Azzi: “We’re going to be a nasty team with everyone healthy.” | The Boneyard

Azzi: “We’re going to be a nasty team with everyone healthy.”

Reaction Score
“It’s going to be very scary, and definitely scary for our opponents,” Fudd said. “We’re going to be a nasty team with everyone healthy.”

Soft-speaking Azzi, so declares!

Sometime in December, I declared that Paige's absence will be good for the development of this UConn team and I picked them to win the NC. Little did I know that the path had many potholes and little ones still keep showing up. However, it has indeed given a chance for each potential contributor to have their moment in the Sun. Dorka, followed by Caroline, the return of the player Christyn can be, the return of hardnosed Nika, Evina getting comfortable in her new role, and finally Azzi showing the game everyone expected of her along with Aaliyah finally playing with the confidence and resolve of late last year. Each one took it upon themselves to grow individually....and now working on it as a team and showing progress.

These developments reinforce each uplifting event for the team as they slowly return to full health. So, when Paige returns, I expect it to be a quick adjustment in raising the level and spirits of the team heading into the two tournaments: Big East and NCAA.

Despite the abundance of cautious prognosticators here in the BY who will have their say of course, I am doubling down on that declaration in December. The 12th is coming!!

As the coach said, “Paige is the kind of kid, she doesn’t care if she takes any shots,” Auriemma said. “So that’s one more distributor, one more smart decision-maker, one more defender. Caroline will just keep being Caroline. She’s found her niche. That’s her role, and you can just kind of play it by ear every game. Somebody’s got it going, let’s go with her, like Azzi today. We could be a good team in March. If we make the NCAA Tournament, we’re going to be a tough out.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I love what Azzi said. I got goosebumps. What could possible develop is potentially scary, Strength In Numbers. That helped the Golden State Warriors win 3 out of 4 NBA Titles. Talented as UConn is, it is all about the sum of the parts. That chemistry that has developed since players were out for various reasons. That confidence boost for players like Caroline and now Azzi. Playing unselfishly is going to be the key. It should not matter who gets the most points. Or the most touches. Or who comes off the bench for the 2nd Unit. If they can play with that mindset going forward, Ooooweee!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“It’s going to be very scary, and definitely scary for our opponents,” Fudd said. “We’re going to be a nasty team with everyone healthy.”

Soft-speaking Azzi, so declares!

Sometime in December, I declared that Paige's absence will be good for the development of this UConn team and I picked them to win the NC. Little did I know that the path had many potholes and little ones still keep showing up. However, it has indeed given a chance for each potential contributor to have their moment in the Sun. Dorka, followed by Caroline, the return of the player Christyn can be, the return of hardnosed Nika, Evina getting comfortable in her new role, and finally Azzi showing the game everyone expected of her along with Aaliyah finally playing with the confidence and resolve of late last year. Each one took it upon themselves to grow individually....and now working on it as a team and showing progress.

These developments reinforce each uplifting event for the team as they slowly return to full health. So, when Paige returns, I expect it to be a quick adjustment in raising the level and spirits of the team heading into the two tournaments: Big East and NCAA.

Despite the abundance of cautious prognosticators here in the BY who will have their say of course, I am doubling down on that declaration in December. The 12th is coming!!

As the coach said, “Paige is the kind of kid, she doesn’t care if she takes any shots,” Auriemma said. “So that’s one more distributor, one more smart decision-maker, one more defender. Caroline will just keep being Caroline. She’s found her niche. That’s her role, and you can just kind of play it by ear every game. Somebody’s got it going, let’s go with her, like Azzi today. We could be a good team in March. If we make the NCAA Tournament, we’re going to be a tough out.”
As a die-hard UConn fan, I must admit that I like that kind of talk. I like a little “swag” in my players. If they don’t have confidence in themselves, why should anyone else?

It reminds us of what Kia Nurse’s father called her at times while she was here: “a nasty piece of business.” I always loved Kia’s nasty. :cool: She could shoot the 3, and she could lock down her man and stay in front of her.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everything works out for the best. The potential for a team this deep that plays like a team is very good to really go really deep into the tournament.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
No doubt, fully loaded we are really good. Winning it all would be great. I think it’s still likely going to come down to how our interior defenders handle the strong inside game of some of the other top teams. Sure is nice having a few shooters who we expect can make a big percent of their shots game after game.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
As a die-hard UConn fan, I must admit that I like that kind of talk. I like a little “swag” in my players. If they don’t have confidence in themselves, why should anyone else?

It reminds us of what Kia Nurse’s father called her at times while she was here: “a nasty piece of business.” I always loved Kia’s nasty. :cool: She could shoot the 3, and she could lock down her man and stay in front of her.
I'm with you 100%. At times over the last few years, Geno has bemoaned how the team has been "too nice." This is just the kind of gauntlet I want to see the team throw down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom