Azzi Fudd: 2019 Gatorade National POY | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Azzi Fudd: 2019 Gatorade National POY

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Let’s see how she does up in NYC in the GEICO championship. I expect another step toward legendary.
I hope this will be on ESPN, the team that she is playing is my son's Alma mater, the Centennial Bulldogs, the Nevada Class 4 high school champions for 4 years running.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I think any of the trio of Azzi, Haley, and Paige would be worthy.

Haley had a great season. No surprise there. When Mitty lost 2 games at the Nike TOC, it might have hurt her chances, even though there was illness involved, as I recall. Azzi’s team lost only once, also at the Nike TOC, by 3 to top-ranked Miami Country Day. SJC beat perennial powerhouse Paul VI, with the #5 senior Ashley Owusu. They also beat Bishop McNamara, who was in the top 6 nationally most of the season, 3x.

I’ve seen Azzi 1x as a freshman and 5x this season, including 4x in the post-season. She had 38 in the championship game, matching 28-4 Visitstion’s total. SJC played a tough schedule. I don’t know if it was better than Mitty’s, but probably comparable.

The easiest way to describe Azzi is by comparison. She’s maybe 1.5” shorter than Maya and not as strong or as good a rebounder. But she has a better handle now and probably a more accurate shot. Azzi is a trimmer version of Kaleena with better elevation. Imagine K as a high school senior but 15 lbs. lighter. That’s Azzi right now. She can get to the rim better than K could. She’s as good as K was when she was NPOY as a senior at Mater Dei. Her jump shot matches the legendary Lewis Launch. Azzi’s pull-up jumper is simply world-class, as good as Sue’s or any in the WNBA. She plays like a 20-year-old, despite being 15 or barely 16. She could be the next 3,000-point scorer and a multiple-time NCAA champion (at the right school).

Azzi is perhaps too unselfish and very much a team player. She wanted to win the championship for her senior teammates, who adore her. She plays in trademark pigtails and in some ways is just a very sweet 15-16 year-old girl. But she’s a killer on the court.

Here’s my dream UConn 3-point contest: Diana, Sue, Maya, Kaleena, and Lou. Add Azzi to the mix. She would be very competitive. She beat all the high school boys at the Steph Curry camp. The only player to beat her there was Steph, himself. Azzi wants a rematch.

Yeah, it’s highly unusual—as in never—for a sophomore to win NPOY. But she’s not a normal player and this is not a normal year.

Let’s see how she does up in NYC in the GEICO championship. I expect another step toward legendary.

"(at the right school)."

Gee, I wonder which school that might be?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The Gatorade video:

I don't recognize her with a ponytail. She has trademark pigtails on the court.

That'll soon change. Ponytail looks more age appropriate and she'll realize that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I glanced through the list of Gatorade POY award winners for a range of sports to see if anyone had won the award 3x. I found one basketball player listed, but not for basketball: Marion Jones, for track and field.

Reaction Score
Pointing it out was easy. It's the reading of it that was unpleasant :oops:
I have to hand it to you Orangutan, you come on this partisan board, not shy about your allegiance, posting in a good natured way but opening up yourself up to be piled on by the faithful.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The Gatorade video:

I don't recognize her with a ponytail. She has trademark pigtails on the court.

Not sure if that's the "most prestigious HS award".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
@JordyG, I just saw that I'm available Saturday morning for the GEICO championship game.

For UConn fans, as a reminder, Elena Delle Donne also presented the award 2 years ago at a Wizards game. The recipient was one Megan Walker.

Reaction Score
@JordyG, I just saw that I'm available Saturday morning for the GEICO championship game.

For UConn fans, as a reminder, Elena Delle Donne also presented the award 2 years ago at a Wizards game. The recipient was one Megan Walker.
EDD must be the Gatorade spokeswoman. She also presented this award to KLS in a surprise ceremony at Mater Dei High School.

Reaction Score
Maya Moore gave it to ND's Brianna Turner and Erin Boley when they win it, as well as Mercedes Russell. I used to think that Maya would do it if the winner wasn't a UConn recruit. Now it seems that it's just EDD

Reaction Score
Additional point on Azzi:

I’m not sure what her stats are. Can anyone find them? My guess, based on watching her, a few box scores, and some articles, is that she shot 60/45/90. She’s a born 50/40/90 shooter.

26.3 points 6.2 rebs 2.5 assists 1.9 blocks

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Maya Moore gave it to ND's Brianna Turner and Erin Boley when they win it, as well as Mercedes Russell. I used to think that Maya would do it if the winner wasn't a UConn recruit. Now it seems that it's just EDD
Sometimes it just works out that a former winner is in close proximity to the current winner. Catch presented to Stewie. Lisa Leslie presented to KML. EDD presented to both Megan walker and Christyn Williams.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

EDD must be the Gatorade spokeswoman. She also presented this award to KLS in a surprise ceremony at Mater Dei High School.
I think Lisa Leslie gave the trophy to Kaleena.
Tamika Catchings gave it to Breanna Stewart.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
FT 121-134 90.3%

I'll see what other numbers I can find.
Sounds about right--90+% and about 4 FTAs per game. Of the 121 makes, probably 30 or so hit the rim.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Here is a crazy way out there in the future prediction. Azzi will make the 2024 Olympic team in the summer immediately before her senior season at UCONN.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom