Aztecs: They're not coming, probably..... | The Boneyard

Aztecs: They're not coming, probably.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Where's Warde? They're due at the Rent this fall...

Reaction Score
I really don't care about the Aztecs.

Honestly.

Their fans were a bunch of dopes during the S16 in 2011.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You know, I hope they aren't coming. Without Boise their inclusion makes zero sense, if it ever did. Let's build a somewhat more geographically sensible conference.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
You know, I hope they aren't coming. Without Boise their inclusion makes zero sense, if it ever did. Let's build a somewhat more geographically sensible conference.
Agreed. Why hang on to them and then tag team with Fresno or some other outlier. This is going to be an allsports league I bet.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Don't let the door hit you on the way out......honestly, they aren't needed anymore. No team to pair them with so let's be done with the fb-only garbage and make it an all sports league....not sure where that leaves Navy but we'll see come 2015

Alum86

Reaction Score
Then only 6.

Towson State, Aug. 29
Maryland, Sept. 14
Michigan, Sept. 21
Louisville, TBA
Rutgers, TBA
San Diego State, TBA<-----guess not
South Florida, TBA

Alum86

Reaction Score
Any media article like this has always led to bad news. Just want
To know if I need to bring the grill out 6 or seven times, and would rather see SDSU than most of the alternatives, if at all.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to lose a home game over whether or not San Diego State comes or not.

We'll still have 4 BE home games and 4 BE away games. We'll just play someone we weren't scheduled to originally.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't think we're going to lose a home game over whether or not San Diego State comes or not.

We'll still have 4 BE home games and 4 BE away games. We'll just play someone we weren't scheduled to originally.

This.

The league is going to have to make up all of SDSU's games, and even if not, we will likely try to pick up an OOC if we don't. I'm not sure the OOC will be anyone more attractive than let's say UMass or something like that, but I think that a seventh game will happen regardless...

EDIT: Don't look now, but Tulane has some open dates... :eek:

CL82

Reaction Score
This.

The league is going to have to make up all of SDSU's games, and even if not, we will likely try to pick up an OOC if we don't. I'm not sure the OOC will be anyone more attractive than let's say UMass or something like that, but I think that a seventh game will happen regardless...

EDIT: Don't look now, but Tulane has some open dates... :eek:
You know, I don't mind the UMass having built up a considerable rivalry with them from the Yankee Conference days. They may not be all that appealing to anyone else though.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You know, I don't mind the UMass having built up a considerable rivalry with them from the Yankee Conference days. They may not be all that appealing to anyone else though.

Don't get me wrong; there's still a part of me that hates UMass too, and I still have a little bit of leftover rivalry in my heart for them. But right now, there's no doubt that they are crap-tastic. And if we are viewing this thing as a temporary arrangement until we find something better (I have to assume that everyone in the Big East feels the same way), then Army is the better strategic move in my opinion. Slightly better football, with a bigger fanbase and still local to us...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The good part about playing Army is that you're basically going to get someone you can beat up and no one takes you to task for playing them. (Unless you're Boston College and then you go ahead and lose to 'em.)

Plus, you get one of the nicest road trips you can possibly get, provided you don't drive off Storm King Mountain on the way there.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The fact that there isn't even a hint of interest in a western division indicates that there is no TV interest in a western division. Bad sign.

I am surprised that Aresco is sticking around. No one would blame him at all for simply walking away from this whole situation given that 14 of the 17 schools he was supposed to work for have left themselves.

Reaction Score
The fact that there isn't even a hint of interest in a western division indicates that there is no TV interest in a western division. Bad sign.

I am surprised that Aresco is sticking around. No one would blame him at all for simply walking away from this whole situation given that 14 of the 17 schools he was supposed to work for have left themselves.

Where do you read this in the Tea leaves>?

Aresco has had no "Programmic asset" to pitch. And, with UConn & Cincinnat hinting, his job is just incredibly hard. I do think that a San Diego outlet, in a full day of NBC/Comcast Saturday programming, can make sense. But, no TV interest? The Pac 12 got a huge contract - which amazed me. As someone who went to a Pac12 school, their games are often still playing around midnight here. The eyeballs are skewed towards us in the East.

Reaction Score

I'm sure there was interest if it was going to include BYU, Boise, SDSU, Air Force etc. Once that went by the wayside, and those schools (at least BYU and Air Force) were wise to wait things out as the Big East schools continued their crabs in a barrel routine, the East West idea died. Without those schools it isn't worth it.

Reaction Score
You all are jumping the shark.

I believe that Aresco, in contrast to Marinatto, has been led around by his Network friends. Ultimately carving a league of Big Market Universities with a pattern that some analysts is directing. We may see a Western wing. And then, if we don't, you'll criticize him for that. But, he is responding to his media contacts.

Boise - at Neilson 100 - would have been a more interesting discussion, I think, if it was located in Tampa or Atlanta.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Boise - at Neilson 100 - would have been a more interesting discussion, I think, if it was located in Tampa or Atlanta.

If it was above 100, I think a bigger conference may have gobbled them up a long time ago. I'm thinking Big XII.

Good to see some folks finally realizing that there is no interest in an cross-country conference of crap. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Stay east, please. Stop forcing something that cannot work.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
If it was above 100, I think a bigger conference may have gobbled them up a long time ago. I'm thinking Big XII.

Good to see some folks finally realizing that there is no interest in an cross-country conference of crap. Don't say I didn't warn you.

Stay east, please. Stop forcing something that cannot work.

They still wouldn't want them. It's a glorified community college. They have no other decent sports programs, and they compete in part because their academic standards are zero. Nobody wants such a school to be invited to the big time. They will fade away.

Cross-country league was never going to work. It's just a bad idea. If we want to schedule western teams OOC we can still do so.

Reaction Score
They still wouldn't want them. It's a glorified community college. They have no other decent sports programs, and they compete in part because their academic standards are zero. Nobody wants such a school to be invited to the big time. They will fade away.

Cross-country league was never going to work. It's just a bad idea. If we want to schedule western teams OOC we can still do so.

Are you including basketball?

CL82

Reaction Score
The cross country idea was bourne of the need to upgrade football. It was the excuse that would make Boise and BYU plausible additions. When they lost interest in it, the justification for fell apart quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom