Azzi Fudd CAREER HIGH 32 Point Masterpiece Leads #5 UConn Huskies In Win Over #3 Texas Longhorns | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd CAREER HIGH 32 Point Masterpiece Leads #5 UConn Huskies In Win Over #3 Texas Longhorns

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
I hope this isn't a pattern, but Azzi seems to be a slow starter. In two games, she is 0 for 10 on 3-pointers in the first half, and 5 for 6 in the second half. I seem to remember Paige having a similar problem. Perhaps it is related to pre-game warm ups. Or perhaps the next game she will come knocking down shots from the start. Just an observation.

Reaction Score
What surprises me is that she has these super rapid scoring binges that look so easy, I can't understand why she does not have 50.
I was thinking after last night's game, would Geno let her get 50?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I was thinking after last night's game, would Geno let her get 50?
Sort answer... yes.

Longer answer - yes... if it was needed. Clearly you want to get the rest of the team involved but... If Azzi has the hot and AND is open for the first good available shot, I think Geno would let her shoot all night long.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Sort answer... yes.

Longer answer - yes... if it was needed. Clearly you want to get the rest of the team involved but... If Azzi has the hot and AND is open for the first good available shot, I think Geno would let her shoot all night long.
I’ll be interested to see if she is allowed to break Nykesha Sales’ single-game scoring record of 46 points that has stood since December 1997.

Reaction Score
I’ll be interested to see if she is allowed to break Nykesha Sales’ single-game scoring record of 46 points that has stood since December 1997.
Very interesting question Carnac!! I'd guess Geno still feels a bit of a sting regarding having a hand in controlling records (and of course this pertains to Nykesha) and wouldn't try to stop a possible record setting night. I could totally see Azzi pulling it off, especially this year, before Paige returns:) Geno said he's good with her taking 20, 30, 40 shots if they are good shots. If Azzi ever did take 40 shots, she would certainly break the record. I'm certainly not predicting this, but wouldn't be shocked if amazing Azzi pulled it off!!!

Reaction Score
So am I. He didn't let Katie Lou break the record when he sat her down with 2 minutes to go in the third quarter against South Florida U . I 99% agree with Geno,but she shot lights out that game and should have been given the chance . She earned that chance. She never played again in that game. I don't know if it bothered Katie Lou, but it bothered me. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Funny but True story... my sister-in-law lives in Niantic, CT, and I don't... we often txt during big games sharing our thoughts about the game in progress. At the Half last night, she texted to ask how I liked the first half. I responded that there were some positives and that I was happy with the 5 point lead... and that Azzi needs to catch fire from 3. Some might say "Thanks Captain Obvious"... but, that's exactly what happened. Azzi had a 2nd half reminiscent of some other great basketball players of the past (i.e. Paige in 2nd half and over time vs NCST last year).

GO HUSKIES.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Trick is to do it in the 1st Q :p
To break 46, Azzi would need to average 12 points a quarter. That's only 4 threes. Very doable. But that means getting off to a fast start in the 1st. :cool: That record has stood for 25 years. I'd like to see Azzi do it, but I remain skeptical. :oops: Breanna Stewart was on pace to 46 several times, but was pulled out of the game in the 4th quarter before she got close. Stewart scored a career-high 37 points during a 93-56 victory at Temple (Jan. 11). The 37 points marked the eighth-highest single-game total in school history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To break 46, Azzi would need to average 12 points a quarter. That's only 4 threes. Very doable. But that means getting off to a fast start in the 1st. :cool: That record has stood for 25 years. I'd like to see Azzi do it, but I remain skeptical. :oops: Breanna Stewart was on pace to 46 several times, but was pulled out of the game in the 4th quarter before she got close. Stewart scored a career-high 37 points during a 93-56 victory at Temple (Jan. 11). The 37 points marked the eighth-highest single-game total in school history.
Sounds like it'd have to be one of those games Geno was talking about where we have to score 100 just to win. That's the only way he'd leave her in that long.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Sort answer... yes.

Yes, you ALWAYS want to get the rest of the team involved in the flow of the game, but......................remember what that noted scholar Herman Edwards once said...........:eek: "You play to win the game.....hello."

Winning the game comes first!!! everything else come afterwards. I can see a few games this season where Azzi will be "hot" and maybe in a warm zone so to speak, and everything she puts up goes in. When those games come, it will be interesting to see how much lee-way Geno gives her, and how many plays he runs for her. Normally when ANY player has a hot hand, they get the ball every time down court. Who better to shoot the ball than the player that's hot?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson had a 40 point game in March of 2017. She played 28 minutes. I remember that game. She was hot that night. She had 10 threes, and 6/6 FT. Had Geno left in in, she would have surely broken Sales' 46 point record. UConn won by 54, 100-46. Box score

UConn single game scoring records

Reaction Score
In his presser, Geno said he would be happy if she takes 20, 30, 40 shots as long as they are good shots and she is aggressive. She has the green light even before she leaves the locker room.
Would love to see Azzi hit higher scoring numbers but unlikely due to:
-Huskies this year have one of the best set of 3-point shooters and passers I remember. With the ball moving around so well, would be a surprise to have Azzi get enought shots.
-UConn has such as tough schedule, opposing defenses will key on her. Against the lower tier teams, Geno likley to rest Azzi and give more time to the bench.

Reaction Score
Vic S will use Azzi's performance to motivate the Longhorns... According to him, Azzi " lit them up". Embarrassing for the so-called # 3 ranked team who accordidng to Vic "played horrible defense" against Uconn. But there is nothing they can or, in the future, will be able to do. Azzi's just that good.

Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson had a 40 point game in March of 2017. She played 28 minutes. I remember that game. She was hot that night. She had 10 threes, and 6/6 FT. Had Geno left in in, she would have surely broken Sales' 46 point record. UConn won by 54, 100-46. Box score

As we know, Maya did not like Syracuse. ;)

Reaction Score

Lou's game vs South Fla was one of those where even the player can't believe what is happening. She could not miss from distance or FT line. The basket must have looked as big as an ocean to her. Every UCONN fan loved that game.

Go Huskies

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Yeah and 17 in the 4th quarter.... hard to live with...
Actually. in the telling, Azzi is getting short changed. Add in the last 1+ minutes of the 3rd Q which included a critical 3pt and 2pt (bouncing off another flopper) make and a dime pass to Aaliyah under pressure to end the 3rd, she accounted for 24 of UConn's 27 points in the last 11+ minutes.

Also, had some good defensive efforts in that period.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom