Azzi Fudd - Reluctant Star - Overrated or Pippen? | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd - Reluctant Star - Overrated or Pippen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Honest, mostly fair.

Is Azzi a sidekick? That’s really an unfair question, since she and Paige will play side by side all year long. I’m sure they’ll trade off having brilliant games. The question wasn’t well posed in this form.

But it is fair to say that she is (as Geno says) a reluctant superstar. UConn needs her to be more than this. As I see it, this is her year to show exactly how much more she can be.

Azzi and Paige will have to share the limelight with each other and with so many great teammates that their stardom won’t simply appear in stats. But if they enable each other to make UConn a dominating team, we’ll all know it and celebrate it.

If Ice has a breakout game, or Ashlynn or Qadence or Aubrey or Caroline, we’ll all recognize how Paige and Azzi helped make it possible. Every double-double they have will have Paige and Azzi’s fingerprints all over it.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’m an ardent supporter of my local girl. She hasn’t reached her potential, largely due to injuries. Her accomplishments are limited because she missed so many games and played hurt in so many others. Her rankings are based largely on her abilities and what she has done when healthy. Ask the opposing coaches what they think, because their game plans usually focus on Azzi. When she is on the floor, she changes everything.

Azzi does need more confidence and aggressiveness to supplement her talent. I hope some of those qualities will rub off on her from Paige, Geno, and Steph.

Reaction Score
IMHO Azzi is a wonderful person and a fantastic basketball player. She is the type of
person/player that UCONN WBB benefits from having in the family as she benefits from
being at the U of Conn. I have already "rated" her as one of my favorites!!!! GO UCONN!
Go Azzi! Enjoy the ride!!

Reaction Score
If Paige and Azzi each average 18 pts/g, they won't set any records or lead the nation, but UConn will dominate. It will be difficult for them to average more given the team they play for. Aaliyah can average 20+/g -- that's possible. And if Paige and Azzi each add 4 assists and 3 rebounds/g, we'll all see that as a wonderful season at Storrs. That's what NCs are built on.

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Love these women!!!! I think Azzi only lacks game rhythm. The kid hasn't had a stretch where her comfort has been able to become game driven. Situational success needs time to develop. Sure she can shoot and has had flashes of brilliance, but nagging injuries and lack of physical comfort have taken it's toll. I pray these kids have a long stretch of injury free play and get into a zone where they are comfortable in moves, running, jumping, bumping etc etc, without fear of injury.
Face it! These kids are wounded vets who need an in game fearless play longevity. They're going to gel and be successful like we know they are capable of being.

Have fun and play healthy!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything else is a given. #12 on horizon.

Reaction Score
UConn WBB never won a national championship during a season that a player averaged over 20 points per game.

Fudd and Paige would gladly average less than 20 points per game, if it meant the team would have a greater chance to win the national championship.

Gabby Williams proved that individual statistics should not be the only metric for All American status. Gabby showed up in the biggest games on national TV. Voters saw Gabby's performances were greater than her statistical averages.

Who knows. Fudd might pull a KML and score the last 7 points in a national championship game victory for UConn.

Reaction Score
Was Sue Bird Diana's Pippin?
I think Azzi needs to get as serious about her health as Paige has. That will give Azzi more confidence and help keep her on the court.
Azzi is an excellent player but she's no Paige.....but then...who is?

Reaction Score
I like this Azzi video better. ESPN actually ran this on their site after the Texas game -- the first few seconds is a little fuzzy. Be sure to turn the volume up!

The bench appears to succumb to celebration fatigue by the 4th quarter. And on her last shot, Texas looks a bit beaten down by Azzi.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
It will take time for our former injured to get up to speed. Playing this tuff schedule will force them to become focused on playing the game and while not being concerned about what they did wrong. Deferring to Paige is a concern however Paige is not a ball hog and shares the ball. Paige much like Diana gets everybody involved. Azzi Caroline and everybody else will benefit from it which will make their confidence grow.

Azzi has the tools and looks good doing it. I feel with Paige's presence and ability to find Azzi will grow Azzi's confidence and make her the player we all can see. Geno has the vision to see it before it happens and Geno is very good at seeing it first then developing those players into what he saw before the players themselves saw it. A great story is when Disney World was finished a local politician said to Walt's son Gee its to bad that Walt wasnt here to see this.. Walts son replied Excuse me sir if my dad hadnt seen it first then it wouldnt have been built. I see that same vision in Geno. Geno has the ability to see things before they happen.

Reaction Score
I like this Azzi video better. ESPN actually ran this on their site after the Texas game -- the first few seconds is a little fuzzy. Be sure to turn the volume up!

The bench appears to succumb to celebration fatigue by the 4th quarter. And on her last shot, Texas looks a bit beaten down by Azzi.
Note the "non call" on that "flop" by Texas!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“Potential” Superstar.
No Way Wow GIF

Reaction Score
Tough crowd. She could have gone anywhere, and she chose UCONN. And I'm thrilled that she did. And to be fair when it comes to ALL UCONN players. It's hard to come from doing everything to fitting into a system where many skills overlap. Fitting in is harder than you think. A player such as Clark would not be dropping 30 and 40 at UCONN because she wouldn't need to. Go Azzi.

sun

Reaction Score
It's unfair to rate Azzi against more senior players.
She has shown some consistency issues but she works within the UConn system & does what she's asked.
She may very well end up being the best shooter on the team.
When she gets hot, she can get very hot.
I couldn't watch the video on ESPN but found it on youtube.

Reaction Score
Rating players is a reflection of expectations. Our expectations for Azzi are better than #11 but past injuries weigh on the rating.

Reaction Score
To be honest, we don’t know yet. We have been jaded by her potential, but she has been off the court more than on the court. Hopefully, this year, we find out!

Reaction Score
Tough crowd. She could have gone anywhere, and she chose UCONN. And I'm thrilled that she did. And to be fair when it comes to ALL UCONN players. It's hard to come from doing everything to fitting into a system where many skills overlap. Fitting in is harder than you think. A player such as Clark would not be dropping 30 and 40 at UCONN because she wouldn't need to. Go Azzi.
Paige needed to ( and did) her freshman year in at least one home game,

Orc

Reaction Score
Ive never seen a talent like Fudd defer so much. She is indeed a reluctant superstar

Reaction Score
Agree. UConn WBB has not yet won a national championship with any player averaging over 20 points per game. Maya averaged over 20 her senior season, but UConn lost in the national semifinals.

Every coach and player on opposing teams know Caitlin Clark needs to score for Iowa to win. Stopping her consistently has proven to be impossible. So far.

WNBA greats have complimented both Clark and Bueckers as generational. Time will tell if Azzi joins them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom