AZ State - Ekmark | Page 2 | The Boneyard

AZ State - Ekmark

Reaction Score
Correct. And she finished her BA degree work at UConn. She finished what she started, and moved on to GeoMason for her graduate work. The word “transfer” really doesn’t apply to her.
Natalie is a 'graduate transfer'. I also feel she probably wouldn't have 'transferred for academics' had Z not showed up. But she indicated she was dealing with personal issues, so who knows...?

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Natalie is a 'graduate transfer'...

That may be a term coined by the sports media. I doubt that college admissions offices would use it.

Reaction Score
That may be a term coined by the sports media. I doubt that college admissions offices would use it.
Whatever. I think college athletic offices use it. Athletically speaking, she could have stayed and played her senior year of eligibility, but she 'transferred' to another program.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
When a player commits to UCONN, she doesn't do it JUST to be part of a NC team; she does it because she BELIEVES she can compete against the best players there are in the best program there is, and that belief is validated by the fact that UCONN recruited her. A player wants to play; what is the point of winning 4 NCs in your college career where you only get to play garbage minutes? What kind of achievement and satisfaction an athlete would have in that?

At some point you realize, perhaps to your own disappointment, that your abilities fall a bit short of the level needed to earn quality playing time at UCONN, but still more than enough to shine elsewhere (though not likely to win NCs), you decide to transfer. To me it is the most rational thing to do, and Ekmark is a prime example of this (Butler's situation was similar but not identical to Ekmark's; I don't believe Butler would have transferred without the arrival of Z).

I have read a lot of posters on this board claiming that winning NCs is everything, nothing else matters. NO, the world does not work that way. Yes, you want to win NCs, but you want to win them with your active participation.

Exactly. If I were a player, I'd rather be a bigger contributor on an okay or good team rather than ride the pine most of (if not all of) my career. To Ekmark's credit, she gave UCONN a shot and I'm sure did her best, but she wanted to play in games and realized that wouldn't happen there. I'm sure we'll see more players at UCONN and other schools make similar choices when it's apparent that they're never going to be a big contributor for their program.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Courtney is playing higher level competition this year than Natalie is, but Nat is more effective, as she was at UConn.

I hope Nat gets a chance to play more games in the WNIT.

Both players are good enough to contribute at the Division I level. The UConn level is a different realm.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Ekmark is a great example why more players should leave top programs as early as possible. Plant life intelligence knew Ekmark was doomed the whole time she was at UConn. If you like riding the bench by all means enjoy your experience. If not, find a school you can play at and enhance WBB. She could have been playing for Az State a year earlier if she left after her frosh year. It’s tragic how many players lose years riding the bench with top programs while they could help other teams and make WBB more exciting.
I, for one, would have liked her to be on this team. She would have been a contributor this year when we need some help.

Reaction Score
Natalie is a 'graduate transfer'. I also feel she probably wouldn't have 'transferred for academics' had Z not showed up. But she indicated she was dealing with personal issues, so who knows...?
Remember that Camara showed up as well. Likely Nat just wanted to pursue a variety of things - academics as well as sports. Doubt it was any one issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom