Azzi assesses her progress in summer session | The Boneyard

Azzi assesses her progress in summer session

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Nice follow on with Azzi delving into her progress in summer session

UConn women’s freshman Azzi Fudd already standing out with amazing footwork, textbook shooting and an air of confidence - Hartford Courant

“I’ve learned a lot,” Fudd said. “Coach [Auriemma] has a lot of knowledge. I knew that he was smart and he knew a lot of stuff, but it’s different being on the outside and being in it. So I’ve definitely learned a lot of stuff from him and the other coaches.”

And how is she liking Auriemma?
“I love him so far,” Fudd laughed. “[And] I have not gotten yelled at yet.”

Fudd said she’s homed in on improving the small details to her game, like moving your defender without dribbling and running backdoor plays.
“I was never really good backdoor cutter,” she said, “so I’ve definitely gotten a lot better at that and my backdoor passes.”

“[I’m] trying to just keep pushing,” Fudd continued. “I have made so much progress, more progress than I thought I would in these four or five weeks that we’ve been here, so I’m really happy with that.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Nice follow on with Azzi delving into her progress in summer session

UConn women’s freshman Azzi Fudd already standing out with amazing footwork, textbook shooting and an air of confidence - Hartford Courant

“I’ve learned a lot,” Fudd said. “Coach [Auriemma] has a lot of knowledge. I knew that he was smart and he knew a lot of stuff, but it’s different being on the outside and being in it. So I’ve definitely learned a lot of stuff from him and the other coaches.”

And how is she liking Auriemma?
“I love him so far,” Fudd laughed. “[And] I have not gotten yelled at yet.”

Fudd said she’s homed in on improving the small details to her game, like moving your defender without dribbling and running backdoor plays.
“I was never really good backdoor cutter,” she said, “so I’ve definitely gotten a lot better at that and my backdoor passes.”

“[I’m] trying to just keep pushing,” Fudd continued. “I have made so much progress, more progress than I thought I would in these four or five weeks that we’ve been here, so I’m really happy with that.”
This is just the tip of the iceberg. She's going to learn so much during her freshman year. SMH. As good as she is, and as good as she will be this coming year, imagine how much better she'll be after she's been around the block once, and has a full year of experience under her belt. There is high school and AAU experience, then there's D1 WCBB experience against elite teams. Don't be surprised if Azzi is voted 1st team AA next year.

How much better (if that's possible) is Paige going to be as she enters year two? She's been around the block once already, she knows what to expect, and has adjusted to the speed and rigors of the game at this level. Having reached the final four will also pay HUGE dividends experience wise for our team this year. We all know there's no substitute for experience. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see if there's fewer "impact freshman" this coming year, since so many of them missed some/much of their senior years of HS.
Nice to hear that Azzi is very advanced for her age. Should make up for the lost senior year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I’m really alarmed that Geno hasn’t yelled at Azzi yet. He’s becoming a giant Italian marshmallow………
Hardly OD, lol. He’s just waiting for the right moment when it will have the most affect! :confused: You know it’s coming, as sure as a morning sunrise……it’s coming.:cool: He didn’t want to spook her during this first session of summer practices.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
who was #2? not DT, Maya, Stewie, or even Paige
I'll try to remember. I think that it was briefly mentioned in one of the SNY Undefeated shows.

Reaction Score
It'll be interesting to see if there's fewer "impact freshman" this coming year, since so many of them missed some/much of their senior years of HS.
Nice to hear that Azzi is very advanced for her age. Should make up for the lost senior year.
IMO I think Azzi will be the only impact freshman. I think Caroline will could have some moments, but don’t think she’ll consistently impactful. I see Azzi being the only freshmen to get big minutes in big games. That’s just how I see it, I hope I’ll be proven wrong.

Reaction Score
IMO I think Azzi will be the only impact freshman.
For UConn yeah probably. With the returning depth, will be fewer opportunities for major frosh minutes unless their really good out of the box.

Tho I was talking about all of WCBB -- whether there will be fewer impact frosh both because of HS + returning 5th year/covid seniors.

Reaction Score
For UConn yeah probably. With the returning depth, will be fewer opportunities for major frosh minutes unless their really good out of the box.

Tho I was talking about all of WCBB -- whether there will be fewer impact frosh both because of HS + returning 5th year/covid seniors.
Oops! Totally misread. Great point, I’m wondering that also.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I always liked when Geno did the "Kia Nurse" with the finger wagging. Did Geno use first name / last name on any other player?

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
In 9th grade, Azzi looked like a college player. Geno reportedly said she could have given us 15 good minutes that year.

Carnac

Reaction Score
In 9th grade, Azzi looked like a college player. Geno reportedly said she could have given us 15 good minutes that year.
Lots of reasons UConn will play in front of sold out gyms and arenas on the road this season. WCBB fans will want to see Paige, Azzi and the rest of our girls. They’ll want to see if they can live up to the hype even though Paige already has.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lots of reasons UConn will play in front of sold out gyms and arenas on the road this season. WCBB fans will want to see Paige, Azzi and the rest of our girls. They’ll want to see if they can live up to the hype even though Paige already has.
As Geno says, “Everyone wants to see the circus when it comes to town.”

Reaction Score
Did he yell at Maya? Wouldn't she be Precious II? Or, as Milford Husky said, Kelly Faris?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom