Azzi Fudd--in person | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd--in person

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I drove out to St. John's College High School at the edge of D.C. to watch Azzi and her team play against Elizabeth Seton, a decent local squad. To say I was impressed would be a gross understatement.

I should preface this by saying that I'm no expert (as many of you know). I saw 2 of Maya's Collins Hill games (against nationally ranked teams that included Tiffany Hayes and Khadijah Russian) on DVD, Charde's team, Kaleena's team (ironically, also against Seton), De'Janae's team, and 3 high school All-American games (Bria's year, Saniya's year, and Meg's year). So, while I haven't seen many games, I have seen some good teams and great players.

Some stats to start: St. John's won by about 88-60. Azzi missed a few minutes in the second quarter because of foul trouble--a perfect fit for UConn. She sat out the last 4 minutes or so, because her team was up 34. I think she played about 24 minutes of the 32-minute game. These may not be exact, but here's my tally: 10-13 inside the arc, 5-7 from the arc, and 4-4 from the line. (Her FTs didn't touch the rim.) That's 39 points, 22 in the first half. She had 20 points in the first 10 minutes.

A few plays:

On one fast break, she outran the defender, took a pass in stride, and made the layup.

On defense, she stood around, didn't box out, gave up an offensive rebound and put-back. (She's not perfect.)

She made a nice 2-handed tip of a pass on defense that led to a steal a la Gabby (with less elevation).

Azzi made a sick crossover dribble and layup that had the people sitting near me gasping.

She made a very nice lob pass to Dikembe Mutombo's niece for a score.

On one contested fast break, she dished to a teammate who was fairly well defended but was probably better off shooting it herself, using her size. I thought it showed that she was unselfish.

On one drive into the lane, she drew the defense and dished with her left hand to a teammate for a corner three. It was a high-level college play.

She also made a difficult scoop shot with contact, plus the FT.

Her shot selection was very good. From the arc, a few pull-ups, and drives.

When Azzi was on the bench, she was chatting with coaches but also was very involved in the game. She was cheering a lot and seems like a great teammate.

Azzi seems to have a fairly wide shoulders. She looks trimmer than Kaleena during K's light period (sophomore year). She doesn't have the carriage or musculature of Maya, but Azzi is barely 15. She's taller than Bria Hartley. :) I've seen Azzi listed at 5'10" and 5'11". I'd say those are accurate. She's not 6', at least not yet.

Azzi's handle is very good, at least at this level. I didn't see a lot of rebounding. Her defense was decent, but not extraordinary. On the offensive end, it's hard not to use superlatives. She's as gifted an offensive player as I've seen, with the possible exception of Maya. Tonight, I thought she compared to Kaleena and Charde in their senior years. Her shot is picture-perfect. Though her form is slightly different from Kaleena's, I see similarities. I think she resembles a lean KML more than a Maya or Diana. Like Christyn Williams, Azzi Fudd is a scoring machine. She does remind me of when I watched Maya in her first year at UConn and I constantly thought, "She's way better than everybody else." People who give out awards need to pay attention to Azzi. She may be as good as anyone, including the big name juniors and seniors. By the time she finishes high school, she'll have an incredible resume. We'll be watching her for another 20 years. I'll go back to watch her as soon as I can.

People sitting near me asked, "Where did she come from?" "She's only a freshman??"

Just before the end of the game, I spotted Sue Semrau sitting in the front row near me. As I passed by, I said, "She's really good, Sue, isn't she?" Her reply, "She's ridiculous." I didn't need to clarify who "she" is.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Outstanding report. Thanks.
It was a pleasure. Kids like Azzi don't come around very often. I hope to see lots of her games. It really feels like watching UConn when Maya was a freshman.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Are there any good clues as to her interest level in UConn?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I hadn't been paying close enough attention. St. John's lost to Archbishop Mitty of Calif. in the Nike TOC back in December. That's their only loss. According to USA Today, the top 2 teams in the nation are (1) Mitty and (2) St. John's.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
For shame. Azzi had 41 again, not 39.

I expect better out of you Milford....;)
I must have missed a hoop when I was chatting. But Azzi didn't miss very many hoops.

So, she tied her career high. Based on her start, I was thinking 50 was possible. But it's hard to score sitting on the bench with 2 fouls.

Not many frosh put up 41.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Are there any good clues as to her interest level in UConn?
I don't know if Azzi has a list. Her mother (charting shots on her iPad not far from where I was sitting) played at Georgetown. Her father (an assistant coach) played at American University. They know what's going on. Geno has been on campus already.

I have read that Brenda Freese offered Azzi when she was in 6th grade. I have no idea if Jeff Walz has offered her. My guess would be in the affirmative. As noted, the Florida State head coach was at the game tonight. Azzi could be the most recruited player since Elena or Maya.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
From the SJC Twitter page:

Azzi Fudd - 41pts, 2rbs, 1stl, 2blk, 4ast

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I drove out to St. John's College High School at the edge of D.C. to watch Azzi and her team play against Elizabeth Seton, a decent local squad. To say I was impressed would be a gross understatement.

I should preface this by saying that I'm no expert (as many of you know). I saw 2 of Maya's Collins Hill games (against nationally ranked teams that included Tiffany Hayes and Khadijah Russian) on DVD, Charde's team, Kaleena's team (ironically, also against Seton), De'Janae's team, and 3 high school All-American games (Bria's year, Saniya's year, and Meg's year). So, while I haven't seen many games, I have seen some good teams and great players.

Some stats to start: St. John's won by about 88-60. Azzi missed a few minutes in the second quarter because of foul trouble--a perfect fit for UConn. She sat out the last 4 minutes or so, because her team was up 34. I think she played about 24 minutes of the 32-minute game. These may not be exact, but here's my tally: 10-13 inside the arc, 5-7 from the arc, and 4-4 from the line. (Her FTs didn't touch the rim.) That's 39 points, 22 in the first half. She had 20 points in the first 10 minutes.

A few plays:

On one fast break, she outran the defender, took a pass in stride, and made the layup.

On defense, she stood around, didn't box out, gave up an offensive rebound and put-back. (She's not perfect.)

She made a nice 2-handed tip of a pass on defense that led to a steal a la Gabby (with less elevation).

Azzi made a sick crossover dribble and layup that had the people sitting near me gasping.

She made a very nice lob pass to Dikembe Mutombo's niece for a score.

On one contested fast break, she dished to a teammate who was fairly well defended but was probably better off shooting it herself, using her size. I thought it showed that she was unselfish.

On one drive into the lane, she drew the defense and dished with her left hand to a teammate for a corner three. It was a high-level college play.

She also made a difficult scoop shot with contact, plus the FT.

Her shot selection was very good. From the arc, a few pull-ups, and drives.

When Azzi was on the bench, she was chatting with coaches but also was very involved in the game. She was cheering a lot and seems like a great teammate.

Azzi seems to have a fairly wide shoulders. She looks trimmer than Kaleena during K's light period (sophomore year). She doesn't have the carriage or musculature of Maya, but Azzi is barely 15. She's taller than Bria Hartley. :) I've seen Azzi listed at 5'10" and 5'11". I'd say those are accurate. She's not 6', at least not yet.

Azzi's handle is very good, at least at this level. I didn't see a lot of rebounding. Her defense was decent, but not extraordinary. On the offensive end, it's hard not to use superlatives. She's as gifted an offensive player as I've seen, with the possible exception of Maya. Tonight, I thought she compared to Kaleena and Charde in their senior years. Her shot is picture-perfect. Though her form is slightly different from Kaleena's, I see similarities. I think she resembles a lean KML more than a Maya or Diana. Like Christyn Williams, Azzi Fudd is a scoring machine. She does remind me of when I watched Maya in her first year at UConn and I constantly thought, "She's way better than everybody else." People who give out awards need to pay attention to Azzi. She may be as good as anyone, including the big name juniors and seniors. By the time she finishes high school, she'll have an incredible resume. We'll be watching her for another 20 years. I'll go back to watch her as soon as I can.

People sitting near me asked, "Where did she come from?" "She's only a freshman??"

Just before the end of the game, I spotted Sue Semrau sitting in the front row near me. As I passed by, I said, "She's really good, Sue, isn't she?" Her reply, "She's ridiculous." I didn't need to clarify who "she" is.
Typical Mil. Insightful and thorough. Thanks. Nice visuals for those of us not in attendance.

Now, how about a full page Paige?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Typical Mil. Insightful and thorough. Thanks. Nice visuals for those of us not in attendance.

Now, how about a full page Paige?
Paige is in Minnesota. That’s a tough one. Would you take a Sam Brunelle and a Natalie Butler?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Fudd hit 6 threes on Friday so that makes 11 over her last two games.
MaxPreps lists the SJC scores, including by quarter, but the link to a box score doesn’t really give a box. I’d be curious about her season stats. She looks like a 50/40/90 shooter. Last night, she was en fuego, playing within herself. She was at something like 76/71/100. I know—it’s silly good. It didn’t take long for me to expect every shot to go in. I could watch her shoot all day/night long.

From one game, especially a good shooting game, it’s hard to draw conclusions, but, to me, she compares to Charde and Kaleena when they were seniors. She doesn’t impact the game as broadly as Maya did as a senior, but Azzi is only a freshman.

I don’t have a lot of familiarity with freshmen. Azzi’s season seems to compare to Christyn Williams’s strong start. Among boys, I remember reading about Gene Banks in Philly and John Williamson in New Haven when they were sophomores. Banks dominated physically, because he was 6’8” and 235 at age 15.

Jordy et al. may remember that there was a NYC high school game of the week on TV back in the 1960s. Power Memorial was very, very good. They had a couple of upperclassmen guards who were among the best in the city. They also had a very tall freshman who obviously was going to be special. Lew Alcindor (Kareem) was a strong defender and a nice complement to the guards, but he wasn’t the dominant player on the team in his first year. Though SJC has Dikembe Mutomobo’s niece (the #29 player from 2019) on the team, it’s clear that Azzi is the dominant player on her team.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

This is a different game, but the silky smooth jumper is the same. You can also see her quick hands, strong handle, and good speed. Mutombo has some good plays too.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
MaxPreps lists the SJC scores, including by quarter, but the link to a box score doesn’t really give a box. I’d be curious about her season stats. She looks like a 50/40/90 shooter.

The only game I've seen her play she was 4-5 from three and the one miss went in and out.

But if this video means anything I'm going with 90%.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Let's remember that she has been at 2 UConn games this season...an exhibition game and against ND.
Throw in the presence at both of those games of one Paige Buecker.

Great job MH....go again!

MH: project ahead....at the college level what position will she play?

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know if Azzi has a list. Her mother (charting shots on her iPad not far from where I was sitting) played at Georgetown. Her father (an assistant coach) played at American University. They know what's going on. Geno has been on campus already.

I have read that Brenda Freese offered Azzi when she was in 6th grade. I have no idea if Jeff Walz has offered her. My guess would be in the affirmative. As noted, the Florida State head coach was at the game tonight. Azzi could be the most recruited player since Elena or Maya.

Very informative reports. Just to add some information from a school in northern Indiana:
- Azzi has been to the Notre Dame campus (during "Niele-fest," where some 12 prospects of 2019, 2020 and 2021 were present). She "ran" into Skylar Diggins during said visit. Sky and husband still live in South Bend during the WNBA off-season and are often on-campus.
- ND is very familiar with St. John's, given that it's the alma mater of Lindsay Allen.

Since Azzi was named after one of the greatest hoopsters out of Stanford, one might think there is some kind of (mutual) interest there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a pleasure. Kids like Azzi don't come around very often. I hope to see lots of her games. It really feels like watching UConn when Maya was a freshman.
Milford: A couple of comments;
1. She is not a Uconn type---standing around, not playing defense as a Frosh--on second thought , Maybe.
2. You lucky son of a gun--I lived in the DC area, but nothing like this was around then.
3. I hope Geno hands here, with his scholarship offer, a list of expectations and physical training drills
so she is not "shocked" as a frosh.
4. Fantastic presentation on Ms Aizz!! Thanks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom