Azura has been a rock... | The Boneyard

Azura has been a rock...

Reaction Score
If she enters the draft a lot of wnba scouts would have a tough time choosing between AJ and her. Bet on it !

Reaction Score
I know this is sacrilege, but I'm beginning to think that they play better with Z in. As fantastic athletes as the other 5 are, Z is unique in a way that they others are not. Z's not yet Stewie--might never be--but like Stewie, she can't be defended in the same way the others can. Not that I have the faintest idea who then becomes the 6th man--or whether it even matters, as they share minutes pretty fairly.

Reaction Score
I know this is sacrilege, but I'm beginning to think that they play better with Z in. As fantastic athletes as the other 5 are, Z is unique in a way that they others are not. Z's not yet Stewie--might never be--but like Stewie, she can't be defended in the same way the others can. Not that I have the faintest idea who then becomes the 6th man--or whether it even matters, as they share minutes pretty fairly.
Don't even think this is the elephant in the room any longer - it's just too obvious. I suspect Z's fine with remaining the 6th man this year, in deference to not benching any of the returning All Americans. And she gets plenty of minutes - especially now that her defense is improving. Z will be a beast next year - unstoppable.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
She continues to be a rock in the 2H, and she's doing it against a damn good top 25 and second best AAC team. The graphic shown indicated she's the highest scoring player on the team per 40 minutes. Not to take anything away from Gabby's brilliant performance, but Azura has arrived!

Reaction Score
While I agree with you, in these past games where she is playing like we expected, it has been against teams where she has a huge size advantage. Baylor, SC, MSST, etc... is where she is going to prove her worth towards winning the NC. Against those teams where they can have more than one big in the paint, it will be interesting if she can both perform the same way and stay out of foul trouble.

I love the way she played these past few games and I do not mean the numbers alone. The comfort level with her teammates and overall confidence could not have arrived at a better time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Yes, it is sacrilege, and I'm glad you bring this up. I've had the same thoughts lately. On offense, she's an incredible safety valve: When in doubt or when times are tough, toss it up to her near the basket and usually something good happens.

Reaction Score
Z has played so very well lately and I believe except for maybe a few blips (as almost has to take place for almost anyone) this will continue in to the tournament.
She truly is becoming a force to be reckoned with inside on the offensive end. Her defense is improved noticeably but still has a ways to go. Assuming she stays and I can't see how it makes any sense for her to leave, she will be a beast next year and maybe she & KLS will be the primary considerations for NPOY.
This is why she came to U Conn! To got through all the tearing down and rebuilding of her game; to totally accepting not starting; to accepting she's one of six very important cogs and not the main woman as she'd be at 95% of the other programs!
She will be a very important part of the 12th NC!
Bravo AZ!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Seems like Geno has it right for now. Have more speed on the court early in the game and see if the girls can get early turnovers and fast breaks, then as things slow down and the offense starts to get stagnant bring in Z to get some easy buckets down low. Also, keeps her out of early foul trouble, although lately she seems to be playing smarter in that regard.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Not sacrilege at all. Its understanding how UConn wants to play a particular opponent. Does UConn want to play "small" or play "tall" - paraphrasing Geno. Geno says they have 6 starters - he's right. Z coming off the bench creates instant problems for the opposition. Gabby, Pheesa and Lou around the basket present problems for anybody and Z takes it to another level. Going back and forth between tall and small keeps the opposition guessing - its like a chess match and Geno is a master.

We have also seen the "chemistry " problems of earlier in the season have disappeared. Crystal and Z have the pick and roll down and now Lou and Z have it down. It was all a matter of time. I also like Z taking the 15 to 18 foot jumper. She only needs to make a couple per game to keep defenses honest.

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
If she enters the draft
woman-hand-making-sign-crossing-fingers-picture-id509369492

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I have spent this season at times more than a little frustrated by Azura', but she's Z to me now. I think now she has found her heart for the game. There will continue to be games that ask her big questions, but I'm a believer that she has the heart to try to answer them. I just stumbled into a video on YouTube that has been up for almost 3 months and only a couple of dozen views, probably because it is one of those still montage and text products, but in my view it is done beautifully and it's about Z's journey and the background music is not crazy, but beautiful too. So, without further adieu:

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last one, I promise. It's a UCTV one that I'll bet at least some of you have seen. It's from early in the year, but it has good stuff.

Reaction Score
Z is A #1 with me. I like the long twos that she has taken and made lately. But I think that it makes sense to send Gabby out there first, wear the other team out, and then put Azura in. What a crusher for the spirits of the opponent!

Reaction Score
let's just hope that Geno didn't do too good a job refining Azura's total game.................she is very much needed next season............

Reaction Score
...at both ends of the floor.
Anyone who watched the Baylor/Texas game saw all the bigs on both teams totally gassed at the end of game. Walked up floor. Z often starts and finishes fast breaks. Just a clinic on her pick and roll game. Definitely in UConn mode at season end.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom