is a discussion board, not a popularity contest.

Reaction Score
Azzi's NPOY season is loading - she will be returning to a monster All American candidate herself - Aaliyah Edwards, Nations assist leader - Nika Muhl and a Surging Lopez-Senechal who will benefit (as I said and stand by, in previous posts) from her being on the floor to free up space. Ducharme and Griffin hoover in the wings and UConn is heading into BE play with a strong 2022 campaign despite their toughest schedule to date.

Happy New Year
I can’t believe someone red thumbed @AzzisBraids post. What for? Praising azzi or Nika or the rest of the team? Seems a bit trollish
I can't speak for the individual that "disliked" his/her post, but my guess it could possibly be from the highlighted section above, that's where I would dislike it as well. The poster for whatever reason always includes "Lou who will benefit from having Azzi on the floor at same time" (to paraphrase). Perhaps he/she can elaborate on the last 5 games (including the ND where Azzi got injured) why Lou has maintained her scoring average even though Azzi has not been on the floor, what other player is Lou benefitting from besides Azzi?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I assume you mean Ducharme and Griffin will be vacuuming the boards or sucking up the points or something similar.:rolleyes:
Either that or investigate opponents…

Reaction Score
As far as NPOY goes for Azzi.... I think that ship has sailed as she will ultimately have missed too much time.
Tend to agree, as it’s hard enough to change the media hype surrounding players put in the conversation for NPOY preseason. If Azzi comes back and continues the same level of play, I could see her receiving votes. Especially if Uconn goes undefeated after she returns, with a big win over South Carolina. The argument could be that Uconn is the best team in the country when healthy. Azzi being the best player. Only two losses being against Maryland and ND when she wasn’t available for the full games. A lot would have to go right for that to materialize. She’d also have to return soon, as too much missed time buries your chances.

Reaction Score
Isn't the NPOY decided before the NC game, iirc? But maybe a dominant run to the Final Four will serve the same purpose.

JordyG

Reaction Score
I can't speak for the individual that "disliked" his/her post, but my guess it could possibly be from the highlighted section above, that's where I would dislike it as well. The poster for whatever reason always includes "Lou who will benefit from having Azzi on the floor at same time" (to paraphrase). Perhaps he/she can elaborate on the last 5 games (including the ND where Azzi got injured) why Lou has maintained her scoring average even though Azzi has not been on the floor, what other player is Lou benefitting from besides Azzi?
The problem is Lou has committed a lot of TO's because her ball handling responsibilities on the perimeter have increased. Since teams know this many have pressured at the perimeter, forcing Lou (and Nika) to make poor entry passes, which in turn have led to TO's, which has led to baskets by the opposing teams. Once Azzi returns much of that responsibility on the perimeter will fall back on her, as well as Nika of course. So yes, not only will it free up space but free Lou from some ball handling duities. That is why I agreed with AzzisBraids post. It's a shame these random red thumb bombers don't, at least, have the skills or the gumption to express their disagreements as well as you.

Reaction Score
The problem is Lou has committed a lot of TO's because her ball handling responsibilities on the perimeter have increased. Since teams know this many have pressured at the perimeter, forcing Lou (and Nika) to make poor entry passes, which in turn have led to TO's, which has led to baskets by the opposing teams. Once Azzi returns much of that responsibility on the perimeter will fall back on her, as well as Nika of course. So yes, not only will it free up space but free Lou from some ball handling duities. That is why I agreed with AzzisBraids post. It's a shame these random red thumb bombers don't, at least, have the skills or the gumption to express their disagreements as well as you.
Since Azzi went down in the ND game, Lou's (16) TO are no more or less than Nika (15), Aaliyah (16) and Ducharme (20) [only top 4 players in TO listed]. Nika's 15 TO's were accrued in one less game (she sat out for the Maryland game) than the others. Personally pitting one player against another is ridiculous anyway, considering it's a team sport. To me they either win or lose as one. It's up to the coaches to decide how they dole out players and minutes. Don't get me wrong, I want Azzi back like all the others here.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Since Azzi went down in the ND game, Lou's (16) TO are no more or less than Nika (15), Aaliyah (16) and Ducharme (20) [only top 4 players in TO listed]. Nika's 15 TO's were accrued in one less game (she sat out for the Maryland game) than the others. Personally pitting one player against another is ridiculous anyway, considering it's a team sport. To me they either win or lose as one. It's up to the coaches to decide how they dole out players and minutes. Don't get me wrong, I want Azzi back like all the others here.
Yes, Lou's TO's are no more than the three that have committed the most TO's on the team. Again, I say it's because of the increased pressure on the perimeter. Note the amount of TO's before Azzi was hurt and after. Lou had 10 TO's in the 6 1/2 games with Azzi and 11 in the 4 1/2 games since. Azzi's return should significantly alleviate her TO's as well as the entire team's.

JordyG

Reaction Score
By the way, I just picked up a beautiful recording of McGegan doing Rameau's Orchestral Suites which are lovely, and Jakub Hrusa doing Hans Rott Symphony No. 1, which is occasionally very good, occasionally mundane. Try some samples here: Presto Music | All things musical… on your doorstep

Reaction Score
Tend to agree, as it’s hard enough to change the media hype surrounding players put in the conversation for NPOY preseason. If Azzi comes back and continues the same level of play, I could see her receiving votes. Especially if Uconn goes undefeated after she returns, with a big win over South Carolina. The argument could be that Uconn is the best team in the country when healthy. Azzi being the best player. Only two losses being against Maryland and ND when she wasn’t available for the full games. A lot would have to go right for that to materialize. She’d also have to return soon, as too much missed time buries your chances.
2 close games lost on the road, that might have been won if Azi was there!

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
To remedy the irony behind this and your previous post, perhaps you should have the “gumption” to PM @KingKong139 to find out the reason behind the red thumb, or at least hashtag him in your castigation. A hint, I do not believe it was about the strawman point of ball handling. I have never used the red thumb myself, but I can think of understandable reasons to use it and, ironically again, I believe @CocoHusky has used it a couple of times as well.

Reaction Score
One aspect I dislike about this board, and clearly @CocoHusky feels the same, are people that red thumb regularly yet otherwise have little or nothing to contribute. I personally find that kind of person repulsive. I for one also find the red thumb more than obnoxious. If you disagree with a post, why not call the person out with a post of your own, stating (hopefully cogently and precisely) which areas you disagree and why? After all, this is a discussion board, not a popularity contest.
Agree 100%. I've gotten the red thumb several times for no understandable reason. When I've asked why the red thumber never has had "courage" (substitute for another word that would cause me trouble) to explain themselves yet on other occasions when I suspect I'll get one right after I click <Post reply>, I don't. I guess the negative Nancys only read selective posts.

Reaction Score
Right on,@ mbr33ct.

Reaction Score
I think Azzi's return will be mutually beneficial to the team and the teams development while she has been out will benefit her game as well. Bottom line with her back they are going to be a very tough out.

Lou has shown that she can take the pressure of being the focus of the defense and with Azzi back that won't be the case so she should get a bit more space to get up her shots ( which she has shown she is incredibly accurate at finishing). Both being on the floor together will be mutually beneficial - the defense has to pick their poison.

Nika has demonstrated that she can handle the pressure of the ball handling while still finding her teammates to lead the country in assists/game. With Azzi along side her we have another very solid ball handler and possibly the best target for an assist in wcbb - resulting in less defensive pressure on either of them and even more team offensive efficiency.

Aubrey and Caroline should both benefit form the return to a full roster as whether in with either or both of Lou and Azzi, they will not be the focus of the defense and should be more able to do the things they do best.

Aaliyah and Dorka will both benefit from the increase of the offensive threat from the outside, opening up the inside more for each to operate. Couple that with a lot of give and go opportunities with Azzi's drives.

Azzi's return won't really negatively impact anyone's role, it conversely compliments and enhances all the positives, individually and collectively, the team has shown in her absence. Icing on the cake of what the team has done to date. All this is in regards to the offensive side of the game, couple that with an expected reduction in turnovers and better defensive flow ( which I think is very reasonable to expect based on the time before her injury) and this team has a really high ceiling. Can't wait for her return!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Jakub Hrusa doing Hans Rott Symphony No. 1, which is occasionally very good, occasionally mundane.
Hi, JordyG, how's that compare with Paavo Jarvi's Frankfurt Radio Symphony's rendition ?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Hi, JordyG, how's that compare with Paavo Jarvi's Frankfurt Radio Symphony's rendition ?
Of the Rott? Haven't heard it. But thanks for putting me on, I'll give a hard listen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom